• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Story Wednesday Jun 13 2018

... not even dark windows. I mean, sure, Elliot and Ellen are probably not good at remembering way they were drived during night, but I still expected more precautions just to be sure ...

And yes. Ashley will finally start asking. Or at least accept that she needs to know things. It would probably not help her in today's "date" any differently than looking less stupid when talking to Magus but still. As George noted once, not knowing won't protect you - and that's especially true when you date someone with this many secret.

... also, with Kevin teaching her magic under Tedd's supervision, there's not exactly a lot she won't find out anyway. She might already know more about Griffins than Arthur ...

... still, Elliot, maybe you shouldn't make promises like this while DGB's driver is listening.

BTW, ammunition for all our discussions about Edward's relationship with Tedd.

So the driver's name is Bernard. First or last name? Who knows. But if he needs a first name, I suggest "Julius" because Dan has given him has the face of another famous Julius:

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

So the driver's name is Bernard. First or last name? Who knows.

Well ... we also have Arthur ... we can't rule out his name is Bernard Bernard.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I would not be startled to learn that his full name is Bernard B. Bernard. With his middle name possibly being Bernard.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I would not be startled to learn that his full name is Bernard B. Bernard. With his middle name possibly being Bernard.

Begs the question of who'd name their kid that.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... not even dark windows. I mean, sure, Elliot and Ellen are probably not good at remembering way they were drived during night, but I still expected more precautions just to be sure ...

I'm wondering if the vehicle behind them has the headlights bright enough to make it difficult to see details well, or maybe it's projecting images all over to make the surroundings look different. There might be other things that DGB could have done to lessen the chance of someone finding the place, like no signs, a lot of turns, maybe a lot of intersections  where one could easily get lost if they make a wrong turn. Of course, the entire route would be monitored and if someone did get lost then a convenient stranger will show up and guide them back out the way the came.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... still, Elliot, maybe you shouldn't make promises like this while DGB's driver is listening.

I think Arthur would insist on Ashley being filled in considering he asked that she allow Kevin to teach her how to be a wizard.

You know how I say "It's a new person" every time?  Today's strip is an example of why.  There was no narrative reason why the driver needed to be a new person, vs being Agent Wolf, for example.  But The Dan gave us Bernard.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

You know how I say "It's a new person" every time?  Today's strip is an example of why.  There was no narrative reason why the driver needed to be a new person, vs being Agent Wolf, for example.  But The Dan gave us Bernard.

To be honest, we shouldn't expect the DBG to be made of of 10 agents (Edward, Arthur, Wolf, Cranium, those two CSIs that further investigated the forest after Pandora's appearance. Sybil, the two guards that were keeping an eye on Abraham, the guard for the PTTAblahblahblah and Lavender if she can be considered an agent) introducing more people, even if it's just for one page, still gives the impression of a larger organization.

Also Dan seems to enjoy giving us characters that have a detailed backstory but only appear once or twice in comic, I mean, are we ever going to see a story arc devoted to Good Tom saving puppies?

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also Dan seems to enjoy giving us characters that have a detailed backstory but only appear once or twice in comic, I mean, are we ever going to see a story arc devoted to Good Tom saving puppies?

I don't care about all these people. I want Phill to return. *cries*

5 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I just noticed that Ashley has undone her ponytail. I wonder if it is her symbolically letting her hair down or if there might be another reason for it?

I think it's just showing that this experience has been exhausting for her and she's trying to relax and contemplate.

26 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I just noticed that Ashley has undone her ponytail. I wonder if it is her symbolically letting her hair down or if there might be another reason for it?

Society does not accept ponies dating dragons.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Do not underestimate the crappiness of parents inflicting names on their children. Nicholas Cage seriously named his son Kal-El.

I knew a guy in college whose mother was much older. Her name was "Moore" and she named him "Juan".

Penn Gillette named his daughter "Moxie Crimefighter".

Anyone remember Moon Unit Zappa? And her brother Dweezil?

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm wondering if the vehicle behind them has the headlights bright enough to make it difficult to see details well, or maybe it's projecting images all over to make the surroundings look different. There might be other things that DGB could have done to lessen the chance of someone finding the place, like no signs, a lot of turns, maybe a lot of intersections  where one could easily get lost if they make a wrong turn. Of course, the entire route would be monitored and if someone did get lost then a convenient stranger will show up and guide them back out the way the came.

Or, maybe the windows are actually screens.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think Arthur would insist on Ashley being filled in considering he asked that she allow Kevin to teach her how to be a wizard.

I think Arthur would make you a surprisingly long list of stuff Elliot knows which Ashley shouldn't, starting with existence of space aliens.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

To be honest, we shouldn't expect the DBG to be made of of 10 agents (Edward, Arthur, Wolf, Cranium, those two CSIs that further investigated the forest after Pandora's appearance. Sybil, the two guards that were keeping an eye on Abraham, the guard for the PTTAblahblahblah and Lavender if she can be considered an agent) introducing more people, even if it's just for one page, still gives the impression of a larger organization.

I would really like to know if DGB have few dozens of people, few hundreds or few thousands.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

So what? She's dating Elliot, not Ellen.

Also, are you sure about that?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I think Arthur would make you a surprisingly long list of stuff Elliot knows which Ashley shouldn't, starting with existence of space aliens.

She's going to be meeting Grace soon. And don't forget an alien construct probably would have killed her next if Ellen didn't wake up in time.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I would really like to know if DGB have few dozens of people, few hundreds or few thousands.

Considering it's a branch of the FBI, probably close to if not more than a thousand, they probably don't all have to be wizards or magic users in general, some may be there because of connections with Uryuoms or something.

Now for the Moperville branch alone is probably a handful of agents, but that doesn't mean they don't call in agents from Chicago or elsewhere if shorthanded for something, I don't see Commander Jaguar's team being stationed in Moperville. And on that note, I wonder what Canada's Paranormal Division would be like, I kinda expect it to be a branch of the RCMP so I Imagine a collab between them and the FBI would be akin to an episode of "Due South" which, incidentally, is set in Chicago.

I suspect that the majority of MIB employees are involved more in logistics and bureaucracy rather than in field work. And not all of the ones doing field work necessarily have magic - I didn't see much evidence of magic-users in Commander Jaguar's cleanup team.

Moperville is part of metro Chicago. As far as I can immediately recall, there are four known (to us) magic-users and one uryuom* in MIB-Chicago, and no explicit references to there being more than that. That isn't a lot for a metropolitan area that size, let alone one containing a weirdness-magnet city like Moperville.

So I strongly suspect that the system is designed in part to keep the field wizards' involvement in paperwork to a minimum. Their own reports on their activities, and their payroll and expense-reimbursement forms, of course, but as little else as can be managed.

* Four: Verres, Wolf, Cranium, and Arthur. One: Lavender.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I knew a guy in college whose mother was much older. Her name was "Moore" and she named him "Juan".

Penn Gillette named his daughter "Moxie Crimefighter".

Anyone remember Moon Unit Zappa? And her brother Dweezil?

I have a client with the last name Walker.  They named their son Luke, because they figured by the time he was in school, no one would remember that silly sci-fi movie from years before!

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Like this?

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Moperville is part of metro Chicago. As far as I can immediately recall, there are four known (to us) magic-users and one uryuom* in MIB-Chicago, and no explicit references to there being more than that. That isn't a lot for a metropolitan area that size, let alone one containing a weirdness-magnet city like Moperville.

So I strongly suspect that the system is designed in part to keep the field wizards' involvement in paperwork to a minimum. Their own reports on their activities, and their payroll and expense-reimbursement forms, of course, but as little else as can be managed.

* Four: Verres, Wolf, Cranium, and Arthur. One: Lavender.

We do know from the commentary that Bernard B. Bernard is also a magic-user, but apart from that I agree with you.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I have a client with the last name Walker.  They named their son Luke, because they figured by the time he was in school, no one would remember that silly sci-fi movie from years before!

Yes, you mentioned that. Unfortunate, but not quite at the level where I start to suspect active malice on part of the parents. Why do some people have to inflict names on their children that practically guarantee that they will be harassed and persecuted for them once they enter school?

15 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

So what? She's dating Elliot, not Ellen.

Also, are you sure about that?

Even limited exposure to the Diamond has pushed Ashley into Team Dragon.  So no more Pony affectations for her.

And just because an eight year old was in favor of the unicorn/dragon pairing does not mean that the mainstream media will accept it.  She does not have enough cookies to bribe everyone.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She's going to be meeting Grace soon. And don't forget an alien construct probably would have killed her next if Ellen didn't wake up in time.

Neither requires her to know about the space part.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Now for the Moperville branch alone is probably a handful of agents, but that doesn't mean they don't call in agents from Chicago or elsewhere if shorthanded for something, I don't see Commander Jaguar's team being stationed in Moperville.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Yes - another question would be what branch we are actually seeing. Because despite being located in Moperville, I would expect it's actually Chicago branch, if not Illinois.

I suspect that the majority of MIB employees are involved more in logistics and bureaucracy rather than in field work. And not all of the ones doing field work necessarily have magic - I didn't see much evidence of magic-users in Commander Jaguar's cleanup team.

True - the total number of DGB employees is almost surely considerably bigger than number of employed magic users, not speaking about wizards like Agent Wolf and Edward Verres.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Like this?

Not nearly as much inventive - the shown content would be as boring as expected if not more, just not matching the ACTUAL surroundings. It would also still require to make turns at same time as the real car will, to not become obvious.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Why do some people have to inflict names on their children that practically guarantee that they will be harassed and persecuted for them once they enter school?

It MIGHT be related to the fact that some children will be harassed and persecuted in school no matter what name they will have. I don't expect it being deliberately designed to encourage that in most cases, though.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Even limited exposure to the Diamond has pushed Ashley into Team Dragon.  So no more Pony affectations for her.

So, it's not about who she's dating, she's expected to stop wearing ponytails because she absorbed dragon power?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And just because an eight year old was in favor of the unicorn/dragon pairing does not mean that the mainstream media will accept it.  She does not have enough cookies to bribe everyone.

I'm pretty sure those shows for eight year olds are very mainstream and all about people accepting whatever.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It MIGHT be related to the fact that some children will be harassed and persecuted in school no matter what name they will have

I know. But trust me on this one. Having a name that paints a target on your back does not improve things.

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Bwahahahaha!

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yes, you mentioned that. Unfortunate, but not quite at the level where I start to suspect active malice on part of the parents. Why do some people have to inflict names on their children that practically guarantee that they will be harassed and persecuted for them once they enter school?

Well, I knew a Luke in my high school, but the obvious Star Wars joke was done once, and then we continued with our lives.