• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Illjwamh

Story: Fri. Jul. 20, 2018

So, it's Diane trying to look less like Susan or more?

And are hairdresser really that surprised by "language"? This is reaction I would expect more from teacher ...

9 minutes ago, Illjwamh said:

Woo! Diane! Excited to see her again. Also, glad to see that Susan is already considering her for things like this.

"Things like this"? This may be "I totally feel like seeing some turn brain off movie ... I wonder if Diane feels the same ... wait, maybe we could see the movie together?"

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

So, it's Diane trying to look less like Susan or more?

And are hairdresser really that surprised by "language"? This is reaction I would expect more from teacher ...

Yes, for a moment before I realized that Diane was in a hairdresser's chair, I thought that the woman might have been her adopted mother. IIRC, Diane spoke about not having understood about how ethnicity worked (or that she was adopted) until she was six years old, so until we see evidence of otherwise, it would be plausible for Diane's adoptive mother to look more like Rhea (also adopted) than like Diane.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

"Things like this"? This may be "I totally feel like seeing some turn brain off movie ... I wonder if Diane feels the same ... wait, maybe we could see the movie together?"

Susan doesn't want to talk about what happened the night before, but laying around is doing nothing for her so she's reached out to someone who likely is feeling the same way. I imagine one of them will end up bringing up the subject of the night before at some point, but for now, Susan wants to get out of the house and Diane is the least likely person to pester her for details.

Diane getting a haircut might have been for the same reason, get out of the house and away from people that might be pestering for details. Mind you it's unclear whether her family knows what Diane was doing last night and if she was anywhere near the incident, but if her behaviour after the fact was very noticeable to her family, they may try to get her to talk.

But what is a "Turn Your Brain Off" movie?

Doesn't every film from Hollywood require intellectual and emotional investment from the audience as the story develops ideas and feelings that are outside the preconceived notions of the viewer?

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Doesn't every film from Hollywood require intellectual and emotional investment from the audience as the story develops ideas and feelings that are outside the preconceived notions of the viewer?

Maybe the theatre is reshowing "Sporkman" for a limited time.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The last couple Die Hard movies probably fit the bill.

17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure Hairdressers have the same variety of personalities and opinions as people in most other occupations.

12 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, for a moment before I realized that Diane was in a hairdresser's chair, I thought that the woman might have been her adopted mother. IIRC, Diane spoke about not having understood about how ethnicity worked (or that she was adopted) until she was six years old, so until we see evidence of otherwise, it would be plausible for Diane's adoptive mother to look more like Rhea (also adopted) than like Diane.

As you say, that's a hairdresser's chair. Also, the woman is wearing what appears to be a uniform. So unless Diane's mother is a hairdresser, that's probably not her.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No, but many expect the viewer to pay a little bit of attention in order to figure out which stock plots are being used, and to play along with the obvious attempts to manipulate your emotions. Therefore the most likely candidates for a "turn your brain off movie" would be the sort of action movie that either has no plot besides "these people are fighting each other" or spells out what little plot there is in a very obvious manner as soon as possible.

Personally, when I want to zone out in front of a screen I prefer to turn on a documentary and then not pay attention to the words, but to each their own.

"Turn off your brain movie"

That, in my case, would be most that are "about" computers.  Based on what I have seen, the more you know about a subject, the less likely you are to like a movie about that subject.

15 minutes ago, mlooney said:

"Turn off your brain movie"

That, in my case, would be most that are "about" computers.  Based on what I have seen, the more you know about a subject, the less likely you are to like a movie about that subject.

In Susan's case, it would be Star Trek, we kinda already know her opinions on the Alternate Timeline movies so I'm uncertain if she'd consider those as "turn your brain off" material, but we don't really know what Diane would be interested in, well aside from anything with Griffins of course.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Diane getting a haircut might have been for the same reason, get out of the house and away from people that might be pestering for details. Mind you it's unclear whether her family knows what Diane was doing last night and if she was anywhere near the incident, but if her behaviour after the fact was very noticeable to her family, they may try to get her to talk.

Yes. She CAN say stuff which would be safe (and true) - like, yes, she was in the mall when the vampires attacked but was in safe distance ; yes, she found some relatives there - but first, she's in no emotional shape to talk about it, much less think about what's safe to say to her family, and second, depending on how much footage from the incident ended up online, she may be VISIBLE there - and Susan and Adrian definitely are.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That was very good joke.

43 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure Hairdressers have the same variety of personalities and opinions as people in most other occupations.

I'm sure hairdressers who are perceived as rude to customers are fired.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

In Susan's case, it would be Star Trek, we kinda already know her opinions on the Alternate Timeline movies so I'm uncertain if she'd consider those as "turn your brain off" material, but we don't really know what Diane would be interested in, well aside from anything with Griffins of course.

While Star Trek is relaxation for her, I suspect that it wouldn't fit the "brain off" description. And, yes, it's unlikely anything except the alternate timeline would be in cinemas.

Maybe it would be time for something from Disney? Say, Frozen? (Wait ... they are already in 2014 ...)

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. She CAN say stuff which would be safe (and true) - like, yes, she was in the mall when the vampires attacked but was in safe distance ; yes, she found some relatives there - but first, she's in no emotional shape to talk about it, much less think about what's safe to say to her family, and second, depending on how much footage from the incident ended up online, she may be VISIBLE there - and Susan and Adrian definitely are.

It's mainly about what Diane would feel comfortable sharing with her adopted family, we know she hadn't told them about Susan Friday morning because of the whole vampire business from the previous week, but we don't know if she said anything later when she left to go meet Susan. She might still consider every detail to be sensitive, especially after what happened. Just like Susan, she'll have to come to terms with everything before she can feel comfortable telling anyone.

18 minutes ago, Scotty said:
25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's mainly about what Diane would feel comfortable sharing with her adopted family, we know she hadn't told them about Susan Friday morning because of the whole vampire business from the previous week

Actually, that "You just haven't told them because of the weirdness with vampires and stuff" didn't sounded completely sincere to me. She MAY be uncomfortable talking about her biological family with her adoptive family ... completely forgot that.

25 minutes ago, Scotty said:

, but we don't know if she said anything later when she left to go meet Susan. She might still consider every detail to be sensitive, especially after what happened. Just like Susan, she'll have to come to terms with everything before she can feel comfortable telling anyone.

Yes. Hence my "she's in no emotional shape to talk about it".

Hmmm ... I suppose Susan didn't told her mother either. Does she care?

Just now, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... I suppose Susan didn't told her mother either. Does she care?

The previous Saturday she smuggled 4 fairy dolls into her house, her mom apparently has no clue what Susan's private life is like, though I say "apparently" even though we have yet to see Mrs Pompoms since "Night Out" aside from flashbacks to Susan's childhood, for all we know, Mrs Pompoms is in her own circle with Mama Kitsune, Edward and Mr and Mrs Dunkel. </wild speculation>

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The previous Saturday she smuggled 4 fairy dolls into her house, her mom apparently has no clue what Susan's private life is like

Was that smuggling hard? I consider possible her mother knows very little of Susan's private life and doesn't care for more ... although she DOES know Justin is gay ...

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

though I say "apparently" even though we have yet to see Mrs Pompoms since "Night Out" aside from flashbacks to Susan's childhood, for all we know, Mrs Pompoms is in her own circle with Mama Kitsune, Edward and Mr and Mrs Dunkel. </wild speculation>

Definitely wild speculation. I think Mama Kitsune is only one hiding her magic and knowledge from her children. Mr. and Mrs. Dunkel, while also hiding something, seem to not be connected to DGB (remember Edward was surprised how they reacted to Ellen), which suggest they don't have magic. And I think Mrs Pompoms is just rich.

For those who don't follow Dan's Twitter, I wanted to point out that he edited the shot of Diane getting her hair cut to look closer to the final look of her haircut.

From a continuity perspective I don't think it was necessary, as she was clearly mid-cut at the time. However, I do think seeing more of a half-way point does make the transition to her new cut a lot less jarring.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

From a continuity perspective I don't think it was necessary, as she was clearly mid-cut at the time. However, I do think seeing more of a half-way point does make the transition to her new cut a lot less jarring.

Actually, before I though the cutting didn't started yet.

38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmm, hard to say. Either way, it certainly didn't look to me like they were finished.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That's basically what I figured too. but apparently we were in the minority and the majority didn't know she was getting a haircut, I was confused by the whole twitter thread about people thinking Diane was Sarah even though Sarah has more hair than Diane now among other differences. I guess if you went back to the first Sister arc Sarah's hair then is like Diane's hair now, but still that was a year ago comic time and she had let it grow by the time Painted Black.....wait a moment, how the heck did Sarah's hair grow to be that length a day after her double date with Elliot, Grace and Tedd?!?! Actually it would seem that her hair literally grew that fast overnight.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

That's basically what I figured too. but apparently we were in the minority and the majority didn't know she was getting a haircut, I was confused by the whole twitter thread about people thinking Diane was Sarah even though Sarah has more hair than Diane now among other differences. I guess if you went back to the first Sister arc Sarah's hair then is like Diane's hair now, but still that was a year ago comic time and she had let it grow by the time Painted Black.....wait a moment, how the heck did Sarah's hair grow to be that length a day after her double date with Elliot, Grace and Tedd?!?! Actually it would seem that her hair literally grew that fast overnight.

I suspect her hair was already growing quite fast DURING that date, but it DEFINITELY helped that she was moderating Q&A meanwhile.

In any case, good point, putting it on wiki.