• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story Friday July 27, 2018

That's right, Mr. Verrez: the gig's up! Not just an international incident too big to cover up without a worldwide memory wipe that's probably liable to be interpreted as an act of war, but if enough vampires were as rich and powerful as Sirleck, I'm betting a very large number of major world leaders, multi-billionaires and crime bosses just got wiped from existence, leaving enormous power vacuums everywhere. Also, Africa, and every single disenfranchised victim of colonization, has Ancient Magic now. So does Iran, or should I say, Babylon and Persia. So does the IRA, or should I say, Eire, home of the Tuath De. Where were you when Ah Puch and the Great Buffalo Spirit declared war on the Sons of Odhinn, or Yamaraja arose from the depths of Naraka to make war upon mighty Al-Uzza and Ba'al?

45 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

That's right, Mr. Verrez: the gig's up! Not just an international incident too big to cover up without a worldwide memory wipe that's probably liable to be interpreted as an act of war, but if enough vampires were as rich and powerful as Sirleck, I'm betting a very large number of major world leaders, multi-billionaires and crime bosses just got wiped from existence, leaving enormous power vacuums everywhere. Also, Africa, and every single disenfranchised victim of colonization, has Ancient Magic now. So does Iran, or should I say, Babylon and Persia. So does the IRA, or should I say, Eire, home of the Tuath De. Where were you when Ah Puch and the Great Buffalo Spirit declared war on the Sons of Odhinn, or Yamaraja arose from the depths of Naraka to make war upon mighty Al-Uzza and Ba'al?

As far as powerful leaders being aberrations, I remember this being discussed before and I know it was mentioned that Sirleck was a rare type of aberration, not saying he was the only bodysnatcher, but not many. Also I think it was mentioned that aberrations weren't keen on being in the public spotlight as it would limit their ability to feed and such. If Vlad the Impaler was indeed an aberration, he'd probably also be an example to other aberrations that trying to use your power to rule would likely get a giant target painted on your back.

Overall mood: "Raised eyebrows".

I: Only Nanase can punch a punching bag bare-handed. I think. :demonicduck: 

III: "It is in your 'JEANS'". And if short sleeve over long sleeve is a 90's thing, polo shirt over long sleeve is like a 70's/80's thing.

VI: Not speculating where Edward is going. It does not feel like an arrival area, anyway.

It took me a moment to realize that the light haired person in panel three is Diane and not Sarah. Her haircut looks good, though.

1 hour ago, wanderingmagus said:

Also, Africa, and every single disenfranchised victim of colonization, has Ancient Magic now. So does Iran, or should I say, Babylon and Persia. So does the IRA, or should I say, Eire, home of the Tuath De. Where were you when Ah Puch and the Great Buffalo Spirit declared war on the Sons of Odhinn, or Yamaraja arose from the depths of Naraka to make war upon mighty Al-Uzza and Ba'al?

No living person should have access to old magic systems (The uryuom are probably less a case of gaining access to an old magic system than their natural magic is no longer incompatible with Earth magic), though old magic artifacts will be coming back online.

26 minutes ago, Stature said:

VI: Not speculating where Edward is going. It does not feel like an arrival area, anyway.

Based on the title of the newspaper he's reading, he might be in the D.C. area, meaning he's probably on his way home, though he could be headed to another location for work.

Yay for speed-line background in panel one! (It reminds me of the cinema scenes in the NES Ninja Gaiden games.)

2 hours ago, wanderingmagus said:

Where were you when Ah Puch and the Great Buffalo Spirit declared war on the Sons of Odhinn, or Yamaraja arose from the depths of Naraka to make war upon mighty Al-Uzza and Ba'al?

Although that sounds awesome, unless Immortals want to start publicly passing themselves off as ancient deities, it's just going to be people against people with no "gods" involved.

46 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

It took me a moment to realize that the light haired person in panel three is Diane and not Sarah. Her haircut looks good, though.

Same here, though I don't feel like that haircut suits Diane.

48 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

No living person should have access to old magic systems (The uryuom are probably less a case of gaining access to an old magic system than their natural magic is no longer incompatible with Earth magic), though old magic artifacts will be coming back online.

I believe it was said that people could use old magic systems if they know how, but the default magic system for new magic users is still the current one. In other words, in addition to ancient artifacts, people could learn old magic systems from books or any immortal beings who happen to still remember the old systems.

51 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Based on the title of the newspaper he's reading, he might be in the D.C. area, meaning he's probably on his way home, though he could be headed to another location for work.

That's what I figured as well.

17 minutes ago, WR...S said:

...yeah, I don't know if I'll ever be able to look at the new Diane and not think "Sarah."

Oddly I don't think that.  It's a different enough style that doesn't trigger "Sarah" to me.  

1 hour ago, WR...S said:

...yeah, I don't know if I'll ever be able to look at the new Diane and not think "Sarah."

Wait, what? Sarah is in the panel just below Diane with her new hairstyle and they do not remotely look the same. :icon_eek:

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Wait, what? Sarah is in the panel just below Diane with her new hairstyle and they do not remotely look the same. :icon_eek:

That just makes it worse - my mind wants to read Diane as a badly drawn Sarah. Either that or an android (or gynoid if you prefer) - that's a very neat and orderly style (it probably doesn't help that it's freshly cut; if Dan does it right it should look more natural as it grows out).

I like the side-by-side comparison with Susan and Diane.  You can see how similar their faces are, but also things like how Susan sits up straight, shoulders back, hands in her lap, while Diane is a little bit sprawled, slouching back in the seat, with her arm on the arm rest, not afraid to claim the space around her.  But Susan doesn't look at all uncomfortable, that is just how she sits naturally at this point, keeping her hands off the communal armrest.

Dan missed a chance to show Susan with popcorn and chopsticks, though I guess seeing her clearly is more important.

Diane's head looks a bit squashed on top, but I'm not sure if it's really shaped wrong or if it just looks flat by comparison to Susan's bangs.

When I saw Mr. Verres at an airport, my first thought was that Van had arranged somehow to get him and Noriko to head to the US to speak with Tedd.

I'm probably wrong, but thought it would be interesting.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I believe it was said that people could use old magic systems if they know how, but the default magic system for new magic users is still the current one. In other words, in addition to ancient artifacts, people could learn old magic systems from books or any immortal beings who happen to still remember the old systems.

The secret inner chambers of chief's and witch doctor's huts, with ancient charms and cursed masks of the ancestors passed from generation to generation, the deepest sealed portions of the imperial omyouji, the darkest black archives of the Vatican, the three hills of the mound of Merlin, the lost tomb of Arthur the once and future, every single temple in Mesoamerica, the delayed aftereffects of the Ghost Dance, the ten thousand undying terracotta warriors guarding the pyramid of Qin Shi Huang with its rivers of flowing quicksilver...

I am disappointed.
The last time EGS featured a Montage page, it prominently featured Jeremy.
Where is the Kitty?  Did someone Zappa the Kitty?

Elliot's lack of hare cut?  I think shorter hair would be better for Elliot, at least in the default male form.  It just seems like one more little detail that could help preserve the secret identity.  Elliot has short hair.  All these strange women at the Dunkle house have long hair.  The Unfortunately-Named-Cheerleader-Themed-Super-Heroine has long hair.  They obviously can not be the same people.  The giant cat is an American Shorthair?  It must be Elliot.

Ellen's variable hair color?  Can we get to the color Sketchbook pictures featuring Ellen's new look?  I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing what Dan is intending through Grayscale.

Diane's new haircut does not resemble the way Sarah wears her hair now.  But it does resemble the way Sarah wore her hair a long time ago.  Back when Sarah was one of the few people with whom Susan had any sort of human contact.

Panel Four must be the promotional shot for "Kevin & Mittens", the comedic paranormal soap opera of a teenage girl and the magic wand that tries to be mentor/father figure/best friend she doesn't want or need.

Sarah is getting in better shape.  It wasn't so long ago that the thought of running a mile in gym left her winded.  But now she made it across town to Mr Raven's house without breaking a sweat.

Gate A23?  Lots of airports have a gate A23.  So Edward could be at almost any commercial airport.  Now if he had been waiting for a "Code Spooky" flight, he should have been waiting at Gate 13.

10 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

When I saw Mr. Verres at an airport, my first thought was that Van had arranged somehow to get him and Noriko to head to the US to speak with Tedd.

I'm probably wrong, but thought it would be interesting.

But Magic thought it would be best if Tedd doesn't learn the truth about his family yet....

10 minutes ago, wanderingmagus said:

The secret inner chambers of chief's and witch doctor's huts, with ancient charms and cursed masks of the ancestors passed from generation to generation, the deepest sealed portions of the imperial omyouji, the darkest black archives of the Vatican, the three hills of the mound of Merlin, the lost tomb of Arthur the once and future, every single temple in Mesoamerica, the delayed aftereffects of the Ghost Dance, the ten thousand undying terracotta warriors guarding the pyramid of Qin Shi Huang with its rivers of flowing quicksilver...

No aftereffects of the Ghost Dance, that spell would have to be started anew.  Objects with a specific purpose may work, but ground that was magical may need to be re-spelled.  Since no human alive currently knows the old magic systems yet, they'll have to learn them from scratch.  No spells that alter worlds for a while, even for people with access to very clearly explained and detailed treastise on how an old magic system worked.

37 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Gate A23?  Lots of airports have a gate A23.  So Edward could be at almost any commercial airport.  Now if he had been waiting for a "Code Spooky" flight, he should have been waiting at Gate 13.

Or for the weirder side, he should have waited at Gate A113. :demonicduck: 

5 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Post-flight waiting area is possible.

Elliot: Are you flying? You should train fighting while flying!

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
9 hours ago, Stature said:

I: Only Nanase can punch a punching bag bare-handed. I think. :demonicduck: 

She can destroy a punching bag bare-handed.

So can Greg.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
11 hours ago, wanderingmagus said:

As far as powerful leaders being aberrations, I remember this being discussed before and I know it was mentioned that Sirleck was a rare type of aberration, not saying he was the only bodysnatcher, but not many. Also I think it was mentioned that aberrations weren't keen on being in the public spotlight as it would limit their ability to feed and such. If Vlad the Impaler was indeed an aberration, he'd probably also be an example to other aberrations that trying to use your power to rule would likely get a giant target painted on your back.

I don't think any vampire would risk going into politics. However, just being rich, say big shareholder of some big company ... there MIGHT be some power vacuum somewhere. It's also possible some of them lead mafia and similar organizations.

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Technically, yes. Practically, the amount of books which would be actually useful for this AND are not locked up somewhere under DGB's and similar organizations control is going to be low and people don't suddenly realize they should start studying them.

Similarly, immortals COULD start teaching old magic but they wouldn't have any REASON for that.

4 hours ago, wanderingmagus said:

the ten thousand undying terracotta warriors guarding the pyramid of Qin Shi Huang with its rivers of flowing quicksilver...

... yeah, those warriors might be operational now, but maybe they need to be powered by something like that dragon scale to start working after those centuries ...

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

That's what I figured as well.

I was also thinking that he is returning to Moperville, although possibly to DGB instead of home.

3 hours ago, Stature said:
4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Or for the weirder side, he should have waited at Gate A113. :demonicduck: 

There is also very known gate A20. It's on every Intel and AMD CPU. I don't think Edward could be waiting on it, though ...

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

You can see how similar their faces are, but also things like how Susan sits up straight, shoulders back, hands in her lap, while Diane is a little bit sprawled, slouching back in the seat, with her arm on the arm rest, not afraid to claim the space around her.

I think Susan is not leaning on the backrest either, while Diane obviously is.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sarah is getting in better shape.  It wasn't so long ago that the thought of running a mile in gym left her winded.  But now she made it across town to Mr Raven's house without breaking a sweat.

Raven's house is not THAT far away, she MIGHT used car, could walk instead of running and obviously had lot of time to catch breath while mustering the courage to knock/ring.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Or if he is really unlucky, the dreaded Gate 35X. :icon_eek:

I may be wrong.

(Wait, how could I be wrong?  I'm writing this on the intertubes.  And everything written on line is right.  Right?)

But back to my point.  If I am not mistaken, this montage is the first time we have seen Ashley and Dianne in the same comic.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I may be wrong.

(Wait, how could I be wrong?  I'm writing this on the intertubes.  And everything written on line is right.  Right?)

But back to my point.  If I am not mistaken, this montage is the first time we have seen Ashley and Dianne in the same comic.

Ehm.

https://egscomics.com/comic/2015-12-21

https://egscomics.com/comic/2016-02-19

In both cases, they are on same PANEL.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, Ashley and Diane have met each other, no need to start up any theories that they're the same person, we know what happened last time that happened. ;)