• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Monday August 20, 2018

23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/gam-28

... I don't think Dan nailed it. But hey, it's parody comics, and we have http://egscomics.com/egsnp/gam-02  ... I guess it can work.

Also, Nanase already has Ellen, now Justin has the opportunity.

I can do alternate reality, at the time that Grace was being created to counter the Damien threat, Magic decides to change, and it affects Grace in strange ways, creating a completely new species of creature that's both intelligent and in tune with the new magic system, only Graces can use this system though which leads to a shift in how people treat the Graces, after some discussion, and permission from the newly formed Council of Grace, a yearly tournament is created where "wild" Graces scatter around Moperville and "Trainers" try to "catch" them and work their way through the ranks to win the tournament.

The "Metamorphose" mechanic is based on the original shapeshifting ability chimera's have but also in tune with the new magic system to fit the theme.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I can do alternate reality, at the time that Grace was being created to counter the Damien threat, Magic decides to change, and it affects Grace in strange ways, creating a completely new species of creature that's both intelligent and in tune with the new magic system, only Graces can use this system though which leads to a shift in how people treat the Graces, after some discussion, and permission from the newly formed Council of Grace, a yearly tournament is created where "wild" Graces scatter around Moperville and "Trainers" try to "catch" them and work their way through the ranks to win the tournament.

The "Metamorphose" mechanic is based on the original shapeshifting ability chimera's have but also in tune with the new magic system to fit the theme.

While this might work and would explain how George didn't get so far with researching Graces, it would be weird he didn't mentioned that. In fact, the intro suggests Graces ALWAYS were there, just like pokemons. Or, well, at least few thousand years.

Meaning this is completely different world with alternates looking same just by chance, therefore no problem with Greg being younger.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

While this might work and would explain how George didn't get so far with researching Graces, it would be weird he didn't mentioned that. In fact, the intro suggests Graces ALWAYS were there, just like pokemons. Or, well, at least few thousand years.

Meaning this is completely different world with alternates looking same just by chance, therefore no problem with Greg being younger.

Well we also got a group of people who's job is to pretend to be bad guys to help make things interesting, so for all we know George is acting as well.

And, considering Greg being younger, the magic change could have affected more than just Grace, the change could have thrown the entire world for a loop.

49 minutes ago, Scotty said:
54 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well we also got a group of people who's job is to pretend to be bad guys to help make things interesting, so for all we know George is acting as well.

Good point.

49 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And, considering Greg being younger, the magic change could have affected more than just Grace, the change could have thrown the entire world for a loop.

You can also say that the magic change changed everyone's memory making them think Graces are around forever, but this kind of thinking is direct opposite of Occam's razor. (Which doesn't mean it won't ever happen. There are cases of this in Neverending Story, for example.)

Fifty more pixels?

What?  Am I made of pixels?

You say the NP needs fifty more pixels and I'm just supposed to give up fifty more pixels every time a new NP comes out?

Back in my day, we had to work for our pixels.  Why I remember one pixel I had to carry for an entire year.  Five miles to school, barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways...

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

You can also say that the magic change changed everyone's memory making them think Graces are around forever, but this kind of thinking is direct opposite of Occam's razor. (Which doesn't mean it won't ever happen. There are cases of this in Neverending Story, for example.)

We do have the "Oblivious Wand Waving" NP that show's reality can be drastically altered and can probably file that as an alternate universe as well. Huh...I just noticed that, while the title in the comic is "Oblivious Wand Waving" the dropdown menu below has it "Oblivious Hand-Waving" did Dan typo, or is he making a reference to a Jedi Mind Trick?

16 hours ago, Scotty said:

I can do alternate reality, at the time that Grace was being created to counter the Damien threat, Magic decides to change, and it affects Grace in strange ways [...]

I prefer the option Dan mentioned in one of the commentaries (I don't remember which one) that Grace-a-Monsters are actually all immortals; the "rules" Graces follow are this world's version of Immortal Laws. (Why all the immortals decided to use the same face and call themselves "Grace" Dan didn't explain, but I'm willing to go with it anyway.)

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

We do have the "Oblivious Wand Waving" NP that show's reality can be drastically altered and can probably file that as an alternate universe as well. Huh...I just noticed that, while the title in the comic is "Oblivious Wand Waving" the dropdown menu below has it "Oblivious Hand-Waving" did Dan typo, or is he making a reference to a Jedi Mind Trick?

I assume it was a typo... It's been that way for years - since the move to 910 CMX in 2009, I think. If I remember correctly I tried to mention it to Dan once years ago (along with some other errors introduced in the move), but he never replied (or fixed any of the problems I'd mentioned), so I don't know if he got my message.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We do have the "Oblivious Wand Waving" NP that show's reality can be drastically altered and can probably file that as an alternate universe as well.

Yes, also good example. There was also good story about this in Wotch, "Most powerful Juju", but seems it disappeared from archive.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:48 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why I remember one pixel I had to carry for an entire year.  Five miles to school, barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways...

Saw a cartoon recently with a schoolhouse built on a steep slope, with the door labeled "Entrance" at the top, and the door labeled "Exit Only" at the bottom.  The path leading to the school started out at a level halfway in between and then forked towards either door.  Dad is pointing to it and asking son, "So, now do you believe I had to walk to school uphill both ways?"

15 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
On 8/20/2018 at 1:48 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why I remember one pixel I had to carry for an entire year.  Five miles to school, barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways...

Saw a cartoon recently with a schoolhouse built on a steep slope, with the door labeled "Entrance" at the top, and the door labeled "Exit Only" at the bottom.  The path leading to the school started out at a level halfway in between and then forked towards either door.  Dad is pointing to it and asking son, "So, now do you believe I had to walk to school uphill both ways?"

I wonder how long till the simple fact you needed to WALK to the school will be hard to believe. You know, walk as opposed to just login into it.

I know that the town of Quartzsite, AZ - which has a highly seasonal population, the low being approximately 3,600 in summer - has a grade school that runs to 8th grade, but the nearest high school in the same state is something like 40 miles away. Lots of high-school-age kids get their education online.

My Dad's hometown had an actual one-room schoolhouse that handled everything through high school.  Well, I'm not sure if it usually did, but my dad kinda flew through the high school stuff.  I think I remember him telling me that once he and his brother and sister graduated, they wound up having too few students to keep the school going.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Lots of high-school-age kids get their education online.

Well, sure, but most are still going to school at the same time :)