• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Monday August 27, 2018

Well, "Deadbeat Dad." Gee, I wonder if that's going to be another problem for Diane, what with being at the school where he's been teaching since before she was born?

Also, from the way those guys who walked right past Diane without recognizing her were talking about her, Diane has developed a reputation at the school as a that word that starts with an "S" and ends with a "T". What a surprise, that. Gee, you think one or two or two dozen of the boys Diane led on and dumped might have gotten a little ego-enhancing revenge by saying she she came across with what she never did?

What's next on Diane's agenda? I'd be willing to wager a cookie or two that Noah is suddenly going to be very interested in Diane and show it before the school day is out. Maybe even before the first class.

Speaking of classes, is Diane taking any classes from Mr. Raven this year?

Regardless if she meant it as a way to camouflage herself, it definitely works.

Hmmm ... so she doesn't know why she decided to change her hair herself. Raptor's wings indeed. Susan wouldn't get haircut without logical reason ... well ... adequate logical.

Also, does this mean she didn't know how others see her? I find that hard to believe. Never really though about it, that is easier to believe.

Oh. And "half the school". Let me guess: Male half?

13 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Also, from the way those guys who walked right past Diane without recognizing her were talking about her, Diane has developed a reputation at the school as a that word that starts with an "S" and ends with a "T". What a surprise, that. Gee, you think one or two or two dozen of the boys Diane led on and dumped might have gotten a little ego-enhancing revenge by saying she she came across with what she never did?

To be fair, they were not specific about how far she supposedly went, and we don't know how far she really went. Getting that reputation couldn't be that hard. In fact, what they said could easily work for Nanase as well, and we know for sure she didn't get far AND noone would dare to lie about her ... BUT she dated so many boys it was believable she run out of them when she started dating Ellen.

What's next on Diane's agenda? I'd be willing to wager a cookie or two that Noah is suddenly going to be very interested in Diane and show it before the school day is out. Maybe even before the first class.

.... aaaaand Diane is totally going to assume he's hitting on her.

Well, "Deadbeat Dad." Gee, I wonder if that's going to be another problem for Diane, what with being at the school where he's been teaching since before she was born?

To be fair, he wouldn't be only teacher like that. I'm sure I've met several like that myself. Sure, they were not as old as Adrian Raven, but they started teaching at that school soon after finishing their own education, so ...

Speaking of classes, is Diane taking any classes from Mr. Raven this year?

I don't think Adrian Raven would have problem staying professional in class. Meaning, not even acknowledging their relationship.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Oh. And "half the school". Let me guess: Male half?

I suspect these two feel no need to make explicit that that's the denominator.

So the previous hairstyle was TOO iconic.

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Adrian Raven would have problem staying professional in class. Meaning, not even acknowledging their relationship.

Sometimes, a student should not be enrolled in their relative's class. It is a double habit these days.

Oh please, do not give us the retroactive. :demonicduck:

24 minutes ago, partner555 said:

You know, I never thought Diane would have that kind of negative reputation, but it makes so much sense in hindsight that she'd have one.

I mean, think of what she's done before.

Maybe after all that crap that's happened to her, she doesn't feel comfortable being that way anymore.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane doesn't know yet that Adrian believed himself to be sterile at the time that she was conceived, but it's definitely one of the things that he needs to tell her when they do speak of it. As far as she knows currently, he had simply abdicated his paternal role.

12 minutes ago, ijuin said:
2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane doesn't know yet that Adrian believed himself to be sterile at the time that she was conceived, but it's definitely one of the things that he needs to tell her when they do speak of it. As far as she knows currently, he had simply abdicated his paternal role.

She saw how surprised Adrian was and Jerry told her it's likely Adrian didn't even known about ever having kids. So, unlikely for her to reach that conclusion. Also, again as Jerry pointed out, even normal mortal men can easily have children without knowing it ... it's mother who needs to abdicate her parental role explicitly.

... of course, he should tell her that anyway, but it would be more like confirmation.

Ok, calling him "deadbeat" is uncool, she's making the assumption that he was aware that he'd fathered a child when that wasn't the case. She only just walked onto the scene when Pandore revealed that Diane was Adrian's daughter, Diane likely didn't catch the part where Pandora said she had been perpetuating a lie her past self told her and had Adrian convinced he couldn't have children. Also, I'm pretty sure fathers can only be considered deadbeats if they were both aware of having got a woman pregnant and refusing to support the mother and child in any way. The woman Adrian was with never came back to him either during pregnancy, or after Diane's birth, to ask for child support or anything. Of course if she had, it probably would have been messy because he would have denied it back then, and then we could consider him a deadbeat.

Just now, hkmaly said:

To be fair, he wouldn't be only teacher like that. I'm sure I've met several like that myself. Sure, they were not as old as Adrian Raven, but they started teaching at that school soon after finishing their own education, so ...

when I was in High School, I had 2 teachers that my dad had in High School, they started their teaching career in the mid-late 1960's and retired at the same school in the mid 90's.

Just now, hkmaly said:

She saw how surprised Adrian was and Jerry told her it's likely Adrian didn't even known about ever having kids. So, unlikely for her to reach that conclusion. Also, again as Jerry pointed out, even normal mortal men can easily have children without knowing it ... it's mother who needs to abdicate her parental role explicitly.

... of course, he should tell her that anyway, but it would be more like confirmation.

Back on that subject, yeah Zeus told Diane that Adrian likely wouldn't have known he had kids, but Zeus also believed that both Diane and Susan were distantly related to Adrian and Pandora, so at the time, Diane might have been like "ok so a couple centuries ago he got a woman pregnant that was my great great great grandmother, I don't know what their relationship would have been like back that but it doesn't really affect why I was put up for adoption." but then finding out Adrian's her biological father turned it into "he got my mom pregnant and she had to put me up for adoption because of it."

In Susan's case, yeah, finding out she is a descendant of an Immortal and fighting vampires alongside her great whatever Grandfather was a shock, it didn't do anything to address her identity or why her father was a cheater. Also it's apparent that Susan and Diane did not discuss Friday night at all when they went to the movies, cus Susan didn't pass on that extra info she got from Adrian about the circumstances of his very breif relationship with Diane's mother.

I do find it interesting how people aren't recognizing Diane and talking about her without realizing she's right there, even though she's already admitting to herself that she doesn't want to keep going the way she had been, hearing how others saw her while she was that way would still be a kick in the gut confirmation.

I'm a little surprised (and feel a bit sorry for her) that Diane apparently never suspected she had that sort of reputation. Really, given the way she and her friends "dated" so many boys (particularly with it being pretty clear Diane and Lucy at least never cared for any of them) it was almost inevitable that they'd all be seen this way (Rhoda's shyness and sweetness might have protected her somewhat) with Diane being the focus of that perception thanks both to being the leader of the group and blonde (her hair color is also probably where the "bimbo" perception comes from). I wonder if she overlooked this possibility because she was fairly young when she started toying with boys and didn't think things through and/or know better, or if she was just arrogant enough to think she'd never be looked down on that way.

(I had previously assumed she knew how her group looked to others, particularly boys, and just didn't care, but her reaction in this strip suggests otherwise.)

...At any rate, her expression in panel four is cute. Apparently that a drastic hair-cut (and outfit change) might lead to those who don't know her well not recognizing her was something else that didn't occur to her (even after Rhoda alluded to that idea).

@ChronosCat I also assumed Diane didn’t care about her reputation. I would really like it if it ended up being more like (but not identical to) the Melissa situation. Where some some guys who she played around told the truth. But the truth got exaggerated as rumors spread. And Diane ends up caring not about her reputation perse, but in her quest to discover the truth, ends up caring about the feelings of the people she jerked around along the way. At least I HOPE that’s what Dan is going for. 

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Back on that subject, yeah Zeus told Diane that Adrian likely wouldn't have known he had kids, but Zeus also believed that both Diane and Susan were distantly related to Adrian and Pandora, so at the time, Diane might have been like "ok so a couple centuries ago he got a woman pregnant that was my great great great grandmother, I don't know what their relationship would have been like back that but it doesn't really affect why I was put up for adoption." but then finding out Adrian's her biological father turned it into "he got my mom pregnant and she had to put me up for adoption because of it."

... thinking about it, she can call him deadbeat not because she doesn't take into account he didn't know about her, but simply because she doesn't consider it good enough excuse. Like, not knowing about her IS mitigating factor, but doesn't mean he's not guilty.

Also it's apparent that Susan and Diane did not discuss Friday night at all when they went to the movies, cus Susan didn't pass on that extra info she got from Adrian about the circumstances of his very breif relationship with Diane's mother.

Of course she didn't. The whole point of that movie night was no obligation to talk to anyone about anything.

I do find it interesting how people aren't recognizing Diane and talking about her without realizing she's right there, even though she's already admitting to herself that she doesn't want to keep going the way she had been, hearing how others saw her while she was that way would still be a kick in the gut confirmation.

I'm still not sure what exactly surprised her (besides not being recognized).

6 hours ago, animalia said:

I also assumed Diane didn’t care about her reputation.

Or, like, being ok with having such reputation. It's better than being nerd, isn't it? :)

6 hours ago, animalia said:

but in her quest to discover the truth, ends up caring about the feelings of the people she jerked around along the way. At least I HOPE that’s what Dan is going for. 

.... uuuuhhhh ... if these two are typical example, I don't think there were any hurt feelings. Like, they got what they expected.

While I consider important that Diane stops behaving like that and starts searching for more meaningful relationship, I don't think she needs to amend anything, apologize or so. Not to these two. Maybe if she will remember someone who really though she means it ...

On behalf of all men everywhere, I would like to apologize...

I would like to...

But I can't.

As far as I can tell, this piece of filth exists in every human male brain.
Most of us eventually learn to control it, somewhat.
But it is always there. 

So apologizing for this part of male behavior in general is like Cortez apologizing for invading Mexico the first time he entered Tenochtitlan.  You just know he's not done yet.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... thinking about it, she can call him deadbeat not because she doesn't take into account he didn't know about her, but simply because she doesn't consider it good enough excuse. Like, not knowing about her IS mitigating factor, but doesn't mean he's not guilty.

Of course she didn't. The whole point of that movie night was no obligation to talk to anyone about anything.

Or, like, being ok with having such reputation. It's better than being nerd, isn't it? :)

.... uuuuhhhh ... if these two are typical example, I don't think there were any hurt feelings. Like, they got what they expected.

While I consider important that Diane stops behaving like that and starts searching for more meaningful relationship, I don't think she needs to amend anything, apologize or so. Not to these two. Maybe if she will remember someone who really though she means it ...

I was thinking that maybe these two actually did NOT go out with Diane and are just SAYING they did

AKA part of the expanded rumor mill. That’s what I am HOPING for. It’s not what I am expecting. 

I thought I was clear about that but I guess I wasn’t.

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

On behalf of all men everywhere, I would like to apologize...

I would like to...

But I can't.

As far as I can tell, this piece of filth exists in every human male brain.
Most of us eventually learn to control it, somewhat.
But it is always there. 

So apologizing for this part of male behavior in general is like Cortez apologizing for invading Mexico the first time he entered Tenochtitlan.  You just know he's not done yet.

You mean lying?

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

(her hair color is also probably where the "bimbo" perception comes from)

Well it's possible Adrian wasn't the only one given the Valley Girl Bimbo routine.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I dunno, Adrian said that they (Diane's mother and himself) talked about it, "we agreed it was a one time...", then her not coming back to him at any point after puts the responsibility on her rather that Adrian. Of course there is the question of why she didn't go back to him when she realized she was pregnant, did Adrian mention before they did the deed that there'd be zero chance she could get pregnant? She must have believed him or else she'd have plenty of reason to go after him and even get police involved, which would lead me to think that maybe she knew about his true nature as an Elf.

If she had been with someone else shortly after being Adrian, she might also just figure it was that person being the father instead of Adrian, same if she had been with someone before Adrian. It's also quite possible that she hid the whole thing from everyone, gave birth on her own, and then left the baby on a church doorstep.

I don't that doing the act itself is enough to make Adrian guilty of being a deadbeat father, for one, there was consent, and two she withheld knowledge of pregnancy and putting the baby up for adoption. If Adrian had raped her, then of course he'd be in BIIIIIIIIIG trouble with the law, but I doubt this is the case

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Certainly, she would have broken the reason Diane agreed to meeting with her again.

She probably didn't realize what the true effect her routine was having on the other students, they probably behaved a certain way whenever they were with her, but now she's hearing what they're really saying about her that she never heard before.

I imagine she's feeling like she'd be better off with people thinking she was a nerd right now.

I don't think she needs to amend anything, apologize or so. Not to these two. Maybe if she will remember someone who really though she means it ...

Like Justin? Of course she never dated him for obvious reason, but she did treat him poorly in the past and will certainly need to make amends somehow, though I think Justin will end up forgiving her, he kinda already made a step in that direction by giving Diane some advice going into her first meeting with Susan.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

(her hair color is also probably where the "bimbo" perception comes from)

Well it's possible Adrian wasn't the only one given the Valley Girl Bimbo routine.

Definitely not. Such expert performance speaks about practice.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I dunno, Adrian said that they (Diane's mother and himself) talked about it, "we agreed it was a one time...", then her not coming back to him at any point after puts the responsibility on her rather that Adrian. Of course there is the question of why she didn't go back to him when she realized she was pregnant, did Adrian mention before they did the deed that there'd be zero chance she could get pregnant? She must have believed him or else she'd have plenty of reason to go after him and even get police involved, which would lead me to think that maybe she knew about his true nature as an Elf.

If she had been with someone else shortly after being Adrian, she might also just figure it was that person being the father instead of Adrian, same if she had been with someone before Adrian. It's also quite possible that she hid the whole thing from everyone, gave birth on her own, and then left the baby on a church doorstep.

I don't that doing the act itself is enough to make Adrian guilty of being a deadbeat father, for one, there was consent, and two she withheld knowledge of pregnancy and putting the baby up for adoption. If Adrian had raped her, then of course he'd be in BIIIIIIIIIG trouble with the law, but I doubt this is the case

He's not guilty in eyes of law, but Diane's opinion would be different. I mean, obviously is different.

Personally, I think the fault is Pandora's previous incarnation. I mean, if she didn't lied to herself, she wouldn't have problem finding all her descendants even if the mothers would be actively hiding them from Adrian.

PS: Church doorstep? Isn't it little cliche? She might be put to adoption without the mother seeking this level of anonymity. Maybe even Diane's adoptive parents know her identity.

I imagine she's feeling like she'd be better off with people thinking she was a nerd right now.

I don't think so. But we will see next page.

I don't think she needs to amend anything, apologize or so. Not to these two. Maybe if she will remember someone who really though she means it ...

Like Justin? Of course she never dated him for obvious reason, but she did treat him poorly in the past and will certainly need to make amends somehow, though I think Justin will end up forgiving her, he kinda already made a step in that direction by giving Diane some advice going into her first meeting with Susan.

.... uuuhhh ... well maybe she should apologize to Justin ... or to Charlotte ... but that's not really related to her current situation. And, in fact, real people (as opposed to movie characters) rarely apologize to everyone they should apologize to.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Remember what almost happened to Gerald when he was mean to Tedd and Grace? Note that Nanase, Ellen, and Grace all go to Moperville South. Plus, Lucy looks like she could mop the floor with those two trash-talking bozos by herself. And then there's Noah...

What almost happened? You think Grace would shred him to pieces? ... on second though, if he would actually hurt Tedd she probably would. But otherwise, I'm not sure how mean would he need to be to actually get physically hurt if he kept just talking, the stupidity of doing that notwithstanding.

(However, I wonder if Ellen would remember she can FV5 him.)

But, like, I don't think anyone would feel the need to defend Diane's honor. Especially considering they didn't say anything which wouldn't be true in a sense.

In fact, maybe if Diane was somehow oblivious to her reputation, Lucy wasn't and wouldn't be surprised they talk like this about them.

Nanase CERTAINLY wouldn't be surprised. She may be too polite to say it this directly herself, but ...

... Susan probably wouldn't. (In fact, she MIGHT've been saying that to Nanase EXACTLY because Nanase was dating half of school.)

Wait. Nanase and Diane are in same school. How often they dated same people and what order was it in? I don't think Diane dated Gary, and Gerald probably wouldn't consider dating Diane, but realistically, it IS likely there was some overlap.

Also, while Diane herself might like Nanase for other reasons, I imagine that the reasons she told Lucy for inviting Nanase included review of her past performance in number of boys dated.

18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wait. Nanase and Diane are in same school. How often they dated same people and what order was it in? I don't think Diane dated Gary, and Gerald probably wouldn't consider dating Diane, but realistically, it IS likely there was some overlap.

Well, what I actually had in mind was a guy or two either getting physical or bringing Diane to tears. I didn't think about Diane actually dating some of the same guys Nanase did. Now that you brought up that idea, though, I can see Diane trying to date a boy Nanase dated to see if she could find out more about Nanase. But considering how little Diane really knew about Nanase until very recently, I don't think Diane found out a lot if she did date one of Diane's exes.

I have my doubts Gerald will ever return to the story, but if he does, I think it would be interesting to see him threatening someone giving Diane a hard time. Plus, he might see this as an opening to be the first and only guy at Moperville South to actually go steady with Diane. 

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, what I actually had in mind was a guy or two either getting physical or bringing Diane to tears.

... I imagine Lucy IS handling the cases when guys get physical to anyone in the group, yes. Maybe even the tears - like, I don't think Diane shown any yet, but Rhoda ...

Now that you brought up that idea, though, I can see Diane trying to date a boy Nanase dated to see if she could find out more about Diane. But considering how little Diane really knew about Nanase until very recently, I don't think Diane found out a lot if she did date one of Diane's exes.

To be fair, I don't think Nanase's exes knew that much about her to start with. Most of them, I mean. She dated Elliot longer than most.

I have my doubts Gerald will ever return to the story, but if he does, I think it would be interesting to see him threatening someone giving Diane a hard time.

Oh. That's very believable. I mean, he IS just looking for excuse.

Plus, he might see this as an opening to be the first and only guy at Moperville South to actually go steady with Diane. 

.... hmmm .... actually, that might work. Diane's chances to date Elliot is minimal, but it IS possible she would see Gerald as similar kind of guy if she wouldn't look too closely ... and while Gerald is unlikely to buy things to her, when she tells him she's looking for something else now he might listen.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

He's not guilty in eyes of law, but Diane's opinion would be different. I mean, obviously is different.

It's possible that she thinks that Adrian should have been able to tell she was related to him in the several years he taught her, he only got a sense of familiarity from Susan when they first met though mostly due to her being awakened.

This would very well be a case of someone with a lot of emotions to sort through and currently the easiest to express, like anger, are running free even though the situation is a lot more complex.

Personally, I think the fault is Pandora's previous incarnation. I mean, if she didn't lied to herself, she wouldn't have problem finding all her descendants even if the mothers would be actively hiding them from Adrian.

Certainly, but Pandora wasn't the only one to pass on that lie, of course Zeus stated "most of us" rather than "all Immortals" so it could be assumed that some Immortals still kept that knowledge, but maybe they were more secretive about it, or just managed to keep themselves from getting romantically involved with humans. One would figure that if you didn't want to have descendants to worry about, lying about Elves not being able to have kids is probably the worst thing you could do because it would make you more likely to get involved with a human, Adrian wouldn't have used protection (at least with Diane's mother, I wouldn't know if condoms or anything like that would have existed when he was with Susan's ancestor) because he assumed he was sterile and so they were needed.

PS: Church doorstep? Isn't it little cliche? She might be put to adoption without the mother seeking this level of anonymity. Maybe even Diane's adoptive parents know her identity.

I know, I was intentionally being cliche there, also I think now that Diane's 18, she has the right to ask about her birth mother. If her adopted parents know her real mom, refusal to tell Diane, even if they had promised to never tell for good reasons, might be harmful to Diane.

.... uuuhhh ... well maybe she should apologize to Justin ... or to Charlotte ... but that's not really related to her current situation. And, in fact, real people (as opposed to movie characters) rarely apologize to everyone they should apologize to.

I was speaking in general about everyone that her behaviour had affected, and she did apologize to Charlotte, at least the tone of apology was there and Charlotte accepted it.

Diane might have snagged some of Nanase's exes while they were on the rebound.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

But, like, I don't think anyone would feel the need to defend Diane’s honor. Especially considering they didn't say anything which wouldn't be true in a sense.

Ummm. Last I checked dating a lot of people, even for stuff, isn’t the same as having sex with them, so yeah they are lieing. 

That being said given the way that people work (i.e. jumping to conclusions) you shouldn’t be surprised when doing the first, leads to a reputation for doing the second. (Hence why I am surprised that Diane cared about her reputation.) Still it does not change the fact that the two ARE NOT the same, and that they are therefore spreading a lie.

This isn’t here to point out value judgments one way or the other. Simply here in clarification of details and defense of accuracy.

I feel it is important to have these details down pat, because when you work with different people who all have their own ideals and values they will INEVITABLY make judgments based of off them.

This is human nature the trick isn’t to not make judgments (for example I doubt anyone would disagree that on the judgment “murder is bad” although we might, and do, disagree on what murder exactly is.) but to let judgments be mutable based on new information, and to question weather or not we let our prexisting biases impact our judgments.

This brings me to WHY these details are so important to be portrayed accurately. EVERYTHING begins on a foundation of the truth. We cannot have a dialogue based on lies, or inaccuracies. And while these details might not matter to me, or to you. (I don’t care about these details as how it affects how see Diane as a person,  I care deeply in that I care about THE TRUTH.) The fact is there is probably SOMEONE out there to whom they matter. 

Did I ramble to much? I hope I got everything in ok. Before I ended up oversimplifing my posts, and it ended up with my point not coming across clearly. Here I tried to go into more detail, yet I am not sure any better

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Depending on what time frame you assume for EGS, there have been Safe Haven Laws in effect in Illinois for a number of years now, so the church doorstep is no longer necessary nor wise.  A response to infanticides and cases of babies found abandoned (often already dead when found), these laws protect a mother from prosecution if she brings her infant, any time from just born to 30 days old, to any police station, fire station, or medical facility.  If the mother changes her mind within 60 days, she can reclaim them; otherwise parental rights are terminated and the baby is free to be adopted.  Thousands of babies' lives have been saved by these laws, which exist in every state in the country now.

(One state ran into a bit of trouble when they failed to specify an age limit, and wound up with teenagers being brought in to be relinquished....)