• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Friday July 6, 2018

U-Fire-uom? I tried.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I am sure this will not in any way be a problem.

*does NOT knock on wood*

What I want to know is, why was an Uryuom trying to use a wand to begin with? Did they just randomly decide to give it a try?

Or maybe that fight with humans over Magic ages ago was something that Uryuoms taught in history class and some Uryuoms longed to be able to use human magic again? As an extension of that, would it be possible for Uryuoms to sense if Magic unblocked itself, which might have prompted this particular Uryuom to wonder if they could use magic now?

Also, Inbefore this Uryuom believes they can fulfill the seyunolu prophecy that Damien was believed to be the one that would, cus you know an Uryuom that believes they're a master of fire might go to their head.

I said this on Discord shortly after posting this, figured I might as well tack it on:

I can see it being that each time a faker comes to try to fulfill the prophecy, Grace will somehow always be there to stop them, and someone will take notice of how she can withstand the faker's fire attacks and be like "maybe the master of fire isn't someone that uses fire, but is unharmed by fire."

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I'm almost certain this pyromaniac Uryuom will confine these experiments with fire and magic to controlled environments in private.

Surely this gentle being cannot possibly be dreaming of becoming the Master of Fire that Damien believed he was destined to be.

10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I agree with this pyromaniac uryuom. Fire is a wonderful thing worthy of celebratory laughter.

Especially on 4th July ... oh wait it's already 6th.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

What I want to know is, why was an Uryuom trying to use a wand to begin with? Did they just randomly decide to give it a try?

Or maybe that fight with humans over Magic ages ago was something that Uryuoms taught in history class and some Uryuoms longed to be able to use human magic again? As an extension of that, would it be possible for Uryuoms to sense if Magic unblocked itself, which might have prompted this particular Uryuom to wonder if they could use magic now?

Maybe that lightshow with immortals tipped them off?

I would assume Dan is not the kind of author who would pull off "all Uryuoms are taught in history class about this but are hiding it from humans, even Lavender" ... however, it may be taught in SOME community.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd better break out the old lab coat and science glasses.

... or at least tell Grace to attempt to do it again, because I doubt he can see anything when nothing is happening.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I'm almost certain this pyromaniac Uryuom will confine these experiments with fire and magic to controlled environments in private.

Surely this gentle being cannot possibly be dreaming of becoming the Master of Fire that Damien believed he was destined to be.

He's smiling! That's good, right? Right? :)

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

... or at least tell Grace to attempt to do it again, because I doubt he can see anything when nothing is happening.

That's basically Tedd's best bet, just have her shapeshift again while he's watching her, in fact maybe see if she can shapeshift her clothes into something completely different at the same time like Elliot can.

That Uryuom is in for a major disappointment when they find out that humans have invented lighters, white phosphorus munitions and flamethrowers since the time magic stopped working for Uryuoms.

Just now, detrius said:

That Uryuom is in for a major disappointment when they find out that humans have invented lighters, white phosphorus munitions and flamethrowers since the time magic stopped working for Uryuoms.

I imagine that when told about that, the Uryuom's response will probably be like Nanase's.

23 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I wonder if that's an old fire-wand, a candle the Uryuom is lighting and putting out with his own new fire spell, or what?

It definitely looks like a wand, although there are various kinds of candles ...

18 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How will this magic change affect Noah?

Will he be angry it took him so much work to get where he is while he could have it almost for free now?

16 hours ago, Entropy said:

What if that fire throwing army that forced the last reset was a Uryuom army?

I wouldn't expect there was ever whole horde of Uryuom on Earth ...

1 hour ago, detrius said:

Uryuoms presumably have FTL travel. And remember that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from big gun.

... unless we will soon find out that they actually arrived through magic gates. Opened from Earth.

I think I was already complaining about this. Inventing smartphones in half year is one thing. If Uryuoms were on Earth hundreds years ago, WHAT THEY DID SINCE THEN? The amount of technology they should be able to invent in that time is unimaginable. (Although lots of sci-fi writers tried.) Was their religion holding them back?

Just now, hkmaly said:

Will he be angry it took him so much work to get where he is while he could have it almost for free now?

I was discussing it on discord the other day and I'm now thinking that Noah has been using Uryuom Power along with Magic, the Magic being the ability to summon the weapons he used to fight the Bulldog Dragon, and the Uryuom Power to fly and create the shadow form, how he got the shadow form to begin with might either have been magic that gave him the form (Adrian using a spell to morph Noah or maybe Noah did have access to a TFG like device). The flight being Uryuom Power seems to be indicated by the fact that Noah had a faint glow around his "antennae" when he started levitating. Other times we've seen antennae glow when flight was initiated was when Vlad took flight to fight Nanase, and then when Grace took flight to chase Damien. Mind you I don't think Dan bothers to do stuff like that nowadays and the reference I gave for Noah is either Dan trying to me more subtle about it, or it's just a coincidence that the glow is from the clouds and just happens to follow the outline of the antennae-wing.

So anyway, there could be a possibility that Noah was able to suppress his Uryuom power to at least learn one spell (that we know of), and probably did have help from Adrian (we at least know Adrian guided where Noah looked to get power).

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

So anyway, there could be a possibility that Noah was able to suppress his Uryuom power to at least learn one spell (that we know of), and probably did have help from Adrian (we at least know Adrian guided where Noah looked to get power).

... yes. I was saying multiple times that the page talking about Grace learning magic was actually talking about how NOAH could get magic without directly confirming Noah is chimera. So yes, I also assume Noah was able to suppress his Uryuom power and awaken. Which is why I mentioned he might be angry he worked so hard on it and it just became much simpler. Especially considering he has anger management problems.

Just now, hkmaly said:

... yes. I was saying multiple times that the page talking about Grace learning magic was actually talking about how NOAH could get magic without directly confirming Noah is chimera. So yes, I also assume Noah was able to suppress his Uryuom power and awaken. Which is why I mentioned he might be angry he worked so hard on it and it just became much simpler. Especially considering he has anger management problems.

I was never disputing the idea that Noah was a chimera and was able to learn magic. I was originally thinking that despite Noah being a chimera, he probably has an easier time learning magic if he never used Uryuom power before. But it seems there is evidence that Noah is also using Uryuom power so it's more likely he's had to work at being able to suppress it to learn magic.

52 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I was originally thinking that despite Noah being a chimera, he probably has an easier time learning magic if he never used Uryuom power before. But it seems there is evidence that Noah is also using Uryuom power so it's more likely he's had to work at being able to suppress it to learn magic.

It MAY be harder for Grace due to her training her Uryuom power (and due to Lespuko side etc) but I don't consider it too likely. More likely, ALL Uryuoms and chimeras, no matter how much Uryuom power they used, would default to use Uryuom power and would need to suppress it to learn magic.

On 7/7/2018 at 3:38 PM, hkmaly said:

Uryuoms presumably have FTL travel. And remember that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from big gun.

And slightly less advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big bomb.

16 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 7/8/2018 at 0:38 AM, hkmaly said:

And slightly less advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big bomb.

I think it needs to be taken little metaphorically.

Although any propulsion technology is literally indistinguishable from gun. You can ALWAYS accelerate a projectile and hit target with it.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Although any propulsion technology is literally indistinguishable from gun. You can ALWAYS accelerate a projectile and hit target with it.

Indeed. One scenario that is a favourite of sci fi is taking a fair sized rock and then accelerating it towards a planetary target. If the math is done correctly, it will hit with destructive force that may readily be measured in kilotonnes of TNT. Overdo it and you may well badly damage or even destroy the planet's biosphere. Also, I believe it was in the Man-Kzin war in Niven's universe where the humans won the opening fight by unexpectedly using the _exhaust_ of their ramscoop drive as a weapon.

I am less convinced of the value of the hot air balloon as a projectile. You can of course always drop things from it, but the much-loved maneuver of accelerating to ramming speed does not seem to come quite as naturally to it.