• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday July 4, 2018

On what language Nanase's book would be written in, as described in Dan's notes for this page, speaking as someone who fluently speaks both English and Japanese, and who was in a whole department of people who did the same in college, it is EXTREMELY common for people who share multiple languages in common to mix the two, tossing in a few words from one language into a sentence that is grammatically constructed for another language simply because the word is more appropriate for the idea being expressed (e.g. a name for a distinction that the other language doesn't have). For example, even when speaking mostly English, we would say such things as "ani" for "elder brother", since it was briefer and more specific, or "Sempai" for "upperclassman", since "Sempai" has different social connotations. Conversely, the word "aoi" can mean either blue or cyan in Japanese, so we would use the English word if we needed to distinguish between the two.

Anyway, the upshot of this is that if the book is personalized to Nanase, then mixing the two languages would make it MORE understandable to her, not LESS.

THIS IS WHY WE NEVER MESS WITH THE LAWS OF PHYSICS

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

To my friends in the US: Happy Independence Day.

To my friends in the US: Do not burn down the house, or the steaks. :demonicduck:

Ok. So, regarding how hard would be for Grace to use earth magic now after not-a-reset, I think we have answer: it would be hard NOT to. Her "technically awakened" seem to directly go to awakened.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Anyway, the upshot of this is that if the book is personalized to Nanase, then mixing the two languages would make it MORE understandable to her, not LESS.

In fact, maybe THAT would be reason she didn't mind deciphering the spells - with mixing two languages it might've been easier for her ...

And it would probably work even better for hiding it than pure Japanese ...

1 minute ago, Stature said:
1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

To my friends in the US: Do not burn down the house, or the steaks.

And don't scare the dog too much.

Will the changes to the clothes remain after she removes them?

Using shapeshifting abilities for clothing alterations?  Yes, I think I may have found the worst professional use for a super power.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lebhfjSTtSA

Just now, hkmaly said:

Ok. So, regarding how hard would be for Grace to use earth magic now after not-a-reset, I think we have answer: it would be hard NOT to. Her "technically awakened" seem to directly go to awakened.

She may still be using Uryuom Power to resize her clothes, but it's possible that the way Magic works now has affected how Uryuom Power works too?

This is speculation, but considering what we've seen regarding the Uryuom golem and that Uryuom were fighting to take control of Heka's Library, I wonder if Uryuom Power and Magic were more connected or something, Uryuoms still generated their own power while Humans absorbed it from their surrounding which probably gave Uryuoms a huge advantage, especially in shapeshifting, can you imaging an armored Uryuom being able to shrink and grow with their armor? But then there was a system change that caused Uryuoms to lose the ability to resize wearables with them. They would of course eventually develop the worker suits but unless those are bulletproof they probably wouldn't be very good protection in combat would they?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

This is speculation, but considering what we've seen regarding the Uryuom golem and that Uryuom were fighting to take control of Heka's Library, I wonder if Uryuom Power and Magic were more connected or something, Uryuoms still generated their own power while Humans absorbed it from their surrounding which probably gave Uryuoms a huge advantage, especially in shapeshifting, can you imaging an armored Uryuom being able to shrink and grow with their armor? But then there was a system change that caused Uryuoms to lose the ability to resize wearables with them. They would of course eventually develop the worker suits but unless those are bulletproof they probably wouldn't be very good protection in combat would they?

I don't know, I always assumed the Will of Magic only applied to Earth-style magic on Earth (or something like that) and that Uryuoms developed the Worker Suits on the Uryuom home-world for use in hazardous jobs, for the same reasons humans invented clothing - it just took Uryuoms a bit of science to develop clothing that would play well with their shape-shifting, and they never developed a nudity taboo (well except for the Uryuoms who integrated into Human cultures).

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

Conversely, the word "aoi" can mean either blue or cyan in Japanese

Lends yet another meaning to the former-webcomic (now apparently a print-only comic) Aoi House.

(The starting conceit of the comic was that the titular residence was thought to be a Greek-initials frat/sorority, where the reality was that the initial letter Y fell off the sign and nobody bothered to put it back. IMHO it had promise but failed to live up to it by basically being the same joke over and over again... nonetheless the print version is in multiple volumes.)

(As you might expect from the above, it wasn't exactly work-safe.)

Just now, ChronosCat said:

I don't know, I always assumed the Will of Magic only applied to Earth-style magic on Earth (or something like that) and that Uryuoms developed the Worker Suits on the Uryuom home-world for use in hazardous jobs, for the same reasons humans invented clothing - it just took Uryuoms a bit of science to develop clothing that would play well with their shape-shifting, and they never developed a nudity taboo (well except for the Uryuoms who integrated into Human cultures).

Like I said, it was speculation. Mainly I want there to be another explaination for why Grace can now shapeshift her clothes with her (and I can imagine she'd be able to do more than just resize them) that isn't her suddenly now being able to use Magic. Dan stated in the last Q&A that Grace could learn magic, but it would be extremely difficult because she'd have to suppress the urge to use Uryuom Power. I still think it should be difficult for her (she doesn't really need to learn magic does she?) so there having been something that was preventing Uryuom Power users from doing certain things makes sense to me.

Actually, I just thought of a situation where Grace learning magic might be acceptable. Back in Painted Black when Grace went berserk on Damien, Nioi worried that Grace's Lespuko side no longer being dormant might make her weaker in the long run. If however, Grace were to learn Magic on top of her Uryuom Power abilities, that might give her an edge against General Shade Tail if she were to face him in the future.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:13 PM, Scotty said:
On 7/4/2018 at 11:13 AM, hkmaly said:

She may still be using Uryuom Power to resize her clothes, but it's possible that the way Magic works now has affected how Uryuom Power works too?

This is speculation, but considering what we've seen regarding the Uryuom golem and that Uryuom were fighting to take control of Heka's Library, I wonder if Uryuom Power and Magic were more connected or something,

Uryuom power didn't changed and uryuom power doesn't work outside uryuom bodies. However, uryuom power is very similar to magic ... in fact, so similar that without explicit block on it, you can use magic by using uryuom power. Something like induction. Connected indeed.