• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

NP Wednesday July 4, 2018

Crocodiles, lions, hyenas, sharks, and Vikings are obviously dangerous.  You know where you stand with them.

These Grace-a-monsters are too cute.  They will lure you in and destroy you and you will thank them for it.

Feisty. If they cat-slap each other, that is another matter.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

These Grace-a-monsters are too cute.  They will lure you in and destroy you and you will thank them for it.

Must have been loaded with sugar. SuGrace? :demonicduck: 

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Crocodiles, lions, hyenas, sharks, and Vikings are obviously dangerous.  You know where you stand with them.

Just like cats, really.

While Dan does make an interesting point about roughhouse playing, the difference is I've never known animals to do it until one of them is unconscious.

31 minutes ago, AFNB said:

While Dan does make an interesting point about roughhouse playing, the difference is I've never known animals to do it until one of them is unconscious.

My cats used to get into kitty wrestling matches and would immediately curl up and go to sleep afterwards, but I don't think that counts. :danshiftyeyes:

On 7/4/2018 at 6:38 AM, The Old Hack said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/gam-08

Independent little things, aren't they.

I'm surprised they didn't react this way when they stopped their FIRST fight. Wait, DID they stopped the first fight?

On 7/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, ChronosCat said:
On 7/4/2018 at 6:51 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Just like cats, really.

Yes ... cats chosen the charisma build.

2979.png

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

The food chain isn't about individuals. Once prides of lions make significant inroad in the current human population on Earth and humans routinely yield place and move out of the way of lions wherever they go, then we can talk about it.

Then again, maybe not. Watch this video, and at about 3.30 or not long after Martin Sheen makes his case for Scotty's viewpoint.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm surprised they didn't react this way when they stopped their FIRST fight. Wait, DID they stopped the first fight?

Yes ... cats chosen the charisma build.

2979.png

Both cats and dogs seem to have taken the path of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em", and it has worked out very well for them--they get our protection and better food and shelter than they could get on their own. Instead of being preyed upon by us, they get to join in on our hunts.

17 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
21 hours ago, Scotty said:

The food chain isn't about individuals. Once prides of lions make significant inroad in the current human population on Earth and humans routinely yield place and move out of the way of lions wherever they go, then we can talk about it.

It is notable that the lions are in game RESERVE. That is, place DESIGNED by HUMANS to PROTECT them from other humans.

They were able to take out group of people with rifles, but rifles are NOT top weapon humans have. Let's talk again when pride of lions will successfully hunt down something like Boeing AH-64 Apache ... or Boeing B-52 ... or maybe Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

16 hours ago, ijuin said:

Both cats and dogs seem to have taken the path of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em", and it has worked out very well for them--they get our protection and better food and shelter than they could get on their own. Instead of being preyed upon by us, they get to join in on our hunts.

I would say that dogs failed. Sure, they survived, but they lost themselves. Exhibit A:

e3c5a2b4173f9c4e812c76b5e625d2b5_800_0.j

Cats are different. They are mostly still theirs.

Case can also be made about dolphins. They succeeded in convincing humans to protect them but remained free. (More arguments present in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

They were able to take out group of people with rifles, but rifles are NOT top weapon humans have.

I also do not think these particular hunters were a good sample of our top intellects, either.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Let's talk again when pride of lions will successfully hunt down something like Boeing AH-64 Apache ... or Boeing B-52 ... or maybe Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

Given that humans successfully exterminated many species of megafauna thousands of years ago armed with nothing more than primitive muscle-powered weaponry and numbers, I think these lions had better go Voltron before they try.

2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

They were able to take out group of people with rifles, but rifles are NOT top weapon humans have.

I also do not think these particular hunters were a good sample of our top intellects, either.

We will never know if that had any influence on result of the battle, but I second your suspicion it did, considering how it USUALLY ends when lions fight against rifles.

6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Let's talk again when pride of lions will successfully hunt down something like Boeing AH-64 Apache ... or Boeing B-52 ... or maybe Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.

Given that humans successfully exterminated many species of megafauna thousands of years ago armed with nothing more than primitive muscle-powered weaponry and numbers, I think these lions had better go Voltron before they try.

They don't need to combine. They just need the FTL drive, impenetrable force fields , lasers and other technology of Altea.

26 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

They don't need to combine. They just need the FTL drive, impenetrable force fields , lasers and other technology of Altea.

No, the Lions MUST combine.  The other weapons and technology are useful.  But the fight is never decided until the Lions combine to build Voltron and then Form Blazing Sword.

8 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

No, the Lions MUST combine.  The other weapons and technology are useful.  But the fight is never decided until the Lions combine to build Voltron and then Form Blazing Sword.

Never? They never had an embarrassing moment of overestimating the opponent and actually win by mistake before combining?

27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Never? They never had an embarrassing moment of overestimating the opponent and actually win by mistake before combining?

The 80s version of Voltron was extremely predictable.

The lions would face the alien monstre du jure and they would put up a valiant, but losing, fight.

Then the lions would combine into Voltron, and would appear evenly matched with the invader.

Finally, Voltron would Form Blazing Sword and dispatch the enemy with one swing of the blade.

I don't know why they didn't form the blazing sword at the first sign of trouble.

Please don't make me think about the Fleet-of-Vehicles Voltron.

And I watched it every afternoon.

Well, at least there were occasionally episodes where there was a plot-related reason why they didn't form Voltron right away (usually the villains temporarily being genre savvy enough to actually try and separate or disable some of the lions or pilots before they could form Voltron).

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Then the lions would combine into Voltron, and would appear evenly matched with the invader.

Finally, Voltron would Form Blazing Sword and dispatch the enemy with one swing of the blade.

I don't know why they didn't form the blazing sword at the first sign of trouble.

Maybe it was charging for some time?

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe it was charging for some time?

Makes sense to me. It can't use its blazing sword right away. It first has to go Voltron, then spend some time building enough power to charge the Sword.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:49 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And I watched it every afternoon.

For me it was The Transformers, not the current live-action movies but the original animated series.  I actually started with a high school friend convincing me to see Transformers: The Movie, which starred Leonard Nimoy as an insane robot, Eric Idle as a pile of junk, and Orson Welles (in his last movie role) as a planet.  The show was very popular at my high school, it being what was on when we all got home.  And it was a nerd school, that helped.

Oh, and the original G. I. Joe cartoons, too, those two shows kinda went together.

I watched Voltron loyally until it was no longer available to me (I forget if the local station stopped playing it or if the channels available to me changed; my family moved a couple times during that period), at which point I switched to Transformers and soon came to love it just as much. I was pretty upset when they canceled Transformers, but a couple years later I was given a new cartoon to obsess over, TMNT. ...And all that before I turned 10 (not that I ever let growing older stop me from watching cartoons).

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I forget if the local station stopped playing it or if the channels available to me changed

I watched Speed Racer (AKA Mach GoGoGo) and  Battle of the Planets (The American adaptation of the anime series Science Ninja Team Gatchaman) weekday mornings before I went to elementary school on 50 WKBD-TV, Detroit.  Voltron was on the same channel in the afternoons early in high school.  In middle school, the afternoons were for Star Blazers (the heavily edited American translation of Space Battleship Yamato) on 41 WUHQ-TV, Battle Creek/Kalamazoo.

Should I be scared that I can so clearly remember what I watched for an hour or so before and after school, and can barely recall what I studied at school?