• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Friday 06 July 2018

21 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Here is

Edward as the voice of verbiage.   OK then.

I know Dan says he's a tutorial NPC, but there are a lot of players that can be that way as well, especially in MMO's where you have a choice of many skills and perks and stuff but you get forced into taking cookie cutter builds or else no one will do group content with you.

Yeah ... hidden values ... like IVs in Pokemon Go ... :)

54 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I know Dan says he's a tutorial NPC, but there are a lot of players that can be that way as well, especially in MMO's where you have a choice of many skills and perks and stuff but you get forced into taking cookie cutter builds or else no one will do group content with you.

That's why only being able to build one character is getting obsolete.

12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah ... hidden values ... like IVs in Pokemon Go ... :)

That's why only being able to build one character is getting obsolete.

I had probably 30 characters in WoW, 8 of them (2 paladins, 2 hunters, 2 Shaman, one each for Alliance and Horde, 1 Mage, 1 Priest ) were near or at max level last time I played, but even then each class had 3 specializations and while at the time I last played, (Warlords of Draenor expansion) Blizzard had greatly simplified the classes, replacing the talent trees with a choice of 3 perks to choose from at various levels that can be choses regardless of your specialization. but even with that simplified, you ended up getting locked to a specific specialization with a specific set of perk that everyone of that class had to use if they wanted to raid. Then you not only had to worry about having the required item level to enter a dungeon or raid, but you're required (by the guild) to use specific enchantments and stuff on your gear. In the end nobody was unique, and it just didn't feel fun anymore.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Then you not only had to worry about having the required item level to enter a dungeon or raid, but you're required (by the guild) to use specific enchantments and stuff on your gear. In the end nobody was unique, and it just didn't feel fun anymore.

I wonder why noone tried to start guild for players which just wanted to have fun. Could it be because with YOLO builds, you just wouldn't be able to do the raid with max allowed number of people?

Just now, hkmaly said:

I wonder why noone tried to start guild for players which just wanted to have fun. Could it be because with YOLO builds, you just wouldn't be able to do the raid with max allowed number of people?

The guild I was in used to run older content where builds and gear wasn't an issue...unless you were running AQ40 where even if everyone was level 100 (and AQ40 was level 60 content) you would still get owned on the twin emperors if you can keep them separated.

But for endgame of a given expansion, it was pretty strict to the point where it was like sports where teams had to study play by plays and such to learn strategies, it wasn't about figuring it out yourselves, it was about others figure it out and posting the results on the Elitist Jerks website.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:
18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The guild I was in used to run older content where builds and gear wasn't an issue...unless you were running AQ40 where even if everyone was level 100 (and AQ40 was level 60 content) you would still get owned on the twin emperors if you can keep them separated.

But for endgame of a given expansion, it was pretty strict to the point where it was like sports where teams had to study play by plays and such to learn strategies, it wasn't about figuring it out yourselves, it was about others figure it out and posting the results on the Elitist Jerks website.

Don't blame the guilds then.

58 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Don't blame the guilds then.

I blame the mentality of trying to be #1 with ruining my experience.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

I blame the mentality of trying to be #1 with ruining my experience.

The Moderator: Gentlemen, you have strayed rather far off topic. This thread was supposed to be about the just-published EGS strip, after all. Could you please relocate your WoW discussion to the Off Topic forum?

~tOH.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The Moderator: Gentlemen, you have strayed rather far off topic. This thread was supposed to be about the just-published EGS strip, after all. Could you please relocate your WoW discussion to the Off Topic forum?

~tOH.

I apologize, though to be honest, I had written down far more ranty variations of that post. I'm just going to leave it at this anyway.

"BLARGH, I say. BLARGH."

Yeah, that's about how I feel about CCG in general.  It wouldn't be so bad if you could jump right in to play, it's having to pay for a whole bunch of cards you don't want, just on the hopes you might get one you do want.

21 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

"BLARGH, I say. BLARGH."

Yeah, that's about how I feel about CCG in general.  It wouldn't be so bad if you could jump right in to play, it's having to pay for a whole bunch of cards you don't want, just on the hopes you might get one you do want.

And people were up in arms about loot boxes in video games being considered gambling, yet CCGs (and even trading cards in general) have been doing the random luck thing for decades.

13 hours ago, Stature said:

Wrong time, really. Come back to him if Justin is really beat.

Yes ; most people are much more receptive to instructions when they are physically unable to leave.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 7/7/2018 at 4:37 PM, CritterKeeper said:

And people were up in arms about loot boxes in video games being considered gambling, yet CCGs (and even trading cards in general) have been doing the random luck thing for decades.

I wonder if it could be because CCG was more open with it - like, publishing the chances and so. Also, it's TRADING cards - that suggest people are supposed to trade the cards between themselves. In video games that's often impossible.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I wonder if it could be because CCG was more open with it - like, publishing the chances and so. Also, it's TRADING cards - that suggest people are supposed to trade the cards between themselves. In video games that's often impossible.

I'd guess it's mostly because there are no incredible long shot odds, you always get something at least halfway decent, and there are ways to bypass the randomness - trading with other people, or just buying the exact card you want from a store that sells individual cards. Also, there are play formats specifically designed to level the playing field for everyone no matter how many or few cards you've bought before.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Also, it's TRADING cards - that suggest people are supposed to trade the cards between themselves. In video games that's often impossible.

Trading cards can be a big deal among collectors though as full sets can be worth a fair amount of money. And then for individual cards the value is dependent on not just rarity but if we're talking sports cards then certain players are obviously more valued, I don't have a full set of 1990 Pro Set Hockey cards, but I know I have a couple of Sergei Federov and a Mats Sundin rookie cards that are worth $0.75 and $0.60 respectively, also have a couple Wayne Gretsky's worth $0.25-0.75 and a Brett Hull worth $1.50, most of the other cards in the set are worth $0.05-0.15 for comparison. I would imagine the values might be higher for cards made by Upper Deck and Parkhurst. And of course the further back you go, the rarer and more valuable some cards and sets get, my dad and his friends used to collect hockey and baseball cards when they were kids but instead of keeping them in mint condition, they pinned them to their bike wheels so that they made noise when the rode up and down the street...