• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Monday May 7, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2495

Yeah. The golem must be destroyed. Definitely no sympathy.

Also, Mantle of Heka proved he didn't get the job just because he has connections. Although I don't believe he send the golem flying over ocean. For one, I suspect that the necessary speed would be over orbital speed ... wait ... EDIT: No. Apparently it's rocket science and can't be verified by few minutes of googling. But maybe not. It's "just" quarter of earth circumference away.

For two, I suspect the necessary speed would melt the golem.

For third, it would be BIG luck to hit land with such trajectory.

Comparison with Juggernaut is not fair. First, it wasn't THAT far. Second, he's unstoppable - I mean, can't be destroyed.

Also, ancient Uryumocco confirmed.

No rocket science. Fragments of anguishes past. Recovered by academe.

Slash the Michelin Man's tires.

How would they all evade the ray is downright interesting. There will be one hit nevertheless.

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, but comparing it to modern Uryumocco would probably be like comparing Common English to Latin, though Latin of course isn't long forgotten but it's very niche in it's usage today.

Now I really gotta wonder what the ancient Uryuom's beef was with Humans and how they came to been friends now. I guess it's not unheard of since historically the American's and British were bitter enemies after the revolution but then they became friends 100 years after the war of 1812. So I can't really blame the golem for being out of the loop and that the war with Humans was over ages ago.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, but comparing it to modern Uryumocco would probably be like comparing Common English to Latin, though Latin of course isn't long forgotten but it's very niche in it's usage today.

So far it actually seem like comparing current English to Shakespeare one.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Now I really gotta wonder what the ancient Uryuom's beef was with Humans and how they came to been friends now. I guess it's not unheard of since historically the American's and British were bitter enemies after the revolution but then they became friends 100 years after the war of 1812.

Or look at Germany and France. Who would say how close friends they would be later considering their relationship during second world war.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

So I can't really blame the golem for being out of the loop and that the war with Humans was over ages ago.

That's why the most important device on any machine is internal chronometer. Any war machine should suppose that no order is valid for more than 100 years and if more than 1000 years passed, it's certainly museum exhibit now.

Just now, hkmaly said:

That's why the most important device on any machine is internal chronometer. Any war machine should suppose that no order is valid for more than 100 years and if more than 1000 years passed, it's certainly museum exhibit now.

The golem may remember what happened ages ago, but the amount of damage might have affected it's logic and make it believe that it needs to finish what it's creators started, or maybe it does have a will of it's own now and and is pissed off about getting blasted by Heka.  Maybe it developed a superiority complex.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Or look at Germany and France. Who would say how close friends they would be later considering their relationship during second world war.

Even Japan and the rest of the world, they thought that conquering the world required an iron fist and military prowess, when all they really needed was a firm grasp on technology and business, and Anime.

One should not underestimate guardians of ancient, mystical places, especially if they're willing to be polite. If they weren't powerful enough to deter any attackers, then the places they guard wouldn't have lasted to become ancient. And politeness on their part means that you aren't a threat to them and they would rather not take the time cleaning up your remains.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:
7 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Given that Dan's commentary states that modern Uryuoms wouldn't understand the ancient language, it's at least like comparing modern English and Old English (like what the original poem of Beowulf was written in) as modern English speakers can understand Shakespearean English(also known as Early Modern English), albeit with some difficulty.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:
7 hours ago, Scotty said:

So I can't really blame the golem for being out of the loop and that the war with Humans was over ages ago.

Yes, but the golem has been inoperable for all that time, with it's systems and functionality being actively suppressed. Any internal chronometer likely wasn't running either, so while the golem can obviously tell it's not at the library any more, it most certainly doesn't know how much time has passed.

19 hours ago, partner555 said:

Why the hell did ancient Uryuoms not like humans?

Why don't humans like humans?  One hundred words or fewer, please.

Modern English is even older than Shakespeare (ca. 1600).
Even Chaucer's Middle English (ca. 1400) can be understood by Modern English speakers if they know some archaic words and grammar.

Old English is the collection of dialects south of Scotland and east of Wales from the era after the Romans abandoned the place, through the era when those annoying Jutes were "peacefully" colonizing Britain, up to to the era when the French speaking Vikings were not so peaceful about it (pre 1100).

If there were still living populations speaking the various dialects we now call Old English, we almost certainly wouldn't lump them all together as a single language.  I would not be surprised if the ancient forms of Uryuomco were similarly diverse.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The golem may remember what happened ages ago, but the amount of damage might have affected it's logic and make it believe that it needs to finish what it's creators started, or maybe it does have a will of it's own now and and is pissed off about getting blasted by Heka.  Maybe it developed a superiority complex.

I would say it's definitely pissed off, and the question is if capability to get pissed off is part of his programming or bug.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

Even Japan and the rest of the world, they thought that conquering the world required an iron fist and military prowess, when all they really needed was a firm grasp on technology and business, and Anime.

Japan and (south) Korea don't like each other, does they? And seems that they are competing in that conquering the world by technology now ... on the other hand, on the anime front, Japan won. Some even say that anime by definition can only be made in Japan ... flawless victory.

14 hours ago, Drasvin said:

One should not underestimate guardians of ancient, mystical places, especially if they're willing to be polite. If they weren't powerful enough to deter any attackers, then the places they guard wouldn't have lasted to become ancient. And politeness on their part means that you aren't a threat to them and they would rather not take the time cleaning up your remains.

YES.

Given that Dan's commentary states that modern Uryuoms wouldn't understand the ancient language, it's at least like comparing modern English and Old English (like what the original poem of Beowulf was written in) as modern English speakers can understand Shakespearean English(also known as Early Modern English), albeit with some difficulty.

I agree that it's what Dan SAID. However, by making the "Algolem" he undermined that position.

There is also the additional point of Uryuom generally learning language in few seconds. How well this knowledge work? We can assume Elliot wouldn't be able to understand the golem, would he be able to realize he's speaking in ancient Uryuom? And if we wouldn't, would someone else we know have better chance recognizing it?

Yes, but the golem has been inoperable for all that time, with it's systems and functionality being actively suppressed. Any internal chronometer likely wasn't running either, so while the golem can obviously tell it's not at the library any more, it most certainly doesn't know how much time has passed.

That's likely true and proves that the ones building it underestimated the importance of internal chronometer. They should make it more resistant to suppression.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
22 hours ago, partner555 said:

Why the hell did ancient Uryuoms not like humans?

Because, being humans, they KNOW humans.

Given the discussion in the previous thread about the "Uryuoms" lack of antennae, I'm surprised no one's mentioned that the leader of the group here does have antennae now and apparently the rest of the group were golems. I do wonder why the antennae didn't show up in the Friday comic; were they somehow hidden, or did Dan forget to draw them?

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Given the discussion in the previous thread about the "Uryuoms" lack of antennae, I'm surprised no one's mentioned that the leader of the group here does have antennae now and apparently the rest of the group were golems. I do wonder why the antennae didn't show up in the Friday comic; were they somehow hidden, or did Dan forget to draw them?

May 4th's comic showed that there were at least 2 Uryuoms  among the golems, they both had ponytails but yeah, no antenna.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:12 AM, The Old Hack said:
On 5/8/2018 at 4:04 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Z8L0qdA.jpg

Other questions here. I especially like biology and extra credit.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

May 4th's comic showed that there were at least 2 Uryuoms  among the golems, they both had ponytails but yeah, no antenna.

The "leader" might be the Uryuom on left of May 4th comic, which only highlights the problem of missing antennae ...

But yes ; we definitely should've discussed this.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

There were at least two beings with ponytails (I think I see a third one in the lower right corner of the final panel of the May 4th comic). However with everything in shadow, one (or two) of them might have been golems with ponytails and we wouldn't be able to tell the difference with any certainty.

17 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

There were at least two beings with ponytails (I think I see a third one in the lower right corner of the final panel of the May 4th comic). However with everything in shadow, one (or two) of them might have been golems with ponytails and we wouldn't be able to tell the difference with any certainty.

I see that third one now, the speech bubble made me think it was part of one of the golems.