• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Wed June 13th 2018

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Here is

And so starts a series of inside jokes about a game system that makes me twitch and not in the good way.

And for some extra twitch, there was an entire playthrough a couple years back of the original game done on Twitch.tv by way of chat members typing out the commands to move the player, access inventory, talk to people and battle. It was a real clustertruck and somehow they managed to beat the game this way.

No-eared characters. Those were the fuuun times.

Two sets of assets are fine enough to handle. Make Tedd an NPC just for show.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And for some extra twitch

DId somebody say "the witch"? :demonicduck: 

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Here is

And so starts a series of inside jokes about a game system that makes me twitch and not in the good way.

And for some extra twitch, there was an entire playthrough a couple years back of the original game done on Twitch.tv by way of chat members typing out the commands to move the player, access inventory, talk to people and battle. It was a real clustertruck and somehow they managed to beat the game this way.

Not just single one, although the first was most popular. I helped for a while somewhere in the middle.

20 minutes ago, Stature said:

Two sets of assets are fine enough to handle. Make Tedd an NPC just for show.

To make it more funny, both set of assets are almost identical, not like Kris and Ethan.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Here is

I have enjoyed a number of comics that center around activities I am not personally engaged in, such as paintball, or experiences I do not share.  For some reason, I do tend to find video game digressions more annoying than most.  In this case, I think it's just that I'd much rather spend time with the actual characters.  However, if this sort of thing is enjoyable for Dan and helps him recharge, then I am not going to say he shouldn't do it!  I'll just have to read along and hope I find some charm or interest in them.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I have enjoyed a number of comics that center around activities I am not personally engaged in, such as paintball, or experiences I do not share.

Interesting that noone uses stuff like dragon slaying as examples of "activities I am not personally engaged in" and/or "experiences I do not share". On the other hand, I wouldn't expect to enjoy reading cross-cultural m/m romance, and yet I do, because it has interesting world-building and take on magic ... (also, after being able to ignore the Hercules in foreground, which was necessary to enjoy Andromeda, I'm sure I survive the m/m romance parts in comics ...).

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

For some reason, I do tend to find video game digressions more annoying than most.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed several stories about games I don't play, and even decided to play one game after multiple comics referenced it. (True, I didn't actually FINISHED it, but I got pretty close to end. At least from story perspective, not sure how many battles remains.)

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I have enjoyed a number of comics that center around activities I am not personally engaged in, such as paintball, or experiences I do not share.  For some reason, I do tend to find video game digressions more annoying than most.  In this case, I think it's just that I'd much rather spend time with the actual characters.  However, if this sort of thing is enjoyable for Dan and helps him recharge, then I am not going to say he shouldn't do it!  I'll just have to read along and hope I find some charm or interest in them.

Actually, the video game version of pokemon is not really my problem, it's the CCG version.  The Damn Yellow Mouse damn near killed table top gaming back in the day.  Of course TTG has recovered, so I should not be so cranky, but DYM still holds a special place in my large pile of grudges.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Actually, the video game version of pokemon is not really my problem, it's the CCG version.  The Damn Yellow Mouse damn near killed table top gaming back in the day.  Of course TTG has recovered, so I should not be so cranky, but DYM still holds a special place in my large pile of grudges.

Speaking about it, how could that stupid yellow mouse became icon of Pokemon? It's barely more interesting than actual rat or pigeon.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Speaking about it, how could that stupid yellow mouse became icon of Pokemon? It's barely more interesting than actual rat or pigeon.

It's the signature Pokemon of the main character of the anime, which was, and probably still is, the main media vehicle for promoting the franchise.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's the signature Pokemon of the main character of the anime, which was, and probably still is, the main media vehicle for promoting the franchise.

You mean that main character who catches pokemons worse that mentioned twitch playing the game?

23 hours ago, mlooney said:

I feel the same way about Magic -- I went to GenCon every year, and all of a sudden the Dealers' Hall was full of these stupid cards instead of RPGs!  Before you know it the company was buying TSR itself!  Funny, I barely remember seeing any Pokemon, it was all MTG, followed by various knock-offs of every kind.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I feel the same way about Magic -- I went to GenCon every year, and all of a sudden the Dealers' Hall was full of these stupid cards instead of RPGs!  Before you know it the company was buying TSR itself!  Funny, I barely remember seeing any Pokemon, it was all MTG, followed by various knock-offs of every kind.

The Pokemon card  game *was* one of those knockoffs...

I suppose it's only karma.  Avalon Hill was the big name in tabletop wargaming.  Bought by TSR, the big name of tabletop RPGs, bought by Wizards of the Coast, the big name in CCGs, bought by Hasbro. 

A conga line of "summon bigger fish" spells...

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

Avalon Hill was the big name in tabletop wargaming.  Bought by TSR, the big name of tabletop RPGs, bought by Wizards of the Coast, the big name in CCGs, bought by Hasbro. 

And Wizards of the Coast are the only cool name in that line. Gary Gygax apparently spend all his inventiveness on D&D and didn't had any left for company name.

Also ... TSR got known due to D&D. Wizards of the Coast - MTG. Habro ... Mr. Potato Head.

3 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Wizards of the Coast - MTG.

No love for RoboRalley?  :)

Ask Adkison, he rejected that idea.

So, this is a comic depicting a fictional video game, a video game that has it's own internal story. Dan presumably had Bubbles as Professor George's grandson because it's funny (although knowing Dan it's also possible he'll explore some gender-identity issues too). The "game" was likely programmed to have George call Bubbles that due to an overly rigid script and/or the programmers failing to account for all the possible choices the player could make. But, within the world represented by the game (and ignoring that it's probably not "supposed" to be that way), why does George's "grandson" look like a girl? Is she a trangender boy? A transgender girl who has transitioned? Or is the situation something more elaborate and unusual?

Just now, ChronosCat said:

So, this is a comic depicting a fictional video game, a video game that has it's own internal story. Dan presumably had Bubbles as Professor George's grandson because it's funny (although knowing Dan it's also possible he'll explore some gender-identity issues too). The "game" was likely programmed to have George call Bubbles that due to an overly rigid script and/or the programmers failing to account for all the possible choices the player could make. But, within the world represented by the game (and ignoring that it's probably not "supposed" to be that way), why does George's "grandson" look like a girl? Is she a trangender boy? A transgender girl who has transitioned? Or is the situation something more elaborate and unusual?

Dan's strictly going for absurdity in this case, since in the games this is parodying has the rival trainer as the professor's grandson. The fact that George is calling Nanase his grandson should also be absurd for the fact that George is only 2-3 years older than Nanase in canon anyway.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Dan's strictly going for absurdity in this case, since in the games this is parodying has the rival trainer as the professor's grandson. The fact that George is calling Nanase his grandson should also be absurd for the fact that George is only 2-3 years older than Nanase in canon anyway.

Also, allowing someone else to name almost-adult person is so absurd the rest of dialogue shouldn't need to make sense.

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Or is the situation something more elaborate and unusual?

You forget the possibility it's some sort of inside joke between those two.

It might happened by him complaining that all his grandchildren are girls, then she decided to become pokemon trainer instead of say, pokemon coordinator and him commenting that despite her gender she's like the grandson he always wanted.

In short, not every tomboy has gender or sexuality issues, despite what proponents of traditional gender roles try to suggest.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Also, allowing someone else to name almost-adult person is so absurd the rest of dialogue shouldn't need to make sense.

Remember Tedd's (short*) history of naming characters?

*I say short because we only have the one example, but I suspect there were other instances.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:
5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Remember Tedd's (short*) history of naming characters?

*I say short because we only have the one example, but I suspect there were other instances.

Yes, pokemon is not nearly only game with this absurdity. However, some games at least admit that allowing you to name others is meta and doesn't reflect any renaming actually being done in game's world.

Also, I suspect Tedd's "short" history of naming characters is as long as his interest in video games. Like, sure, he probably stopped using this sort of names when meeting Grace, but he also probably barely has any time for playing now ... like, he's either playing something multiplayer WITH Grace or he's showing her something just so she can play it, he's unlikely to spend time playing singleplayer.

21 hours ago, Scotty said:

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, but sometimes it's fun to ignore the MST3K mantra and try to figure out answers to questions the original creator(s) never intended to answer.

In my Grace-a-Monsters head-canon, Monster Professor George is a lot older than he looks (and canon George), and really is old enough to be grandfather to a teenager. And I figure that in the in-game story, George's "grandson" has always had the name the player gives them; Bubbles complaining about it is just a breaking of one level of fourth-wall. (Mind you, an explanation that didn't require fourth-wall breaking would be even more fun.)

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

You forget the possibility it's some sort of inside joke between those two.

A simple option that doesn't require this lighthearted parody to delve into deep gender issues. I like it.