• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things that you find baffling

Recommended Posts

I. Am. Baffled.

Let me get one thing straight. I fully see the need for bot protection for important and sensitive pages, especially bank pages and the like. And I do not object to it.

What I do not get is why you would need bot protection on a page with a bill that you need to pay.

Why?

Is there some sort of problem with rogue bots paying your bills without telling you?

I just don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I. Am. Baffled.

Let me get one thing straight. I fully see the need for bot protection for important and sensitive pages, especially bank pages and the like. And I do not object to it.

What I do not get is why you would need bot protection on a page with a bill that you need to pay.

Why?

Is there some sort of problem with rogue bots paying your bills without telling you?

I just don't get it.

I have friends who've had their Steam, or Origin accounts hacked, and when they regained control, found that the hackers had either leveled up characters in games or bought a bunch of new games and in the case of the latter, used either the hackers own CC or worst case scenario someone else's CC (it was unknown since the friend never saved their CC info and neither did the hacker, so the friends ended up with free stuff.

 

In the case of bot protection, it may be a "better safe than sorry" measure because one can never be sure that someone won't come up with some method of snagging personal info from those pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Scotty said:

In the case of bot protection, it may be a "better safe than sorry" measure because one can never be sure that someone won't come up with some method of snagging personal info from those pages.

That is the most likely possibility. And it wasn't as if it were a huge hassle, it just gave me an embarrassing delay I hadn't expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

In the case of bot protection, it may be a "better safe than sorry" measure because one can never be sure that someone won't come up with some method of snagging personal info from those pages.

Any page that deals with finances, there's a chance of getting credit card info...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could speculate.....if the crackers got ahold of info on credit card numbers and a list of names, but didn't have a way of linking which name had which card, they might have a bot charge $33.12 to your account, $33.13 to the next one, $33.14 to the next, and so on, and then see whose account got which charge.  (Totally off the cuff and posdibly not well explained....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I could speculate.....if the crackers got ahold of info on credit card numbers and a list of names, but didn't have a way of linking which name had which card, they might have a bot charge $33.12 to your account, $33.13 to the next one, $33.14 to the next, and so on, and then see whose account got which charge.  (Totally off the cuff and posdibly not well explained....)

They'd also compare against other lists gathered at other security breaches....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some TV channel is heavily advertising (seems like every 15 minutes) that they are going to be re-showing the first season of Xena, "Lucy Lawless' sword-and-sorcery antihero".

The only way I can see describing Xena as an antihero is if she has a sibling with children who don't spell very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never saw a full episode of either show, but I did hear that Xena was a villain (or at least an adversary) when she first appeared on Hercules. Perhaps that's where the "antihero" label comes from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada has a system for alerting people to things like severe weather and Amber Alerts (missing children, presumed kidnapped).

At about 4pm this afternoon, a storm went through town that had heavy rainfall, high winds  and enough hail to force people to bring out the snow shovels.

It's now 7:55pm and the sun is out, and the sky is clear.

 

Guess when we got the alerts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this