• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Monday July 9, 2018

I figured it'd be Susan after Dan tweeted that someone wasn't going to want to share their experience with anyone, I figured Diane will be the same but we'll probably have to wait till we get to Monday unless Ellen and Nanase try to get a hold of Diane over the weekend. Curious if they try to ask Susan first or hear from Sarah about Susan not wanting to talk and try to ask Diane instead, or maybe Ellen and Nanase will be more occupied with what happened to Ellen and it won't be until they see Diane at school that they remember. I really wanna know how Diane's handling it now.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Numb?

Has she become comfortably numb?

Okay
it's just a little pin prick
there'll be no more aaaaaaaaah
but you may feel a little sick

Can you stand up?
I do believe it's working - good -
that'll keep you going through the show
come on, it's time to go...

Good old case of introversion, really. But it is neat that now we come to something completely different at a nice, even 300.

... THIS! IS!! SARAH!!! :demonicduck:

Coming to four years since the card game arc. Gosh, that WAS a long time.

Just now, Stature said:

Coming to four years since the card game arc. Gosh, that WAS a long time.

And only 1 week has passed for them. ;)

Just now, Drasvin said:

Based on the links in the commentary, it looks like next up we'll get Sarah and Tedd talking about what happened to Box.

Yeah, I'm not even sure if Tedd had told Sarah about meeting Pandora the night before and learning about being a wand maker, but Pandora's reset would certainly affect Sarah.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

I figured it'd be Susan after Dan tweeted that someone wasn't going to want to share their experience with anyone, I figured Diane will be the same but we'll probably have to wait till we get to Monday unless Ellen and Nanase try to get a hold of Diane over the weekend.

Diane would be unlikely to share her experience with anyone even if it would be something simple. I think her closest friend is Rhoda and she's still not sharing everything with her.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:
9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Based on the links in the commentary, it looks like next up we'll get Sarah and Tedd talking about what happened to Box.

Yeah, I'm not even sure if Tedd had told Sarah about meeting Pandora the night before and learning about being a wand maker, but Pandora's reset would certainly affect Sarah.

I don't think he has enough time for that ... wait, he WAS talking to Sarah during Friday ... but still, it's quite a lot to explain and sensitive topic which is not good idea to talk about in school.

And yes: Pandora's reset would affect Sarah, magic not-a-reset will affect Sarah, and I think Tedd WOULD tell Sarah about being "related" to Pandora even if she didn't reset.

1 hour ago, detrius said:

I think Sarah might find a box in her closet.

There is potential in that, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be today. Pandora is likely to be completely out for some time now.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Diane would be unlikely to share her experience with anyone even if it would be something simple. I think her closest friend is Rhoda and she's still not sharing everything with her.

I stated on discord that this is likely hitting Diane harder than is it Susan. Sure, Susan killed her second vampire, but it was chasing an innocent and Susan was determined to protect them, finding out she's distantly related to Adrian and Pandora isn't quite the same as Diane finding out that Adrian's her biological dad as well as watching her grandmother essentially be executed for protecting her family. Though maybe Susan's numbness is due to the fact that she was treating Pandora's reset like she wasn't related to her.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I don't think he has enough time for that ... wait, he WAS talking to Sarah during Friday ... but still, it's quite a lot to explain and sensitive topic which is not good idea to talk about in school.

Yeah I doubt Tedd would have wanted to say anything while at school and was probably waiting for the weekend anyway to mention Pandora's visit.

Just now, hkmaly said:

And yes: Pandora's reset would affect Sarah, magic not-a-reset will affect Sarah, and I think Tedd WOULD tell Sarah about being "related" to Pandora even if she didn't reset.

Wait, where's it mentioned that Sarah's related to Pandora? Or did you mean Susan? If so I don't think Tedd would know that.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I stated on discord that this is likely hitting Diane harder than is it Susan. Sure, Susan killed her second vampire, but it was chasing an innocent and Susan was determined to protect them, finding out she's distantly related to Adrian and Pandora isn't quite the same as Diane finding out that Adrian's her biological dad as well as watching her grandmother essentially be executed for protecting her family. Though maybe Susan's numbness is due to the fact that she was treating Pandora's reset like she wasn't related to her.

It's very likely hitting Diane harder AND she's likely less experienced in dealing with it. Susan already has lot of life-shattering experiences behind her - her father cheating, killing her first vampire, her awakening ... she is still affected by finding out she's related to an immortal, an elf and, well, Diane, as well as her second killing of vampire, but it can't be that hard. She can basically ignore all of that if she wants to ... but she doesn't want, obviously.

Diane can't ignore it. Adrian is her own father and only biological family she knows about. And on top of that, despite her meeting with griffins, this is still more weirdness than she's used to.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Wait, where's it mentioned that Sarah's related to Pandora? Or did you mean Susan? If so I don't think Tedd would know that.

No I mean Tedd. Not related in biological sense, but he DOES consider Pandora his family. I meant that he would tell Sarah that "Box" is Pandora and his grandgodmother.

Also, good point. Currently, Susan and Tedd consider themselves to be part of single family, but neither knows about the other. Could be interesting.

(BTW, there is also another ticking bomb but this one might never explode on panel: Arthur was quite confused by Tedd being family with Immortal ... when he finds out it's "just" due to Adrian Raven being his godfather, he will be like "oh, right, of course, nothing weird about it" ... then he presumably finds out Diane is Adrian's daughter and Pandora's granddaughter. Biological granddaughter. He might even find out he has one or more immortals between ancestors as well.)

Just now, hkmaly said:

No I mean Tedd. Not related in biological sense, but he DOES consider Pandora his family. I meant that he would tell Sarah that "Box" is Pandora and his grandgodmother.

Also, good point. Currently, Susan and Tedd consider themselves to be part of single family, but neither knows about the other. Could be interesting.

Ahh, yeah Adrian being Tedd's godfather makes Pandora fairly close, especially considering how Pandora responded to Tedd begin genderfluid. Hearing about Pandora being reset definitely hit Tedd hard, but the reassurance that Pandora would come back and remember Tedd as family helped a lot.

And yeah, Tedd and Susan have some more in common now aside from having parents divorced, as such, Diane would probably be considered Tedd's godsister.

Also... IF (big if) a human's magical potential is at all tied to the amount of fairy DNA one has, then Diane almost certainly is a wizard (with zero training and very-close-to-zero experience), probably a relatively powerful one.

(The expectation that Tedd would be a wizard due to having two wizard parents, kind of indicates that such a tie is commonly believed to exist. However it isn't proof of anything at all.)

35 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And yeah, Tedd and Susan have some more in common now aside from having parents divorced,

Right, forgot about that.

25 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Also... IF (big if) a human's magical potential is at all tied to the amount of fairy DNA one has, then Diane almost certainly is a wizard (with zero training and very-close-to-zero experience), probably a relatively powerful one.

(The expectation that Tedd would be a wizard due to having two wizard parents, kind of indicates that such a tie is commonly believed to exist. However it isn't proof of anything at all.)

Being a wizard is just one specific talent you can have, not necessarily being connected to having big magic potential. Nanase has big magic potential, royal-level actually, but she's still not wizard. Presumably.

In fact, it's possible multiple fairies between ancestors are necessary for being wizard.

Conclusion: I think that Diane has big magic potential, definitely bigger than Susan (but obviously zero training and almost-zero experience), but she's not wizard. Her talent is weapon summoning.

I find those made-up distinctions and probabilities pretty exhausting.

To me, discussing the technical details of 'magic' in the EGS universe basically has reached the point of counting midichlorians.

Any character in EGS has relatively high magical potential simply due to this being EGS. I don't see the point of speculating any further.

I mean, the entire past storyline has basically been about Dan breaking free of the self-imposed regulations for how magic works in his world and yet here we are again, trying to press it into rules and family trees.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Being a wizard is just one specific talent you can have, not necessarily being connected to having big magic potential. Nanase has big magic potential, royal-level actually, but she's still not wizard. Presumably.

In fact, it's possible multiple fairies between ancestors are necessary for being wizard.

Conclusion: I think that Diane has big magic potential, definitely bigger than Susan (but obviously zero training and almost-zero experience), but she's not wizard. Her talent is weapon summoning.

Nanase was also awakened at the time Tara "looked" at her aura, Diane wasn't and Tara commented that she had the potential, I dunno if being awakened would have given Tara royalty vibes from Diane as well. There's also the possibility that Diane's biological mother wasn't a wizard and so Diane's potential power could be considerably less than Adrian's while Susan's ancestry could have had a few wizards which kept her potential fairly strong which might even things out with Susan and Diane.

28 minutes ago, detrius said:

I mean, the entire past storyline has basically been about Dan breaking free of the self-imposed regulations for how magic works in his world and yet here we are again, trying to press it into rules and family trees.

If the rules were all ideal, human spells would become random, the agitated energies forming massive storms of chaos magic.

Dan is breaking free of SOME regulations. Not nearly all of them.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Nanase was also awakened at the time Tara "looked" at her aura, Diane wasn't and Tara commented that she had the potential, I dunno if being awakened would have given Tara royalty vibes from Diane as well.

That wouldn't be against anything I write but yes, it's possible ... not certain but possible.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

There's also the possibility that Diane's biological mother wasn't a wizard and so Diane's potential power could be considerably less than Adrian's while Susan's ancestry could have had a few wizards which kept her potential fairly strong which might even things out with Susan and Diane.

Yes. There are definitely lot of wizards in Nanase's ancestry, which makes possible she's stronger than Diane. We don't know anything about other magic users (or wizards) in Susan's ancestry but there may be some.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Diane would have 25-ish percent Fairy DNA or slightly more if any of her distant maternal ancestors were fairies as well. Somewhere in between 25% and 50% is the threshold where a person becomes immune to natural aging and is considered an Elf. Diane is presumably not a full-fledged Elf, but may get some Elf-like benefits (e.g. she may not be unaging but might get several extra decades of healthy lifespan).

6 hours ago, detrius said:

I find those made-up distinctions and probabilities pretty exhausting.

To me, discussing the technical details of 'magic' in the EGS universe basically has reached the point of counting midichlorians.

Any character in EGS has relatively high magical potential simply due to this being EGS. I don't see the point of speculating any further.

The Moderator: Perhaps you would benefit from reading the FAQ again. Particularly the section about being polite and offering constructive criticism instead of merely complaining and tearing down.

~tOH.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:

Diane would have 25-ish percent Fairy DNA or slightly more if any of her distant maternal ancestors were fairies as well. Somewhere in between 25% and 50% is the threshold where a person becomes immune to natural aging and is considered an Elf. Diane is presumably not a full-fledged Elf, but may get some Elf-like benefits (e.g. she may not be unaging but might get several extra decades of healthy lifespan).

While possible, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't work "normally" and even with 75% fairy DNA you won't be elf unless you are first generation. Diane's ears are not any pointier than Susan's.

On the other hand, noone in EGS died due to old age yet. It is entirely possible that even average wizard have twice the lifespan of mortals and Diane would have good chance to live to two hundred ... even if Tedd wouldn't find out how to make people immortal.

Seriously. They already have backup of their bodies aged 18 and Tedd even didn't LOOKED into immortality. What could stop him? What stopped previous seers? ... DID it stopped them or are they just hiding? In Avalon partying with other elves?

The first rule of being immortal?

YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT BEING IMMORTAL!

The second rule of being immortal?

YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT BEING IMMORTAL!

No matter how much you may like some mortals, as a group, they will find ways to make your unending existence unbearable.  Even if you are immune to the normal threats like aging, disease, or starvation, and even if you can regenerate and recover from any injury you have suffered so far, DO NOT underestimate the ability of humans to annoy, hurt, and even possibly destroy you.  They might do all three at once without even trying.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Even if you are immune to the normal threats like aging, disease, or starvation, and even if you can regenerate and recover from any injury you have suffered so far, DO NOT underestimate the ability of humans to annoy, hurt, and even possibly destroy you.  They might do all three at once without even trying.

Look, Pharaoh, I understand, but really, you need to let that von Däniken thing go. At this point you are only hurting yourself with it.