• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Monday July 30, 2018

https://egscomics.com/egsnp/gam-19

To be fair, those trees are totally blocking useful paths so cutting them down is community service. Also, wouldn't they regrow quickly anyway?

It's totally some sort of "cut with the air" martial arts move, and with special properties too. I mean, it's somehow only way how to get rid of those bushes: it's not possible to cut them with other cutting move, like Guillotine, X-Scissor or Fury Cutter ... or Air Cutter or Psycho Cut. It's not possible to burn them with Flamethrower or Fire Spin. It's not possible to Dig them out. It's not possible to uproot them telekinetically with Kinesis or Psychic. They are immune to Selfdestruct, Explosion and Erruption. Acid don't work on them. Very resistant bushes.

Speaking about which, yes, Gracemander wouldn't be able to get rid of them without the HM. Wait. Dan totally didn't mentioned that. Will that be point of next strip? Uhhh ... sorry for spoiler?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's totally some sort of "cut with the air" martial arts move

Someone on discord said that Cut is a physical contact move. So while it can still be a martial arts move, it's probably more in line with how Nanase destroyed the punching bag.

When used on pokemon, yes. We can still speculate that it somehow avoids touching the thorns.

Or ... wait. The description mentions some scythe.

Just now, hkmaly said:

For the majority of the games, yeah, but in the first generation game according to that page it's referred to as a "normal type" move with not much else to say what it is.

Fire Red/Leaf Green refers to it as a "basic attack that can be used to cut down thin trees and grass"

Some of the games listed also say "Scythe, claws, etc" which could imply that it's dependent on the type of pokemon, like if they already had that type of feature then teaching Cut is basically "you can use your scythe, claws, etc to take out that tree!" rather than "here's a scythe, claw, etc to take out that tree!"

For pokemon like Machop, definitely the "Nanase vs punching bag" method.

Maybe psychic pokemon could generate an energy blade, or just snap the tree with telekinesis.

We know water at high pressure can cut through pretty much anything, so ShellGrace would also be capable.

Burning isn't really cutting though, so while Gracemander is still getting rid of the tree, she's not using "Cut", which totally makes sense because she even states that she doesn't know how despite having claws that are probably capable of doing so. I wonder if her tail would work...maybe in her next metamorphose.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

For the majority of the games, yeah, but in the first generation game according to that page it's referred to as a "normal type" move with not much else to say what it is.

Fire Red/Leaf Green refers to it as a "basic attack that can be used to cut down thin trees and grass"

Some of the games listed also say "Scythe, claws, etc" which could imply that it's dependent on the type of pokemon, like if they already had that type of feature then teaching Cut is basically "you can use your scythe, claws, etc to take out that tree!" rather than "here's a scythe, claw, etc to take out that tree!"

For pokemon like Machop, definitely the "Nanase vs punching bag" method.

Machop can't learn Cut.

Maybe psychic pokemon could generate an energy blade, or just snap the tree with telekinesis.

Probably not, considering most psychic pokemons can't learn it either. Sure, Mew and Celebi can. Also Espeon.

Burning isn't really cutting though, so while Gracemander is still getting rid of the tree, she's not using "Cut",

She's not, however you can totally cut with a torch.

I wonder if her tail would work...maybe in her next metamorphose.

Not without move tutor ... or TM82.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Machop can't learn Cut.

Really? huh...one would figure with a name like that.....

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Probably not, considering most psychic pokemons can't learn it either. Sure, Mew and Celebi can. Also Espeon.

Must be more restrictive than I thought.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She's not, however you can totally cut with a torch.

True, but she'd have to mess with the oxygen/fuel mixture to get a proper cutting flame.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

No clue what those are, was mainly thinking about possible size increase making her tail heavier/harder to be able to whack stuff.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

No clue what those are, was mainly thinking about possible size increase making her tail heavier/harder to be able to whack stuff.

That's real world thinking.

Pokemons are weird creatures who can only know four attack moves from limited set. There are several attacks with tail, including Tail Whip, Poison Tail and Tailwind, but only one can be learn by Charmeleon - Iron Tail, by move tutor - and another by Charizard, Dragon Tail, by using TM82. For some weird reason, they are not capable to learn anything with their tail on their own.

Although to be fair, that's only attack moves. Most bird pokemons fly, but none can use the Fly attack move without TM/HM. Granted, the Fly attack move involves being able to carry player between cities, so it's like advanced flying. Especially for small pokemons like Pidgey.

23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Machop can't learn Cut.

23 hours ago, Scotty said:

Really? huh...one would figure with a name like that.....

Maybe the critter can hop at the speed of sound?

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Um, hkmaly?  Like Scotty, I have no idea what "move tutor" or "TM82" are....if you're going to keep referring to them, could you please explain what they are?

I didn't linked them? Hmmm ... ok I didn't. Both are obviously linked from Charizard page (ok I forgot to link that one as well): Move Tutor and TM82 Dragon Tail.

I must admit I don't know much about them either, as Move Tutor first appeared in Crystal and quite limited and TM82 is from Generation 5 ... so I meant it more like "Charmander nor its evolutions don't learn such moves normally". Or "for free" - both TMs and Move Tutors are limited opportunity options.

TL:DR version: TMs (Technical/Technique Machines) are items that are used to teach a Pokemon moves that they do not learn via leveling up, but not all Pokemon can learn every move out there (e.g. they can't usually learn the more powerful ones that are contrary to their elemental types). Move Tutors are NPCs who act as living TMs--they will teach a move to a Pokemon who is in your party.