• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Planetary Beverage Container 2018

The time has come once again for the nations of this Earth to pause their petty wars and get on with some truly viscous conflicts.

FUTBOL!

Predictions?

Comments?

Suggestions?

Here's an example question:
Just because the US Men's National Team can't beat their neighbors from Central America and the Caribbean, is that any reason to keep them out of the big tournament?

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

No, seriously, I don't know who's playing.

How to Catch World Cup Fever (Freakonomics Radio)  (57 min) 

"If you are in a bar at 7:00 in the morning with a Budweiser, society frowns on that....But if you're in that same bar, with that same Budweiser, and on the television, Spain are playing Portugal  in in the opening group game of the World cup, what are you?"  "You'e a futball fan."

6 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

How to Catch World Cup Fever (Freakonomics Radio)  (57 min) 

"If you are in a bar at 7:00 in the morning with a Budweiser, society frowns on that....But if you're in that same bar, with that same Budweiser, and on the television, Spain are playing Portugal  in in the opening group game of the World cup, what are you?"  "You'e a futball fan."

Normally it's against regulations in Ontario to serve alcohol before 11am, but there've been specific exceptions set aside to allow bars to start serving by 9am. The 2014 and 2018 winter Olympics also had bars allowed to serve earlier than usual.

It's definitely timezone, as well as province specific as well, since bars in Manitoba normally start serving at 9am but can serve as early as 7 am and is basing it on when the games are played, so from the 15th to the 24th all games are at 7am except on the 16 where there's a game at 5am. The 5am game will still see bars opening at that time but they'll only serve breakfast and serve alcohol at 7am, from the 25th on games start at 9am so they'll return to their normal serving routine.

It's strange the effect of futball has on people.

So Russia beat Saudi Arabia 5-0?

Not sure if Russia was running up the score or if they really thought they might need the goal difference to advance.

Anyhoo... The opening round game I'm anticipating is Saturday's game between Denmark and Peru.

The ancient animosity between the Inca and the Vikings will never be forgotten.

22 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The ancient animosity between the Inca and the Vikings will never be forgotten.

Quetzalcouatl was TOTALLY off-side when he scored that goal just before the final match between the Asgard Aardvarks and the Cuzco Crusaders went to penalties. Or we would have had them, there's just no keeper to compare with Heimdall in that sort of situation.

Ah, so in this case "the World Cup" doesn't refer to the actual game that decides who gets the prize, but to a whole season of games that come before that?  Sort of like referring to the entire baseball winnowing process as "the World Series" instead of just the final deciding competitions.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Ah, so in this case "the World Cup" doesn't refer to the actual game that decides who gets the prize, but to a whole season of games that come before that?  Sort of like referring to the entire baseball winnowing process as "the World Series" instead of just the final deciding competitions.

The terminology that seems to be missing are "playoffs" or "semi-finals".

World Cup qualifying is a three year process.  Although Team USA managed to be eliminated from qualification with a year to spare.

The World Cup Finals have just begun.  The "Finals" have several rounds.  The first round, which began this week, is a series of 32 teams in 8 pools playing 48 games in a round-robin format which will eliminate 16 teams.  The other 16 teams will then play in a series of knock-out rounds until only four teams are left.  The losers of the semi-final games will play for the bronze medal.  The winners of the semi-final games will play for the silver and gold medals.

The "World Cup" is the trophy the winning team gets to hold at the closing ceremony, then it is locked away for another four years.

47 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The "World Cup" is the trophy the winning team gets to hold at the closing ceremony, then it is locked away for another four years.

And after all that trouble, that is when they find out it is decaf. :doom:

Well, Egypt lost the opener.

Since the current Cairo government does not want me, they lose out on my strategic advice.

In case you were wondering, my strategic advice for this would have been "Don't play a high ranked South American team as your opening game in the World Cup.  And while your at it, try to avoid playing the home team as well."

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Since the current Cairo government does not want me, they lose out on my strategic advice.

Their loss. Things just haven't been the same down there since you quit. I will never be able to understand the reasoning behind their "Hey, let's light the library on fire" policy they established in Alexandria.

So Denmark beat Peru for their World Cup opener.  And Iceland, the smallest country in the tournament, tied perennial favourite Argentina.

If Sweden manages to get a result against South Korea on Monday, we may be looking at a Nordic dominated knockout round.

This is scary

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico-goal-fans-celebrate-earthquake-seismic-activity-fifa-world-cup-2018/

Apparently, fans in Mexico City celebrated the win over Germany so intensely that it was detectable as a seismic event.

What will happen if Mexico actually wins the tournament?
Could they generate an earthquake that would trigger a tsunami in the Gulf of Mexico?
My neighbors and I in Florida have some concerns.

56 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

My neighbors and I in Florida have some concerns.

You'll be fine. Now, if Denmark wins, you may have a spot of trouble. The invasive porcines in your state are bad enough without them actually taking to the air as well.