• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Wednesday 23 May 2018

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Be careful of what you wish for...

Yes, seems Ashley forgot to mention one disadvantage - that the transformation will also make him girl. (Still doesn't explain his height.)

Still, compared to average genie, I think he ended up well.

(Disclaimer: Average Genie based on stories about Genies. I'm not talking about real life Genies nor canon EGS Genies. Although ... based on existing canon it seems likely all genies in EGS were actually fairies alias immortals and the effect of the wishes they fulfilled was exactly what you would expect from fairies ...)

(Hmmm ... can you imagine a genie story where nothing will go wrong with the wishes?

Main Hero: "I want to become a classical Mary Sue"

Genie: "So be it. ... you have two more wishes but I see you don't need them now.")

I blame Rhoda being the devil in all the shrinkenings.

"I Dream of Georgie"? More genie changies and this kind of naming will keep up.

On 5/23/2018 at 5:46 PM, hkmaly said:

(Hmmm ... can you imagine a genie story where nothing will go wrong with the wishes?

Main Hero: "I want to become a classical Mary Sue"

Genie: "So be it. ... you have two more wishes but I see you don't need them now.")

Eh, then the drama just becomes about people fighting over the "lamp" (or whatever item allows you to control the genie). Not a perfect example, as he did nothing to protect Jaffar from the side effects of his final wish, but the Genie from Disney's Aladdin usually fulfilled wishes faithfully and without unexpected downsides (again, except that one time).

Also, considering that classic Mary Sues often have tragic backstories, wishing to be one might not be the best choice if your backstory isn't currently tragic... Even being the invincible main character that's always right and everyone who isn't a jerk (or worse) admires can have it's price...

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Eh, then the drama just becomes about people fighting over the "lamp" (or whatever item allows you to control the genie). Not a perfect example, as he did nothing to protect Jaffar from the side effects of his final wish, but the Genie from Disney's Aladdin usually fulfilled wishes faithfully and without unexpected downsides (again, except that one time).

True. Alternatively, there can be story which would END with Genie granting that wish, with the drama being some sort of dungeon crawl with the "lamp" as price. Which would work even better if the lamp activation wouldn't be as simple as rubbing it.

Also, considering that classic Mary Sues often have tragic backstories, wishing to be one might not be the best choice if your backstory isn't currently tragic... Even being the invincible main character that's always right and everyone who isn't a jerk (or worse) admires can have it's price...

I think that classic Mary Sue has NO backstory, that the tragic past was later invention. Also, wouldn't adding tragic backstory count as unexpected downside in that case? Just as the "tragic death to be mourned by all" would be, although that was in the story the Mary Sue trope was named by.

(In any case, the wording of the wish doesn't need to be so fourth-wall breaking. It's just that the more general your wish is, the more potential of bad consequences it has for Genie who wants to exploit them.)

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, wouldn't adding tragic backstory count as unexpected downside in that case?

Actually, that was my point - that (assuming there was no "wish acts exactly as you expect it to" clause) that would not be a wish with no potential downsides.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:00 PM, hkmaly said:

Also, wouldn't adding tragic backstory count as unexpected downside in that case?

Actually, that was my point - that (assuming there was no "wish acts exactly as you expect it to" clause) that would not be a wish with no potential downsides.

I was sorta implying either such cause is in effect or that the genie is in so good mood he will let it slide.

of course, thinking about it, IF the Genie can add tragic backstory, it means he can change past and can do it again. So, on second wish, Mary Sue can fix that. Now, she's Mary Sue, so she certainly KNOWS how, and the Genie would be total jerk if he would do something unexpected on her second wish anyway because only total jerks don't love Mary Sue.