• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Monday August 27, 2018

24 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

One state ran into a bit of trouble when they failed to specify an age limit, and wound up with teenagers being brought in to be relinquished....

I'm glad my parents didn't know about that option.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

(One state ran into a bit of trouble when they failed to specify an age limit, and wound up with teenagers being brought in to be relinquished....)

That got fixed PDQ, but still there were - if I recall correctly - twenty-some kids legally abandoned that could not have been legally abandoned after the fix took effect. The oldest being just weeks shy of adulthood.

Note: technically, when my dad died I should have become a ward of the state. But that probably would have involved yanking me out of college and shipping me 2/3 of the way across the country to my mother's custody, whereas if they just ignored the matter for a month and a half all would be good...

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

He's not guilty in eyes of law, but Diane's opinion would be different. I mean, obviously is different.

It's possible that she thinks that Adrian should have been able to tell she was related to him in the several years he taught her, he only got a sense of familiarity from Susan when they first met though mostly due to her being awakened.

This would very well be a case of someone with a lot of emotions to sort through and currently the easiest to express, like anger, are running free even though the situation is a lot more complex.

Yes ; expecting he would recognize her would be illogical but Diane is not running on logic now.

Personally, I think the fault is Pandora's previous incarnation. I mean, if she didn't lied to herself, she wouldn't have problem finding all her descendants even if the mothers would be actively hiding them from Adrian.

Certainly, but Pandora wasn't the only one to pass on that lie, of course Zeus stated "most of us" rather than "all Immortals" so it could be assumed that some Immortals still kept that knowledge, but maybe they were more secretive about it, or just managed to keep themselves from getting romantically involved with humans. One would figure that if you didn't want to have descendants to worry about, lying about Elves not being able to have kids is probably the worst thing you could do because it would make you more likely to get involved with a human, Adrian wouldn't have used protection (at least with Diane's mother, I wouldn't know if condoms or anything like that would have existed when he was with Susan's ancestor) because he assumed he was sterile and so they were needed.

Well ... attempts to birth control seem to be older than written language, with some being documented in papyrus from 1850 BC, but likely ineffective and possibly dangerous ... which might mean that immortals didn't seen them as good idea back when they started to lie about it.

Still doesn't seem like good idea.

PS: Church doorstep? Isn't it little cliche? She might be put to adoption without the mother seeking this level of anonymity. Maybe even Diane's adoptive parents know her identity.

I know, I was intentionally being cliche there, also I think now that Diane's 18, she has the right to ask about her birth mother. If her adopted parents know her real mom, refusal to tell Diane, even if they had promised to never tell for good reasons, might be harmful to Diane.

Yes. Also ineffective, as both Mr. Verres and Adrian Raven would certainly be able to find her anyway.

5 hours ago, animalia said:

But, like, I don't think anyone would feel the need to defend Diane’s honor. Especially considering they didn't say anything which wouldn't be true in a sense.

Ummm. Last I checked dating a lot of people, even for stuff, isn’t the same as having sex with them, so yeah they are lieing. 

That being said given the way that people work (i.e. jumping to conclusions) you shouldn’t be surprised when doing the first, leads to a reputation for doing the second. (Hence why I am surprised that Diane cared about her reputation.) Still it does not change the fact that the two ARE NOT the same, and that they are therefore spreading a lie.

My point was that they did NOT said they had sex with her. You can say they were implying it, but they didn't said it directly.

(Also, technically, we don't know if she had sex with anyone, but I agree that it's unlikely ; even if she had sex with someone, it certainly wasn't with all or most of her dates.)

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:
19 hours ago, Scotty said:

If she had been with someone else shortly after being Adrian, she might also just figure it was that person being the father instead of Adrian, same if she had been with someone before Adrian. It's also quite possible that she hid the whole thing from everyone, gave birth on her own, and then left the baby on a church doorstep.

Depending on what time frame you assume for EGS, there have been Safe Haven Laws in effect in Illinois for a number of years now, so the church doorstep is no longer necessary nor wise.  A response to infanticides and cases of babies found abandoned (often already dead when found), these laws protect a mother from prosecution if she brings her infant, any time from just born to 30 days old, to any police station, fire station, or medical facility.  If the mother changes her mind within 60 days, she can reclaim them; otherwise parental rights are terminated and the baby is free to be adopted.  Thousands of babies' lives have been saved by these laws, which exist in every state in the country now.

I wonder how many of those "left on church doorstep" cases were actually in danger in past ; I can imagine both "yeah I totally found this baby on doorstep .... no it wasn't still in arms of his mother why do you ask" and ... well ... foundling wheels already existed in 12th century, and some rituals can be timed to seconds, so there might be times when you can safely leave the baby on doorsteps knowing for sure someone will notice it in next minute.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

whereas if they just ignored the matter for a month and a half all would be good...

... isn't month and a half delay considered "swift reaction" in government? You know, "before we finished the basic paperwork the problem disappeared" (said in the same voice as that joke about zookeeper who opened the cage and zoom - the tortoises were gone).

32 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

My point was that they did NOT said they had sex with her. You can say they were implying it, but they didn't said it directly.

Um, yes he did; he said he'd "hit that."

26 minutes ago, WR...S said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Um, yes he did; he said he'd "hit that."

... really? ... I mean, that's really the only meaning? ... ok, that undermines my point ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

... really? ... I mean, that's really the only meaning? ... ok, that undermines my point ...

Another term is "tap that" but it pretty much means the same in the context of guys running all the bases with a girl.

Another way to look at this is, Diane had thought she was "playing" with boys by getting them do give her attention and buy her stuff, but she's hearing them acting like they've been the one "playing" with her.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Another way to look at this is, Diane had thought she was "playing" with boys by getting them do give her attention and buy her stuff, but she's hearing them acting like they've been the one "playing" with her.

... which is not that much surprising given how important is ego for boys but it MIGHT be something which surprise Diane ...