• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story, Monday August 20, 2018

http://egscomics.com/comic/tlod-001

I find children making fun of adopted classmate is unpleasantly realistic. Wait, does Diane know she's adopted at this point? That "didn't have to" would point she did, but didn't she only learned it when she was eight?

Otherwise, we already see one big similarity between Diane and Susan. Not sure when Diane stopped thinking all boys are jerks. I mean, maybe when she started thinking about Elliot? She definitely didn't needed to stop just because she started "dating".

I gotta say, this is already hitting me in the feels. I know Dan said he wanted to do something separate from Sister 3 in feel and subject matter, but it does feel kinda like the "Legacy" chapter a bit in terms of letting us see who Diane was, and I'm assuming, how she'll end up being later on.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I find children making fun of adopted classmate is unpleasantly realistic. Wait, does Diane know she's adopted at this point? That "didn't have to" would point she did, but didn't she only learned it when she was eight?

She learned she was adopted when she was 6. Though she might be 8 in this comic.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:
12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She learned she was adopted when she was 6. Though she might be 8 in this comic.

Ok so I remembered that incorrectly.

Not sure how old she's here but I think this is very close to when she was starting school, and that's usually at age 6-7 isn't it?

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

find children making fun of adopted classmate is unpleasantly realistic.

I'm not sure that's the specific thing they're teasing her over. They specifically said "daddy's girl".

1 minute ago, partner555 said:
21 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

find children making fun of adopted classmate is unpleasantly realistic.

I'm not sure that's the specific thing they're teasing her over. They specifically said "daddy's girl".

She's aware that, being adopted, her parents didn't HAVE to care about her. Other children doesn't seem to make that connection and tease her over that.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure how old she's here but I think this is very close to when she was starting school, and that's usually at age 6-7 isn't it?

8 years old would put her in 2nd grade probably, I don't recall doing public speaking until 3rd grade myself though.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:
13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

8 years old would put her in 2nd grade probably, I don't recall doing public speaking until 3rd grade myself though.

Hmmm ... I just realized she's holding paper with notes (or maybe whole speech). That wouldn't help average first-grade child much, would it? Ok, she's probably older and either didn't expected this reaction or was brave enough to go with it anyway.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In general, how old are girls when they first realize that all boys are jerks?

Akiko thought boys were "weird and gross" at 8 years old, I figured she was a good comparison for how old Diane would be here.

At least there is a new arc. An arc in which am in awe with. To only wonder who was the other, as the mother could not be compared like no other.

On the subject of hairstyle: I better think she had that arch style in middle-high school.

8 hours ago, partner555 said:

Yeah, based on the dialog it's entirely possible the kids teasing her don't even know she's adopted (though in that case they're going to be wondering what she means by "they didn't have to" if they stop to think about it).

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In general, how old are girls when they first realize that all boys are jerks?

I haven't had much contact with children since I was a child myself, and my mental development was a bit unusual, but the impression I've got from both the media and lay-person-level presentations of scientific studies suggests that children usually start stereotyping "boys" and "girls" (and absorbing the existing cultural stereotypes about them) roughly in the 3-4 year old range.

I know I'm late to the party, but I just have to say:

Yes, more Diane please. Thank you, Dan.

As for kids being jerks to each other, well, that's been true for as long as there have been kids.

Well, now we have more factoids about Diane. First, she has two adoptive parents, one of them a man. Or at least she did when she made that report. I kind of pictured her with a single parent.

Second, we at last are clued in to why Diane was so comfortable with manipulating boys to get stuff from them.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Well, now we have more factoids about Diane. First, she has two adoptive parents, one of them a man. Or at least she did when she made that report. I kind of pictured her with a single parent.

As far as I know, it's pretty difficult for a single man or woman to adopt, and I'm guessing both Diane and Rhea would have been adopted as babies.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Second, we at last are clued in to why Diane was so comfortable with manipulating boys to get stuff from them.

Well we knew Diane shared Catalina's view on guys for a while, but now at least we know why.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:39 AM, Scotty said:

As far as I know, it's pretty difficult for a single man or woman to adopt, and I'm guessing both Diane and Rhea would have been adopted as babies.

It is harder, but far from impossible. There's also the very realistic possibility that Diane's adoptive parents are divorced now, something that would give Diane something in common with Tedd. Come to think of it, I don't think we know if Diane knows that Susan's parents are divorced.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Come to think of it, I don't think we know if Diane knows that Susan's parents are divorced.

Diane knows that Susan's dad is a "cheating cheater", so she can draw conclusions from that.

As for her parents, about the only evidence against them being divorced is the fact that they both apparently still have a say in how Diane gets disciplined. Yes it's possible for divorced parents to still be friends afterwards, but I would think that in that case would have more of a positive effect, like "yeah it didn't work out between them but I they clearly still love me." and she doesn't seem to be rebelling against them specifically in a "why should you care? you're too busy fighting with each other" way either so I don't see how her behaviour could be related to her adopted parents.

I theorized before that maybe she was mimicking Nanase, who we know she has a crush on, and we know Nanase used to date around, we know Nanase dated around because she was in denial about being gay though her reasons at the time was because she was trying to find the right person, but Diane might have seen it as Nanase being the Alpha, she could have whoever she wanted, and they would do things for her and Diane wanted to be like that. Her wanting Nanase to join her group* could be seen as not only wanting to join forces, but so that Diane could be closer to Nanase.

*I'm aware that the Diane's dialog does not suggest anything of the sort, but some of us on Discord believe that Dan was a bit to aggressive with Diane's character in the same way he was with Susan being a straw character initially, and eased back on her, as evidenced by Diane's apparent treatment of Rhoda when we first saw them, and then when we next saw them, which in comic time was maybe a week tops between appearances but was 2 and a half years IRL between comics. But everything since then, especially from Family Tree onwards, has Diane showing to think very highly of Nanase and even fangirling sometimes. Heck even in the commentary of the Family Tree page I linked Dan states that Diane's reaction to being called "Diane the Pest" by Nanase was intended to foreshadow Diane's opinion of Nanase.