• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018

http://egscomics.com/egsnp/gam-26

THERE are their Graces. They weren't there two comics ago. Were they on previous comics just outside panel?

And of course they only care about play.

BTW interesting combination. Jessie released her Arbok long ago. But the other Grace looks like generation 7 pokemon James obtained in Alola region ...

MORE than good friends. The earlier deadpan makes me doubt, however.

Issss it me, or are Cobra-Grace's "s"'s inconssisssstent? :demonicduck:

It's too bad that this series isn't canon, otherwise I would add Diane -> Sarah to the big web of shipping.

Have they met in "real life" i.e. a canon strip? I don't think they have.

Just now, mlooney said:

Have they met in "real life" i.e. a canon strip? I don't think they have.

They haven't, basically only Sarah and Tedd have yet to meet Diane, but I imagine they will soon.

Also on the subject of shipping (this was posted in the lastest sketchbook reddit thread but it applies here too):

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also on the subject of shipping (this was posted in the lastest sketchbook reddit thread but it applies here too):

Hmmm ... at 1812, Royal Navy had over 500 warships ... meaning that it's still less than 1,186 ships Greek had at Troy (I suppose 186 of them didn't cared about Helen). Ok, first step Britain, next step Greek.

Greeks had more ships, but they were mostly galleys weighing under a hundred tonnes at most. Royal Navy had lots of large thousand-plus-tonne ships-of-the-line with a hundred or more cannons apiece, and probably each carrying as much crew as ten galleys.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Greeks had more ships, but they were mostly galleys weighing under a hundred tonnes at most. Royal Navy had lots of large thousand-plus-tonne ships-of-the-line with a hundred or more cannons apiece, and probably each carrying as much crew as ten galleys.

Hrm. The USS Nimitz has a displacement of over 100.000 tonnes. It would outmass the Greek fleet all on its own. Granted, "The face that launched a really big boat" doesn't sound quite as good as the bit with a thousand ships.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Hrm. The USS Nimitz has a displacement of over 100.000 tonnes. It would outmass the Greek fleet all on its own. Granted, "The face that launched a really big boat" doesn't sound quite as good as the bit with a thousand ships.

Also, it could easily sink whole Greek fleet. Without firing, just by hitting them. But we were talking just about number, because yes, the bit about thousand ships sounds better.

Not speaking about the fact that we already have several helicarriers in EGS fleet.

34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, it could easily sink whole Greek fleet. Without firing, just by hitting them.

And possibly without even noticing them. :icon_eek:

Okay, that would probably take some willful ignoring. But even sailing past them would be enough to give them a lot of trouble.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not speaking about the fact that we already have several helicarriers in EGS fleet.

How do you determine what kind of (ocean going) ship a (relation-) ship is?

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

How do you determine what kind of (ocean going) ship a (relation-) ship is?

You order the ships and try to map them on some range. Big range of relationships obviously requires quite extreme range in (ocean) ships.

Or you wait for someone to post this image:

latest?cb=20130702050020

A helicarrier in any realistic setting would pretty much have to run on nuclear power. Assuming a mass and flight deck area comparable to a Nimitz or Ford class aircraft carrier, and assuming a helicopter rotor area of around 10,000 m^2 (i.e. just under half as big as the flight deck), the rotor loading will be about ten tonnes per square meter, which requires somewhere between 0.4 and 0.8 kW/kg to hover (less power would be required with larger rotors sweeping a larger area). For a 100 kiloton carrier, that gives us about forty-plus gigawatts of power necessary . . . which is about fifty times the power output of a Ford-class carrier's reactors (700 megawatts unclassified power rating).

We could cut the power requirement eightfold if we double the diameter of the rotors (quadruple the area), and could probably cut it in half again if we lightened the carrier (remove that anti-torpedo armor, since enemy fire will probably be anti-air missiles instead, and use aluminum/titanium aircraft-style structural alloys instead of steel). Doing so would reduce the power requirement enough that it could be powered by onboard reactors of current-generation technology.

22 minutes ago, ijuin said:

A helicarrier in any realistic setting would pretty much have to run on nuclear power.

It can also run on annihilation, zero point energy, forced quantum singularity, infinity stone ...

27 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Doing so would reduce the power requirement enough that it could be powered by onboard reactors of current-generation technology.

... oh. Ok, if you talk only about current generation technology, then yes nuclear it is.