• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday August 1, 2018

So that's what an Immortal being reborn looks like. Neat.

Presumably, an improper reset, their questions would just be left hanging, with little to no recollection to answer them.

6 minutes ago, chridd said:

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who thought that looked like Grace at first...

Panel 4 and 5 does look a lot like Grace. But that's because they both have the hair tassels that hang in front of their ears.

Panel 6 though looks more like Susan which makes more sense.

4 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Presumably, an improper reset, their questions would just be left hanging, with little to no recollection to answer them.

Yeah, panel 6 seems like all the memories that Pandora saved are starting to flood back.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that she could still be taking in the memories like she's reading from her previous self's diary, but it's probably more like someone who suffered from amnesia having their memories jogged and the emotional connection would return.

So while Zeus remembers Susan as "the girl Jerry vowed to help" and being compelled to continue whether he wanted to or not, Pandora will be like "this is who I was to these people, this is who I still am." At least for the most part.

58 minutes ago, chridd said:

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who thought that looked like Grace at first...

No, not just you. I was confused at first too.

1 hour ago, chridd said:

No. But I guess silhouettes can easily remind multiple people.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

Yeah, panel 6 seems like all the memories that Pandora saved are starting to flood back.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that she could still be taking in the memories like she's reading from her previous self's diary, but it's probably more like someone who suffered from amnesia having their memories jogged and the emotional connection would return.

So while Zeus remembers Susan as "the girl Jerry vowed to help" and being compelled to continue whether he wanted to or not, Pandora will be like "this is who I was to these people, this is who I still am." At least for the most part.

Hopefully. I would say that so far it wasn't exactly convincing, on the other hand, this is not the part of her memory she needs emotional connection to.

Now, commentary. How long do you think before Dan will make story longer than 310 pages? Three storylines? Four? :)

The one with Noriko is likely going to have similar number of plot threads. And, obviously, Lord Tedd one. If both happens in single storyline, it can reach 500.

The current (and allegedly final chapter) of CD Rudd's Sailorsun.org just posted its 612th comic. I'm pretty sure Dan will at least toy with the idea of breaking that record.

I've also noted that Dan hasn't given us any specific time for Pandora's rebirth, giving himself room to jump the story forward by any amount he wants. Of course, since time travel doesn't happen in EGS (in contrast to Sailorsun.org, I Dream of a Jeanie Bottle, I Dream of Jeannie, any version of Star Trek, Teen Titans Go to the Movies...) and never, ever, nope, not even a teeny bit, even if Dan has just placed this comic outside of time as we know it which is kind of time travel itself...

Well, except through flashbacks like, for instance, the entire Part One of Sister 3, we can be sure that the next story will begin some time after this one.

Maybe.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Hopefully. I would say that so far it wasn't exactly convincing, on the other hand, this is not the part of her memory she needs emotional connection to.

We (and Tedd) have Word of WoM that Pandora was successful in her attempt to retain emotional attachment to the people she cared about. I don't think the WoM is capable of lying, though it would be odd if it did, since lying would imply that it wanted Tedd to have the best chance to convince it not to chance, which would also imply that the WoM didn't want to change the system anymore but needed to follow protocol.

I mean, we do have evidence that the WoM knows more that it let on and is controlling how things play out by the fact that it didn't reveal Van's relation to Tedd until after Tedd and Arthur was sent back.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I mean, we do have evidence that the WoM knows more that it let on and is controlling how things play out by the fact that it didn't reveal Van's relation to Tedd until after Tedd and Arthur was sent back.

Van's relation to Tedd had no relevance to the decision to change Magic or not, so I could understand if WoM decided that revealing that would distract from the issue at hand.

14 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Van's relation to Tedd had no relevance to the decision to change Magic or not, so I could understand if WoM decided that revealing that would distract from the issue at hand.

But why continue to hide it from Tedd after the fact? What would be gained by only telling Van about their relation to each other, unless the WoM knows that there's something else that Tedd is destined to do.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

But why continue to hide it from Tedd after the fact? What would be gained by only telling Van about their relation to each other, unless the WoM knows that there's something else that Tedd is destined to do.

Tedd's guaranteed to be destined to do things, but what tickles my curiosity now is what will happen if and when Van tells his mom Noriko that he knows about Tedd. Obviously Noriko hadn't told Van about Tedd since Van didn't show any sign of recognizing "Tedd" after Arthur mentioned Tedd's name, which kind of implies she didn't tell Van about a lot of things that maybe she should have.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

what will happen if and when Van tells his mom Noriko that he knows about Tedd

Wildspec: Van isn't Noriko's. He's Edward's. Ed went to some international magic conference and one night, having imbibed overabundantly, fell madly in bed with a English wizard lass...

2 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Wildspec: Van isn't Noriko's. He's Edward's. Ed went to some international magic conference and one night, having imbibed overabundantly, fell madly in bed with a English wizard lass...

...who just happens to be a monster hunter who uses magical bladed weapons.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The current (and allegedly final chapter) of CD Rudd's Sailorsun.org just posted its 612th comic. I'm pretty sure Dan will at least toy with the idea of breaking that record.

I think Dan wouldn't WANT to break it. He just will.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I've also noted that Dan hasn't given us any specific time for Pandora's rebirth, giving himself room to jump the story forward by any amount he wants. Of course, since time travel doesn't happen in EGS (in contrast to Sailorsun.org, I Dream of a Jeanie Bottle, I Dream of Jeannie, any version of Star Trek, Teen Titans Go to the Movies...) and never, ever, nope, not even a teeny bit, even if Dan has just placed this comic outside of time as we know it which is kind of time travel itself...

Well, except through flashbacks like, for instance, the entire Part One of Sister 3, we can be sure that the next story will begin some time after this one.

Yes, time travel is impossible in EGS because Dan, unlike authors of all mentioned, doesn't want to force selective amnesia on his characters which makes them forget that time travel exist unless it's one of few episodes about it (seriously: in Star Trek, time travel is SO reliable and common only reason characters wouldn't need to fight with fleet of D'Deridexes all around the time is because everyone would be already assimilated for four billion years).

Meanwhile, comics showing out of order DID happened often, including most of "The Other Dunkel" happening AFTER the following storyline.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We (and Tedd) have Word of WoM that Pandora was successful in her attempt to retain emotional attachment to the people she cared about. I don't think the WoM is capable of lying, though it would be odd if it did, since lying would imply that it wanted Tedd to have the best chance to convince it not to chance, which would also imply that the WoM didn't want to change the system anymore but needed to follow protocol.

This kind of deception would mean that Will of Magic understand humans MUCH more that it claims to.

However ...

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
10 hours ago, partner555 said:

... so does this. Both "telling both" and "telling noone" would be easily explainable, but why telling JUST Van?

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tedd's guaranteed to be destined to do things, but what tickles my curiosity now is what will happen if and when Van tells his mom Noriko that he knows about Tedd. Obviously Noriko hadn't told Van about Tedd since Van didn't show any sign of recognizing "Tedd" after Arthur mentioned Tedd's name, which kind of implies she didn't tell Van about a lot of things that maybe she should have.

Given Van's age, it IS possible that she had told him enough ; she might skipped the name, he might forgot, or she was just postponing it because he never asked any related question so she though he's still too young for details ...

32 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
36 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

...who just happens to be a monster hunter who uses magical bladed weapons.

And is completely unrelated to Noriko's other child who also exist.

And then there's the bit about Dan specifically asking about Van's father in commentary. If Van's mother isn't Noriko, this would be quite big misdirection.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

... so does this. Both "telling both" and "telling noone" would be easily explainable, but why telling JUST Van?

My only guess is maybe it's aware of Voltaire's machinations and feels that Tedd's the most capable of stopping him? Maybe not telling him now is because the chance of success is too low, and revealing that Van is his half brother might weaken things further.

Right now Tedd has a couple things to focus on, learning how Magic has differed and strengthening bonds with his friends, he doesn't need to be searching for his mom and half brother.

12 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well, yeah, what other kind would Edward have a fling with?

Well, there's the hope that one day it'd be a specific Uryuom Personal Assistant. ;)

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:
53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

My only guess is maybe it's aware of Voltaire's machinations and feels that Tedd's the most capable of stopping him? Maybe not telling him now is because the chance of success is too low, and revealing that Van is his half brother might weaken things further.

Right now Tedd has a couple things to focus on, learning how Magic has differed and strengthening bonds with his friends, he doesn't need to be searching for his mom and half brother.

That doesn't really explain why to tell Van - and in any case, it means Will of Magic is sheming.

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:
45 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well, there's the hope that one day it'd be a specific Uryuom Personal Assistant. ;)

Technically, we can't be sure it didn't already happened.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

That doesn't really explain why to tell Van - and in any case, it means Will of Magic is sheming.

We don't know how much Van was told about Tedd beyond being a half brother. The WoM stated that it was going to tell Van the truth about his family, does that mean Van now knows that his Mom basically abandoned Tedd when she believed that Tedd wasn't capable of using magic? Or is there more to it than even we know? Something that goes back in Noriko's ancestry?

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We don't know how much Van was told about Tedd beyond being a half brother. The WoM stated that it was going to tell Van the truth about his family, does that mean Van now knows that his Mom basically abandoned Tedd when she believed that Tedd wasn't capable of using magic? Or is there more to it than even we know? Something that goes back in Noriko's ancestry?

I actually find more likely that WoM told him something about Noriko's or Edward ancestry and totally skipped the part of Mom abandoning Tedd or at least her reasons for that.

21 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Clearly nobody else.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So far it is only her who is interested in him. Once she finds out what Edward's specific tastes are, it's magical swords time.

Oh, she already knows. It's just that until the not-a-reset, she wasn't able to learn any magical swords spell due to being Uryuomn.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Come to think of it, given the rarity of Seers, could this be the first time ever that one mother has birthed two Seers? After all, the WoM had said that having even three active at once for a meeting was unprecedented (implying that the other thousand or so potential Seers were still dormant).

And thus, after 2 years, the arc is done. Onto more 2-year arcs!!!! *crazed laughter*:demonicduck: 

Who narrated those sentences in the first place anyway?

On 8/1/2018 at 0:38 PM, Scotty said:

Panel 4 and 5 does look a lot like Grace. But that's because they both have the hair tassels that hang in front of their ears.

Panel 6 though looks more like Susan which makes more sense.

I can oddly imagine what GraSusan* would look like. What is with the Grace fever lately?

Although, let us be honest. Could I clearly make out the lines? Nope. If it IS Susan, eh???

(* pre-Goonish Susan not included. Name pending.) 

1 hour ago, ijuin said:
5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Come to think of it, given the rarity of Seers, could this be the first time ever that one mother has birthed two Seers? After all, the WoM had said that having even three active at once for a meeting was unprecedented (implying that the other thousand or so potential Seers were still dormant).

Maybe not. Remember, Seers are GENETIC. It's not really that much random. On the other hand, even if siblings would have 100% chance of being all Seers if one is (and that's likely NOT true) the chance that the reset will happen in time multiple siblings would be alive and knowing about magic may not be that big.

So, just because three seers on meeting never happened before doesn't mean one mother didn't birthed two Seers before. Even not counting the possibility two siblings met on meeting (WoM didn't said THAT didn't happen), it could easily happen in way that either reset didn't happen at that time OR one of them didn't know about magic yet.

Also, that other thousand are Seers, not potential Seers. They are not awaken but WoM still counts them as Seers. But that's just terminology.