• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story, Friday May 25, 2018

http://www.egscomics.com/comic/2018-05-25

... wait ... when did comix url started including date again?

Anyway:

I would really like to see Nanase reaction. Was looking forward to it whole time, despite not knowing how cool would that be. Apparently, Dan decided it would be better to skip it.

The timeline was apparently very tight: There couldn't be THAT much time between the date of date with Nanase before the lightshow appeared, AND Nanase was able to confirm Elliot and Ashley were missing before Tedd returned from the dream conference ...

Hmmm ... how far did Nanase and Grace get? How many people saw them? How many CARED after the lightshow?

How long would take them to find Ellen in the warehouse? Apparently, even with Edward help, they were not able to use the phones to locate them. I suppose they were not just off but also left home ... or with batteries disconnected, if not both.

Hmmm ... Mr. Verres left work early to check on Tedd ... was it because Grace was concerned? Or was it because Arthur told him about the conference and Edward decided it's more important to check his son than to protect national security? ... actually, not only it's understandable AND Edward was shown as overprotective before, protecting Tedd COULD be easily manner of national security now.

I was sorta right, in that a large number of people ended up acting as cavalry, but they didn't "Ride to the rescue", but were working on doing that.

Hmm, I think I agree with Arthur....given the circumstances, that doesn't sound all that bad.  I wonder how many times over that was repeated, on a smaller scale due to lack of magic build-up, elsewhere in the country?  That is, people with magic revealing their powers in response to the light show etc.

Well, I was wondering about how much time had passed. Without putting an exact number on the clock, I think we can safely say that the time since the mall incident has been significant.

Depending on the nature of the "Business" to which Edward was attending, a potential family crisis may have been a convenient excuse to leave early.

And yet again, the Veres family manages to skirt the underlying issues by a bigger distraction.  I suppose that exploding aberrations and "Fate-of-Magic" debates may be a more immediate issue.  But someday Tedd and Edward really need to discuss what it is to be a seer, Noriko, and gender identity. They really do respect and care for each other, but the topics had been so awkward and uncomfortable to address for so long that the silence has become a habit. 

There will likely be more explaining and such needed for loved ones, but at least the situation has been diffused enough that they can stop worrying about where they are.

And given what had happened over the night, a couple people flying around Moperville is unlikely to attract any attention towards magic that the global lightshow wouldn't have.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

I was sorta right, in that a large number of people ended up acting as cavalry, but they didn't "Ride to the rescue", but were working on doing that.

Likely the only reason they didn't is the fact they didn't know where to go. Unfortunately, Magus and Sirleck were such an out-of-context threat for the main cast that the cavalry would have to more or less trip over the location they were needed at. A problem further complicated by how far away the facility is.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

.. wait ... when did comix url started including date again?

When the server went down for maintenance it was apparently one of the changes made, Dan wasn't aware of it till people pointed it out and he didn't ask for the change either.

And apparently the URL takes from the page title which is most of the time the date, but....

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... Mr. Verres left work early to check on Tedd ... was it because Grace was concerned? Or was it because Arthur told him about the conference and Edward decided it's more important to check his son than to protect national security? ... actually, not only it's understandable AND Edward was shown as overprotective before, protecting Tedd COULD be easily manner of national security now.

Pretty certain that was mean to mean Grace left work early to help with the search, she would have been at the comic book shop helping Justin run another card tournament, Nanase would have called Grace after getting no answer from the Verres house and thinking that Tedd might be at the comic shop, Grace would say that Edward is off on business but that Tedd wasn't with her, then she would try getting a hold of Tedd herself and get worried when he didn't answer the phone. Justin would have let Grace go home early to check on things as well as help Nanase so I would imagine that he knows something happened, but he wouldn't be able to just end the tournament there and close up.

18 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I suppose that exploding aberrations and "Fate-of-Magic" debates may be a more immediate issue.  But someday Tedd and Edward really need to discuss what it is to be a seer, Noriko, and gender identity. They really do respect and care for each other, but the topics had been so awkward and uncomfortable to address for so long that the silence has become a habit. 

That sounds like we'll be getting to the Edward and Tedd stuff soon. It's possible that Edward's "business" can't be put on hold (like another group of rampaging deathless army of rage that needed to be exposited into leaving Earth alone) So he probably doesn't know anything has happened yet.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

That is, people with magic revealing their powers in response to the light show etc.

Nanase and Grace revealed their powers because they wanted to find Ellen. Others, without reason, wouldn't be that likely to show anything ... although there may be some who would assume the lightshow means secrecy is officially off.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But someday Tedd and Edward really need to discuss what it is to be a seer, Noriko, and gender identity.

I'm sure Edward would like to talk about what it is to be a seer.

Gender identity? Not so much.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

When the server went down for maintenance it was apparently one of the changes made, Dan wasn't aware of it till people pointed it out and he didn't ask for the change either.

... so, is that hosting so cheap or does it have other qualities which balance out the fact they can make changes without Dan being even informed, much less agree to it?

Pretty certain that was mean to mean Grace left work early to help with the search, she would have been at the comic book shop helping Justin run another card tournament,

... oh. Right. after reading this and rereading the comics I realized mr. Verres is STILL on business. Ok. Explains the phones. And, generally, makes more sense.

That sounds like we'll be getting to the Edward and Tedd stuff soon. It's possible that Edward's "business" can't be put on hold (like another group of rampaging deathless army of rage that needed to be exposited into leaving Earth alone) So he probably doesn't know anything has happened yet.

Also sounds I'm not only one who misinterpreted what Ellen said.

But yes, even if Tedd would try to continue keeping it secret (which he has no reason to), Arthur would definitely inform him.

Note that the "business" might be less "can't be put on hold" and more "can't be reached at all". Like, there may be some reason why Edward simply CANT have phone with him, or maybe is out of reach of signal. He may be ON DIFFERENT WORLD.

http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2018-05-25

See? Not too worrie... oh, that is extravagant. Then again, Arthur is an associate to this, so, everything sucks?

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Walk back a couple of strips and we see this (possible) collateral travesty:

I previously described this part, �Elliots And Ellen�, as �final non-epilogue part of this arc�.

Those characters, they boggle.

ID system is broken. This was link supposed to be for Wednesday. http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2502

Someone else was confused by the wording and though Edward left work early to help search, it was pointed out on Reddit and Dan aggreed that it could have been worded better and has done so.

Dan almost never goes back to edit the art or dialogue in his comics.

Yes this makes Ellen's description of the "meanwhile" events easier to understand.

But that can't be the end of it.

There is a reason why Edward Verres was not present during these events.  Even more importantly, there is a reason why Dan wants us to know that Edward Verres was not present during these events.

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Someone else was confused by the wording and though Edward left work early to help search, it was pointed out on Reddit and Dan aggreed that it could have been worded better and has done so.

Not just single someone, there was reply on twitter also suggesting that, and it could've been implied from my reply on tumblr ...

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Almost.

4 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There is a reason why Edward Verres was not present during these events.  Even more importantly, there is a reason why Dan wants us to know that Edward Verres was not present during these events.

If Edward would be present, he would take charge and do something different, probably more effective. That might be reason enough. Still, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if we later find out what the business is ... business which doesn't allow ARTHUR to contact him with THIS important informations ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

And this as well.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But that can't be the end of it.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

If Edward would be present, he would take charge and do something different, probably more effective. That might be reason enough. Still, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if we later find out what the business is ... business which doesn't allow ARTHUR to contact him with THIS important informations ...

Well Dan said there'd be more commented on in regards to Elliot and Ellen's parents, but as for Edward, it's not uncommon for him to be off on business, Dan isn't obligated to state why he was away in this particular instance, so it's most likely that his business was in no way related to what just happened especially considering we saw no hints that anyone would want him distracted.

On 5/25/2018 at 0:53 AM, hkmaly said:

How long would take them to find Ellen in the warehouse? Apparently, even with Edward help, they were not able to use the phones to locate them. I suppose they were not just off but also left home ... or with batteries disconnected, if not both.

It would definitely have been in Sirleck's interest to have them be untrackable until he was finished.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 5/25/2018 at 9:53 AM, hkmaly said:

It would definitely have been in Sirleck's interest to have them be untrackable until he was finished.

Definitely ; question is if he has enough technical knowledge to realize what he needs to do, because Magus definitely doesn't.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In my experience I'd say he does it on average somewhere between a few times a year to every few years. Usually it's just minor wording or coloring/shading correction, and if it wasn't pointed out on the forums or in Dan's commentary one might not even notice. He's actually been doing it a lot more often than usual recently, particularly in Goonmanji 2.