• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things that you find baffling

I. Am. Baffled.

Let me get one thing straight. I fully see the need for bot protection for important and sensitive pages, especially bank pages and the like. And I do not object to it.

What I do not get is why you would need bot protection on a page with a bill that you need to pay.

Why?

Is there some sort of problem with rogue bots paying your bills without telling you?

I just don't get it.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I. Am. Baffled.

Let me get one thing straight. I fully see the need for bot protection for important and sensitive pages, especially bank pages and the like. And I do not object to it.

What I do not get is why you would need bot protection on a page with a bill that you need to pay.

Why?

Is there some sort of problem with rogue bots paying your bills without telling you?

I just don't get it.

I have friends who've had their Steam, or Origin accounts hacked, and when they regained control, found that the hackers had either leveled up characters in games or bought a bunch of new games and in the case of the latter, used either the hackers own CC or worst case scenario someone else's CC (it was unknown since the friend never saved their CC info and neither did the hacker, so the friends ended up with free stuff.

In the case of bot protection, it may be a "better safe than sorry" measure because one can never be sure that someone won't come up with some method of snagging personal info from those pages.

57 minutes ago, Scotty said:

In the case of bot protection, it may be a "better safe than sorry" measure because one can never be sure that someone won't come up with some method of snagging personal info from those pages.

That is the most likely possibility. And it wasn't as if it were a huge hassle, it just gave me an embarrassing delay I hadn't expected.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Any page that deals with finances, there's a chance of getting credit card info...

I could speculate.....if the crackers got ahold of info on credit card numbers and a list of names, but didn't have a way of linking which name had which card, they might have a bot charge $33.12 to your account, $33.13 to the next one, $33.14 to the next, and so on, and then see whose account got which charge.  (Totally off the cuff and posdibly not well explained....)

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I could speculate.....if the crackers got ahold of info on credit card numbers and a list of names, but didn't have a way of linking which name had which card, they might have a bot charge $33.12 to your account, $33.13 to the next one, $33.14 to the next, and so on, and then see whose account got which charge.  (Totally off the cuff and posdibly not well explained....)

They'd also compare against other lists gathered at other security breaches....

Some TV channel is heavily advertising (seems like every 15 minutes) that they are going to be re-showing the first season of Xena, "Lucy Lawless' sword-and-sorcery antihero".

The only way I can see describing Xena as an antihero is if she has a sibling with children who don't spell very well.

I never saw a full episode of either show, but I did hear that Xena was a villain (or at least an adversary) when she first appeared on Hercules. Perhaps that's where the "antihero" label comes from?

Canada has a system for alerting people to things like severe weather and Amber Alerts (missing children, presumed kidnapped).

At about 4pm this afternoon, a storm went through town that had heavy rainfall, high winds  and enough hail to force people to bring out the snow shovels.

It's now 7:55pm and the sun is out, and the sky is clear.

Guess when we got the alerts.

Bricked roads, that is to say roads with a hard surface made of house bricks are not bike and ass friendly.  My current town has a "historic" district that has as near as I can tell the original brick roads from the teens.  The other teens, not the current one.   They look nice and are marginal in a modern car or van.  They suck large rocks if you are on a push bike and I suspect on a motobike as well.

I, of course, live on the northern edge of that district, which automatically limits my random bike riding around to see the town.  As near as I can make out mainly housing, so nothing I need to go to is in it.

I'm baffled why they are still in use.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Bricked roads, that is to say roads with a hard surface made of house bricks

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

The word you're looking for is "quaint".

Or perhaps he lives in the Indianapolis Speedway.

mlooney?  Are the cars in your neighborhood annoyingly loud and driven much too fast?

Are car wrecks the highlight of everybody's day?

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Or perhaps he lives in the Indianapolis Speedway.

mlooney?  Are the cars in your neighborhood annoyingly loud and driven much too fast?

Are car wrecks the highlight of everybody's day?

No on both counts.  But as I understand it "The Brick yard" only has a thin line of bricks now.

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

Bricked roads, that is to say roads with a hard surface made of house bricks are not bike and ass friendly.  My current town has a "historic" district that has as near as I can tell the original brick roads from the teens.  The other teens, not the current one.   They look nice and are marginal in a modern car or van.  They suck large rocks if you are on a push bike and I suspect on a motobike as well.

I, of course, live on the northern edge of that district, which automatically limits my random bike riding around to see the town.  As near as I can make out mainly housing, so nothing I need to go to is in it.

There is a road just like that close to where I live. I am willing to take a long detour to NOT ride along it on my bicycle. And like you, I have no idea why it is still there.

9 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

There is a road just like that close to where I live. I am willing to take a long detour to NOT ride along it on my bicycle. And like you, I have no idea why it is still there.

About 25 years ago, the town redid some infrastructure down one of the older streets in town, the sewer/water lines were like 70+years old at the time and were at capacity, turned out that at the time the existing utilities were put in, the street was made up of logs also known as a "corduroy road", I was just a kid at the time..well about 13-14 years old and watched them pull them out of the ground and remember thinking about how they were in pretty good condition for being in the ground for so long.

I can only imagine what it would be like to bike on something like that though.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:45 PM, mlooney said:

My current town has a "historic" district that has as near as I can tell the original brick roads from the teens.  The other teens, not the current one.

[...]

I would imagine the fact that it's a historic district is why they're still in use. Someone presumably decided it wasn't enough just to keep the historic buildings around, they should keep the historic roads too.

I've been to a part of Boston with brick roads; it may not be comfortable to ride on, but it certainly looks cool.

The street I grew up on, a few blocks north, turned into a boulevard, with park-like islands between the northbound and southbound halves of the street.  That section also had brick instead of pavement.  The people who live there apparently are opposed to changing that.