• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
animalia

Character Alignments

This thread is inspired by a quote from Dan on one of the commantaries.

About D&D Character Alignments and... ”Specifically, it got me wondering if Elliot and Ashley are what some would consider to be Lawful Good. I’m not sure, but now that I've brought it up, I'm sure people will let me know what they think about it.

They're not necessarily all that concerned with the written word of the law, but they certainly have their own codes about things and are concerned with doing the right thing. I'm not sure if that makes them Lawful Good or Neutral Good with extra emphasis on "Good".”

So basically I thought it would be good to have a discussion about what their specific character alignment is. And while we’re at it why not discuss the alignments of the other EGS characters as well.

All joking aside I am being serious. Or are you telling me his betting up bullies, admittedly a stage he moves past, doesn’t feel more batman than superman.

On phone cannot edit posts by the way.

Speaking of they are totally the kind of people who would ignore a law against feeding homeless people. I guess one could argue that while they SEEM Lawful Good that only because they are USUALLY in an area where the laws aren’t oppressing anyone. They definitely LEAN towards lawful, they know the importance of rules after all, but start hurting people and they show their  Neutral Good in a snap.

That’s my impression of them at least. But I want to hear other peoples.

1 hour ago, animalia said:

All joking aside I am being serious. Or are you telling me his betting up bullies, admittedly a stage he moves past, doesn’t feel more batman than superman.

I'm pretty sure Elliot has a rule that says "you don't gang up on people or pick on people weaker than you."  Seems to me He made an exception for himself in defending underdogs even though their attackers were weaker than Elliot himself.  It's arguably a way of venting his anger at seeing people beat up on to begin with.  I would guess that Elliot realized how he himself was breaching his own rules and would suggest that's why Elliot stopped bullying bullies.

Elliot also had a powerup move from the early days that vented his inner anger, making him stronger but loosing control.  This move has been retconned out.  The move is gone but the inner anger very likely isn't.  Which would suggest Elliot as someone who is lawful as a way of keeping his inner demons in check.

I'd say Elliot and Ashley definitely fit Lawful Good. As for the rest of the main cast, let's see...

Sarah: Neutral Good? I dunno.

Tedd: Chaotic Good, definitely.

Grace: Also Chaotic Good? Maybe.

Nanase: Neutral Good for sure.

Ellen: Somewhere right on the corner where Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, and True Neutral meet.

Justin: He seems a Neutral Good sort of guy.

Susan: Probably the closest to True Neutral of anyone in the cast...

Diane: ...with one possible exception.

Also semi-related question. Is anyone else here a fan or the Stormlight Archive? I started  a related thread about what order of the Knights Radiant our characters would be, but so far know one has seen interesting.

18 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

Elliot also had a powerup move from the early days that vented his inner anger, making him stronger but loosing control.  This move has been retconned out.  The move is gone but the inner anger very likely isn't.  Which would suggest Elliot as someone who is lawful as a way of keeping his inner demons in check.

I figured that Dan got rid of the move because he decided he didn't want Elliot to have repressed anger.

14 hours ago, animalia said:

Also semi-related question. Is anyone else here a fan or the Stormlight Archive?

Sorry, never heard of it.

44 minutes ago, animalia said:

It’s a series of Fantasy novels by Brandon Sanderson 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stormlight_Archive

I'm in Chapter 53 or so of Way of Kings.  It was a slow buildup all the way through the book.  Part 1 was OK, Part 2 better, Part 3 things got interesting.  I am getting into Part 4 which is awesome.  Sanderson is really putting his main characters through the wringer, though.  I feel sorry for them both.

27 minutes ago, animalia said:

@VorlonagentIn case you haven’t noticed by now Kaladin suffers from Clinical Depression as well Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Seasonal Affective Disorder is especially nasty on their world because of the very fast, semi-random nature of seasons.  I hadn't put those labels on Kaladin but I see what you mean without difficulty.  It was as if his brother Tian got all the "happy" for both of them.  I am deciding whether Tian is a Down's Syndrome case.  Sanderson is clearly describing a known RW condition but my conditions aren't in good condition...   :)

32 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

Seasonal Affective Disorder is especially nasty on their world because of the very fast, semi-random nature of seasons.  I hadn't put those labels on Kaladin but I see what you mean without difficulty.  It was as if his brother Tian got all the "happy" for both of them.  I am deciding whether Tian is a Down's Syndrome case.  Sanderson is clearly describing a known RW condition but my conditions aren't in good condition...   :)

For Kaladin it’s The Weeping when he feels REALLY down. That’s the time between highstorms when it just basically rains. It last about two weeks a Rosharan year. That being said I want to point out that he also has the more “typical” Clinical Depression AS WELL AS the Season Affective Disorder.

Do you want to continue this conversation in Private Message?

8 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...

...which was going through my head as I wrote my post.

Pandora seems to shift between Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral, and Chaotic Good depending on the situation and her mood. It does seem like her "good" tendancies are mostly concerned with her family and those she's taking a liking too, while her "evil" side is more mischievous than malevolent, so I'm thinking it would all even out to Chaotic Neutral.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Pandora seems to shift between Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral, and Chaotic Good depending on the situation and her mood. It does seem like her "good" tendancies are mostly concerned with her family and those she's taking a liking too, while her "evil" side is more mischievous than malevolent, so I'm thinking it would all even out to Chaotic Neutral.

And all three of them appear in this sequence!

Some people think laws are stupid/corrupt/unfair/etc and honestly believe disobeying them is the right thing to do.  The number who think anarchy is better, rather than that the laws should be changed, is probably much much smaller.  But Lawful is about seeing an unjust law, and deciding whether to work within the system to change the law, or go outside the system.  The Freedom Riders chose to protest bad laws (segregation) by deliberately breaking them, not by writing and visiting their elected representatives and trying to get the laws changed within the system.  Not Lawful, but definitely Good.

20 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Some people think laws are stupid/corrupt/unfair/etc and honestly believe disobeying them is the right thing to do.  The number who think anarchy is better, rather than that the laws should be changed, is probably much much smaller.  But Lawful is about seeing an unjust law, and deciding whether to work within the system to change the law, or go outside the system.  The Freedom Riders chose to protest bad laws (segregation) by deliberately breaking them, not by writing and visiting their elected representatives and trying to get the laws changed within the system.  Not Lawful, but definitely Good.

I personally believe that either method has merits, that using both is not to be scorned and that in some cases it becomes so vital to defy unjust acts of government that one is left with no moral choice save to defy the law. While I would prefer to work within the system when possible, I acknowledge that it is not equally easy for all to do so and that some systems are rigged so protest becomes not only dangerous but all but impossible.

Alignments as spectra, not distinct quantum states.  

Maybe characters also need a Shadow alignment to represent what they are like when their usual way of doing things fails.