• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Wednesday September 5, 2018

With a pen in a sore hand, I can imagine young Diane finding the old copy of Robert's Rules in the school library and writing down the plan for how she and Lucy and their friends would deal with boys.

Resolved, the bylaws for the Girls Association of the D E Shive Memorial Junior High School shall be as follows:

1.  Boys are Gross
    1a.  Unless we find a boy we like, in which case

2.  Boys are Gross
    2a.  Except for the boys we like
    2b.  Unless a boy we like annoys us, in which case

3.  Boys are Gross

...so all three of the not!plastics are into at least one girl?

And I'd thought at first that Rhoda was hiding her relationship with Cat from Lucy, but for the longest time from Diane when her backstory came to light, but now I'm thinking again it might be Lucy.

Golly me, I got the warm feeling in my tum-tum.

Also, Lucy... Diane... Really? Your fantasies did not get past me... sadly... But still... Really? *smirk*

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

From the pain-lines coming from Diane's right hand in the first panel, I'd say Diane recently delivered a punch something like this one.

She did the punchies then; she would have done the punchies in this one.

Now I'm feeling bad about Lucy. She was once just like Rhoda, insecure about herself and how people treated her, then Diane came in and helped boost her confidence.

Now Diane's behaving like Lucy once did and that's whats got Lucy mad, she's seeing the person who helped her feel better about herself crumble in front of her.

Yay for starburst background in panel four, and sunburst background in panel five! At least, I think they're backgrounds - if Diane was able to make her hair glow all along it seems a little odd she was surprised to learn about magic back at the New Years party. On the other hand, the light-source in those panels sure looks like it's Diane's head.

Anyway, I found it interesting that not only has Diane not always had long hair, but she used to wear her hair a lot like her current style.

I also want to know how "look for the good boys" turned into "seduce the dumb boys into buying us stuff".

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

I also want to know how "look for the good boys" turned into "seduce the dumb boys into buying us stuff".

Trying to find non ass males in jr. high and high school is tricky. 

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Trying to find non ass males in jr. high and high school is tricky. 

I wonder if at some point they did lose sight of what they were trying to do, and then Diane attempted to get back on track with thinking that Elliot would be the "good boy" she was looking for, but Lucy either didn't think so, or was just afraid that Diane would run off with a guy and abandon Lucy.

Oh, I just realized, it might have been when she found out Rick was gay that she lost sight of things, if she developed as crush on him after this moment and it was squashed, maybe her coming to Elliot's defense in the comments was a "NO! Not again!" reaction?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Oh, I just realized, it might have been when she found out Rick was gay that she lost sight of things, if she developed as crush on him after this moment and it was squashed, maybe her coming to Elliot's defense in the comments was a "NO! Not again!" reaction?

I think you're forgetting Justin. Remember when Diane was seen in a flashback spreading the nastiness when Justin got outed by Melissa?  (Third row, first panel)

It's not in canon exactly why Diane began hitting up her dates for money, but the only time we actually saw Diane actually getting money from a boy was after Justin became friends with Nanase, as seen in this flashback from a little later in Grace's Birthday Party (First row, middle panel, guy reaching into his wallet while Diane strikes a cute pose.)

There's another factor that might be very relevant: Just how much older are Rhea and Rick than Diane? Nanase was surprised to find out Rhea was actually Diane's sister even though Nanase had met Rhea before in the mystery of the locker room ghost. This suggests that Rhea wasn't in Moperville South when Diane was, and that Diane hadn't met Nanase and maybe Justin  until she started high school herself--after Rick and Rhea went off to college. That might also be the time that Rick met his boyfriend and Diane found out Rick was gay.

In a school that size,

(a) I would guess it's only a senior high school, grades 9-12 or maybe just 10-12, so they wouldn't need to be very far apart in age to not be in Moperville South at the same time.

And (b) with limited exceptions I wouldn't expect a lot of interaction between students more than a year apart. Siblings could be one of those exceptions, but not necessarily - I was in high school with one of my sisters for a year, a much smaller school than Moperville South, and I rarely saw her at all inside the building.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I think you're forgetting Justin. Remember when Diane was seen in a flashback spreading the nastiness when Justin got outed by Melissa?  (Third row, first panel)

Yeah, that was Freshman year, we're not exactly sure when Diane's flashback was beyond it being Junior High, so the issue with Rick could have happened before Justin was outted. Though also remember Diane called Justin "defective" when she was attempting to recruit Nanase into her group, so either she was taking out any anger she had about Rick being gay on Justin, or finding out Rick was gay put her in a general "gay boys may not be jerks, but I'm not wasting my time with them"

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

It's not in canon exactly why Diane began hitting up her dates for money, but the only time we actually saw Diane actually getting money from a boy was after Justin became friends with Nanase, as seen in this flashback from a little later in Grace's Birthday Party (First row, middle panel, guy reaching into his wallet while Diane strikes a cute pose.)

And we see Diane hasn't taken Rhoda under her wing yet, that scene is either from later Freshman year, or sometime Sophomore year. That doesn't really say when or why she started getting guys to buy her stuff, just that she started it before Rhoda joined.

34 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

There's another factor that might be very relevant: Just how much older are Rhea and Rick than Diane? Nanase was surprised to find out Rhea was actually Diane's sister even though Nanase had met Rhea before in the mystery of the locker room ghost. This suggests that Rhea wasn't in Moperville South when Diane was, and that Diane hadn't met Nanase and maybe Justin  until she started high school herself--after Rick and Rhea went off to college. That might also be the time that Rick met his boyfriend and Diane found out Rick was gay.

About the only thing we have to go on is Charlotte. Charlotte graduated from MSHS the previous year, so that makes her a year older than Nanase and Ellen. Of course Rhea and Rick are seen talking about drinking and then Edward didn't seem to care about the fact that the students were drinking aside from the idea that it'd make it easier for them to dismiss any weird things that happened. It's possible that the FBI doesn't bother with underaged drinking or everyone at the party aside from our 4 heroes are at least 21. Though if Rick is 21 then that would place him as a senior in High School when Diane was a Freshman. They could still have interacted in High School.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

About the only thing we have to go on is Charlotte. Charlotte graduated from MSHS the previous year, so that makes her a year older than Nanase and Ellen.

Charlotte is important to Diane now, but there's no indication Diane was even aware of Charlotte before the New Year's Eve party. Nanase didn't know that Charlotte had gone to MSHS until that party. It's interesting that Charlotte seemed to link with Diane so quickly, though; maybe Charlotte was aware of Diane when they were both at MSHS even if Diane wasn't aware of Charlotte.

Prior to the New Year's Eve party, Diane seemed only to be vaguely aware of Charlotte as Rhea and Rick's "geeky roommate" whom she mostly avoided or ignored.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Charlotte is important to Diane now, but there's no indication Diane was even aware of Charlotte before the New Year's Eve party. Nanase didn't know that Charlotte had gone to MSHS until that party. It's interesting that Charlotte seemed to link with Diane so quickly, though; maybe Charlotte was aware of Diane when they were both at MSHS even if Diane wasn't aware of Charlotte.

That's bound to happen with a school of roughly 2000 (if MSHS is the same size as MNHS that is, I don't think there's be any indication that it is or isn't), also I don't think Dan's really utitilized student extras in MSHS like he has with MNHS in the past, a lot of stuff that happened with Elliot, Sarah, Tedd and Susan usually had several secondary named characters (Verruckt, Liz, Sandi, Tony, "Ronin", Matt Cohen, Catalina, Good Tom, Bad Tom, Cecil, Ashley) and a bunch of unnamed but have had some speaking parts (like the group that gave Susan a hard time about the uniforms, and the ones that were there when Tedd came to Susan's defense, and the group that saw that saw Catalina kiss Elliot, and those that Sarah questioned in her investigation to find out who "Ronin" was). MSHS didn't have many moments where extras were utilized (there was Grace and Ellen's first day with the students in their first class giving Grace a hard time initially, and then after the first fire golem incident with the students talking about Justin) and secondary named characters were Diane, Lucy, Rhoda, Noah, Melissa, Adrian). So now we're seeing more of MSHS life and more student extras are being used.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

So now we're seeing more of MSHS life and more student extras are being used.

Don't be too disappointed if that doesn't happen. If you haven't noticed, and haven't read all the comments Dan makes on his character designs, Dan is obsessive about the details he puts into designing ANY character and he doesn't like to waste work. It's much more likely that incidental characters Dan has already laboriously created, like those two boys and two girls who just didn't recognize Diane, will repurposed to fit into new plot holes. Remember how Good Tom and Good Tom's girlfriend started out? Candidates at Moperville South could include the girls who swooned over Justin after he booted the first of the fire guys into oblivion, and the screaming girl at the mall running away from the giant flying snake while it still had its head attached. I wonder if that girl knows the screaming girl at Moperville North with raccoons in her attic.

29 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Remember how Good Tom and Good Tom's girlfriend started out?

Good Tom's Girlfriend was a friend of Matt Cohen's initially, that was kinda my point that we've seen extras at MNHS reappear from time to time, but that's rarely the case for students at MSHS and that it's only been in the last couple years that Dan's been creating more extras with dialog for the MSHS side of things. Like I said, aside from the girls swooning over Justin, and Grace and Ellen's first day of school, there hasn't been much interaction with other students at MSHS compared to MNHS.