• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Things that you find baffling

I. Am. Baffled.

Let me get one thing straight. I fully see the need for bot protection for important and sensitive pages, especially bank pages and the like. And I do not object to it.

What I do not get is why you would need bot protection on a page with a bill that you need to pay.

Why?

Is there some sort of problem with rogue bots paying your bills without telling you?

I just don't get it.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I. Am. Baffled.

Let me get one thing straight. I fully see the need for bot protection for important and sensitive pages, especially bank pages and the like. And I do not object to it.

What I do not get is why you would need bot protection on a page with a bill that you need to pay.

Why?

Is there some sort of problem with rogue bots paying your bills without telling you?

I just don't get it.

I have friends who've had their Steam, or Origin accounts hacked, and when they regained control, found that the hackers had either leveled up characters in games or bought a bunch of new games and in the case of the latter, used either the hackers own CC or worst case scenario someone else's CC (it was unknown since the friend never saved their CC info and neither did the hacker, so the friends ended up with free stuff.

In the case of bot protection, it may be a "better safe than sorry" measure because one can never be sure that someone won't come up with some method of snagging personal info from those pages.

57 minutes ago, Scotty said:

In the case of bot protection, it may be a "better safe than sorry" measure because one can never be sure that someone won't come up with some method of snagging personal info from those pages.

That is the most likely possibility. And it wasn't as if it were a huge hassle, it just gave me an embarrassing delay I hadn't expected.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Any page that deals with finances, there's a chance of getting credit card info...

I could speculate.....if the crackers got ahold of info on credit card numbers and a list of names, but didn't have a way of linking which name had which card, they might have a bot charge $33.12 to your account, $33.13 to the next one, $33.14 to the next, and so on, and then see whose account got which charge.  (Totally off the cuff and posdibly not well explained....)

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I could speculate.....if the crackers got ahold of info on credit card numbers and a list of names, but didn't have a way of linking which name had which card, they might have a bot charge $33.12 to your account, $33.13 to the next one, $33.14 to the next, and so on, and then see whose account got which charge.  (Totally off the cuff and posdibly not well explained....)

They'd also compare against other lists gathered at other security breaches....