• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

What's the Moperville South Team Name and Mascot?

The real Naperville South High teams are the Redhawks, but looking at the logo, not too hard to swap it for a Raven on a big M. Think it would be appropriate?

I also thought of the Owls since they are a trope of EGS since forever and, of course, all those potential Hooters jokes.

Feel free to make your suggestions here. Can't promise any cookies.

As for colors, oh, silver-and-black?

Sad to say, but almost every academic/athletic conference in the US has at least one school or team mascot that is an insulting stereotype.

Down in Oregon, one high-school league enacted a rule against team mascots depicting native Americans, on the basis that they are insulting.

Apparently the representative of one school in the league missed that meeting, because his response later was "Excuse us? Us using a representation of our own ancestors as our mascot is insulting? To whom?"

The league swiftly amended the rule to say that the tribal leaders on the local Indian reservation could authorize exceptions - and both teams affected by the rule were immediately granted exemptions. One was run by the tribe...

(My reaction to the issue? Teams pick mascots representing something that, within the context of competitive sports, is seen as desirable; it's a compliment, not an insult. And if picking a mascot, team name, or slogan that identifies people is seen as insulting, singling out Native Americans as needing special protection as if they are peculiarly fragile should be REALLY insulting! Bog on that: rather than require one or two NFL teams to change their names to something obviously non-Native-American, let's require 17+ of them to change to something obviously non-human. Oh, also, good luck telling the people of Houston that calling their football team Texans is insulting...)

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

(My reaction to the issue? Teams pick mascots representing something that, within the context of competitive sports, is seen as desirable; it's a compliment, not an insult. And if picking a mascot, team name, or slogan that identifies people is seen as insulting, singling out Native Americans as needing special protection as if they are peculiarly fragile should be REALLY insulting! Bog on that: rather than require one or two NFL teams to change their names to something obviously non-Native-American, let's require 17+ of them to change to something obviously non-human. Oh, also, good luck telling the people of Houston that calling their football team Texans is insulting...)

It's really simple. Picking an animal is usually fine (except maybe for the ones that kinda look like nightmare fuel, and I don't quite see a team calling itself "The Sea Cucumbers.") Picking anything related to human culture should probably be limited to either your own culture or a culture you are directly descended from or connected to. It is when you go grabbing something just because you think it looks either cool, cute or funny that you get into trouble. Somehow I don't see my father's side of the family thinking that a team calling itself "The Auschwitz Jews" using an emaciated little man with a huge nose in a black-and-white striped prisoner's outfit as a mascot would be particularly charming.

Exceptions may apply. If there is general consent from people of the culture in question that using an icon of theirs is okay, again no problem.

Also I acknowledge that not all people might see sea cucumbers as horrible-looking, but they sort of creep me out.

23 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Ah, but the trouble is that there's usually at least one group who don't mind, and at least one group that do, within any such culture.

In my opinion, at least 2/3 of the objections to this sort of stuff is group A deciding that group B ought to be offended by it, and therefore it shouldn't be allowed - without consulting group B.

Sometimes, I suspect this comes about because group A doesn't like group C and therefore looks for something group C does that group A can arrange to take offense at - and something totally irrelevant to why group A doesn't like them is perfectly acceptable.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Ah, but the trouble is that there's usually at least one group who don't mind, and at least one group that do, within any such culture.

Then there isn't general consent, and you don't do it. No problem.

39 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

In my opinion, at least 2/3 of the objections to this sort of stuff is group A deciding that group B ought to be offended by it, and therefore it shouldn't be allowed - without consulting group B.

Then those objections should be ignored. In fact, all objections not from group B should be ignored.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Then there isn't general consent, and you don't do it. No problem.

Then those objections should be ignored. In fact, all objections not from group B should be ignored.

What about someone from the group who has the mascot saying, "Um, hey guys?  This might be offensive, don't you think we should ask the group we're using whether they mind?  And more than just one person or subset, please...."

2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

What about someone from the group who has the mascot saying, "Um, hey guys?  This might be offensive, don't you think we should ask the group we're using whether they mind?  And more than just one person or subset, please...."

That isn't an objection. It is a reasonable request for an investigation. There is an important difference. :demonicduck:

On 6/14/2018 at 7:22 AM, CritterKeeper said:

On 6/14/2018 at 7:26 AM, The Old Hack said:

That isn't an objection. It is a reasonable request for an investigation. There is an important difference. :demonicduck:

You wouldn't know it from many of the attacks on anyone who objects to a "treasured tradition."  I grew up in Chief Illini territory, I know of what I speak.

20 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

You wouldn't know it from many of the attacks on anyone who objects to a "treasured tradition."  I grew up in Chief Illini territory, I know of what I speak.

*sigh* I am all too aware. But unfortunately I was not describing reality, merely positing what I felt would be a good method.

On 6/13/2018 at 9:57 PM, Don Edwards said:

I do more or less agree with this - however sometimes while who/what the mascot is was chosen out of respect, the mascot design itself is offensive. Oddly enough I've never heard the suggestion that they just change the design without changing who/what it represents...

On 6/13/2018 at 11:17 PM, The Old Hack said:

Also I acknowledge that not all people might see sea cucumbers as horrible-looking, but they sort of creep me out.

Personally, I find them rather boring looking.