• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Megalodon: "Everybody sees a scale and thinks 'dragon'. ALWAYS the dragons."

Basilisk: "Mmhm."

T. rex: "Hear hear."

Dragons are awesome. Little things like them not existing won't get in the way of that.

Besides, maybe dragons existed once upon a time, but one of the magic resets caused them to go extinct.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

Ellen and Ashley are clearly going to be the best sister-in-laws ever seen in fiction.

This is a true saying, worthy to be received by all mankind.

33 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Dragons are awesome. Little things like them not existing won't get in the way of that.

Besides, maybe dragons existed once upon a time, but one of the magic resets caused them to go extinct.

Or leave, they may have migrated to the other half of the world where the people didn't hunt them down.

Arthur's sure that no one has seen a true Dragon before, or at least in a very long time, but Ellen, Elliot and Ashley met Griffins who were also supposedly mythical creatures so it'd be pretty easy for them to believe that real Dragons existed.

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

Megalodon: "Everybody sees a scale and thinks 'dragon'. ALWAYS the dragons."

Basilisk: "Mmhm."

T. rex: "Hear hear."

My understanding is that the Chinese words for "dragon" and "dinosaur" are the same, due to large dinosaur bones having always been called dragon bones there. 

Then there's Komodo Dragons...

So really, there's precedent for using the term "dragon" to refer to any large reptile, regardless of if it can breath fire or has any known magical powers.

46 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Either Pandora can travel between worlds, or there were dragons (or something that looks like a dragon and can shoot fire) back in Blaike's day.

25 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

My understanding is that the Chinese words for "dragon" and "dinosaur" are the same, due to large dinosaur bones having always been called dragon bones there. 

<Snip>

Either Pandora can travel between worlds, or there were dragons (or something that looks like a dragon and can shoot fire) back in Blaike's day.

Just because something seems to exist around an immortal doesn't necessarily mean it is "real". Arthur has already mentioned one way (summons) that an immortal could empower a human to temporarily produce something that doesn't really exist in our world. That doesn't rule out the alternate world idea, of course.

48 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Ah... Dan said in his commentary:

- I guess it's POSSIBLE some of these panels from Pandora's past shouldn't be taken literally...?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Or leave, they may have migrated to the other half of the world where the people didn't hunt them down.

Now I have a horribly sad and ironic mental image of them migrating to Magusellen's world so they could find a place where they would be left in peace. >.<

"No true dragon has ever been..."

Arthur, do you want to discuss this with St George?  The Welsh Flag designer also might have an opinion on this matter.

And even though it was with extreme difficulty, Magus managed to move from a reality where Dragons are real to the "normal" world of EGS.
Is there no chance that anyone else ever made that leap?

On the other hand, remember Susan's attempt to describe what happened to her in France.  Even though the Aberration she encountered was not exactly like any of the classic literary or cinematic Vampires, it was similar.  Similar enough that she realized her audience would call it a vampire regardless of the other details.  Arthur, you have described a large magical animal with scales.  Telling the meddling kids now that this is NOT some kind of dragon will be an uphill battle.  Especially if you don't have another name that you definitely can give the beast.

Is there any chance this scale was originally found in the Great Glen?  They might stop calling it a "Dragon Scale" if you can convince them it came from the Loch Ness Monster.  I'm sure that would be so much more believable.

36 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Oh, I missed that. (I usually skip over reading the links section of the commentary, as I assume I remember the comic well enough I don't need a recap.)

I prefer EGS with dragons in it's past, though, so I'm going to continue having that as my headcanon until and unless it is conclusively proven the main world never had dragons (or at least there's an in-comic explanation for that flashback).

Of course, that doesn't mean the scale is from a dragon (although if you go with the "any big reptile" definition it probably is, as the only other likely option would be a big fish).

11 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Of course, that doesn't mean the scale is from a dragon (although if you go with the "any big reptile" definition it probably is, as the only other likely option would be a big fish).

Is this where we get into the "Birds Are Dinosaurs" part of the discussion?
Birds have scales.  Usually on the feet, but they are there.
So all we need is an extremely large and magical bird...

I've read that in terms of the genetics of getting a creature to grow them, scales and feathers and hair are extremely similar...

Meanwhile, Ellen and Ashley are going for the gold medal in conclusion-jumping. They apparently are approximately correct - but Arthur may not know that, and THEY don't have sufficient evidence to justify their conclusion at the level of confidence they are expressing.

2 hours ago, Alwaysnewguy said:

Does anyone else think that Dan read or anticipated the conclusion jumping from the Wednesday comic discussion and wrote this to snark about it?

Of course he did that.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Arthur's sure that no one has seen a true Dragon before, or at least in a very long time, but Ellen, Elliot and Ashley met Griffins who were also supposedly mythical creatures so it'd be pretty easy for them to believe that real Dragons existed.

Given how much information is missing from official channels, I would not be surprised if Arthur doesn't know about the other half of the universe. (Or at least that it's technically part of their universe and not a separate universe altogether)

14 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
2 hours ago, Alwaysnewguy said:

Does anyone else think that Dan read or anticipated the conclusion jumping from the Wednesday comic discussion and wrote this to snark about it?

It's possible, but it could also be a callback to another conclusion jumping event. ^_^

Ellen is a true Olympian when it comes to conclusion jumping.

I thought Arthur would know better.  He forgot an important rule of show business (and concealing magic is how business)

"Nver work with teenagers or dragons"  (worse, teenage dragons)

Just now, ChronosCat said:

I prefer EGS with dragons in it's past, though, so I'm going to continue having that as my headcanon until and unless it is conclusively proven the main world never had dragons (or at least there's an in-comic explanation for that flashback).

I'd actually like it if Dan had planned on setting it up that there was more travel between the two halves of the world in the past, Dragons and other mythical creatures didn't have to exist on one half, but stories about them were passed along by travelers visiting from the other half.

Somebody should mention Magus's comments about dragon sirens to Arthur. If nothing else, Pandora and Raven haven't gotten the magic bottleneck cleared up yet, but I suspect that the changes to magic will result in an increase to ambient magic. Part of that may simply be that there is little I wouldn't do for a world like this one and the spells I could get.

There ARE things I wouldn't do. Spend 90% of my waking hours doing nothing but try to learn magic? Already doing that, and failing so far, but who knows when magic might become available for me? Gotta keep trying.

Seriously, there's a part of me that feels the power of creation standing just out of reach and I can't stop yearning for it. I don't even want to stop, as it is too big a part of me, I just try to do the things I have to do to survive around this higher priority.

Dan might not, but I was already saying Bulldog Dragon is not true dragon. Thanks for confirmation, Arthur.

13 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

WE HEREBY DECLARE THE CONCLUSION JUMPING OLYMPICS OF 2018 OPENED.

... I though it already opened last comics ...

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Or somewhere else ... like Magus world?

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

... Arthur SHOULD be aware that griffins exists. He got the security camera footage from the Mall and everything.

And yes: Just on PREVIOUS page he was saying something about "hardly claim to be experts" ... didn't last him long.

I'm sure Dan is just joking with that "I guess it's POSSIBLE ..."

9 hours ago, Haylo said:

Just because something seems to exist around an immortal doesn't necessarily mean it is "real". Arthur has already mentioned one way (summons) that an immortal could empower a human to temporarily produce something that doesn't really exist in our world. That doesn't rule out the alternate world idea, of course.

While technically possible, summons don't leave scales behind.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Meanwhile, Ellen and Ashley are going for the gold medal in conclusion-jumping. They apparently are approximately correct - but Arthur may not know that, and THEY don't have sufficient evidence to justify their conclusion at the level of confidence they are expressing.

They have the advantage of their lives being comics. Chekhov's gun and everything.

Also, as already pointed out, they ARE aware of Griffins AND of dragons on Magus's world, so ...

5 hours ago, mlooney said:
7 hours ago, Alwaysnewguy said:

Of course he did that.

Considering anticipating that would be almost as difficult as anticipating Sun will raise next morning ...

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It's possible, but it could also be a callback to another conclusion jumping event. ^_^

Most likely both. Although good point that Ellen was the contestant last time too ...

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I'd actually like it if Dan had planned on setting it up that there was more travel between the two halves of the world in the past, Dragons and other mythical creatures didn't have to exist on one half, but stories about them were passed along by travelers visiting from the other half.

More travel can just as easily mean that dragons, even if not native on this half of world, could appear there because visiting.

Still not sure why Ellen assumes green dragons. But unless Arthur will change mind and describe the scale better to them, she's not going to change mind about that :)

13 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

WE HEREBY DECLARE THE CONCLUSION JUMPING OLYMPICS OF 2018 OPENED.

ALAS, MY FAVORITE SPORT! Right after running up the score, anyway.

7 hours ago, Alwaysnewguy said:

Snark, snark, Dan still lurks.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Still not sure why Ellen assumes green dragons.

Maybe because her hair turned green? *scratches head* Only reason which I can see, though it may also simply be more conclusion jumping.

THAT would be ok, but the way she phrased it was like the hair being green would obviously result from - ... wait. It could also be interpreted as "dragons, therefore my hair changed color". But it still sounds like "dragons, therefore my hair are specifically green".