• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Main Monday Sep 24 2018

At last, the explanation I was looking for (though after the past few flashbacks this doesn't come as too much of a surprise).

Also, yay for mirrored starburst background in panel seven! (Seriously, that's a neat effect.)

Like Lucy on the day Ellen and Grace started at Moperville South, Diane's inner child calls present-day Diane "Nancy Drew", so Dan must have looked back at that comic. But in the flashback in Panel Four, while Diane is wearing the same outfit as she wore, she has stripes around both her arms, and they are straight, not zig-zag. I doubt if this is an important plot point, but I do wonder why Dan decided on the change, especially since Dan depicted Diane with only one zig-zag stripe in Justin's flashback to when Justin was outed.

The starburst in panel seven isn't mirrored; Dan used two different starbursts. You can tell because the one on the right has a darker background. I'm more impressed by the very subtle streaks Dan put in the windows in the last two comics, giving the impression that they're glass, not just generic background.

45 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's all falling into place, and yet Diane's still fighting herself. This can only lead to an "O M G" moment.

I'd kind of like for each of her to get an OMG realization -- I hate when the child-self/mirror-self/alter-ego does nothing but tell the regular-self stuff and look smug!

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The starburst in panel seven isn't mirrored; Dan used two different starbursts. You can tell because the one on the right has a darker background. I'm more impressed by the very subtle streaks Dan put in the windows in the last two comics, giving the impression that they're glass, not just generic background.

Regarding the streaks, do you mean this comic and the last one? Because I don't see any streaks in the windows in the flashback in Wednesday's comic.

It is a neat effect, but perhaps a little too subtle - I didn't even notice them until now. Also, with how well Diane was reflected in the first panel of Friday's comic (before her reflection morphed into her younger self), I thought for sure it was a mirror - which made me assume she'd stepped into the ladies' room for some reason. Looking more closely, though, there are no sinks or counter, which you would expect under the mirrors in a restroom.

If these really are windows, Dan should have drawn Diane's reflection faded and incomplete (probably with the colors shifted towards that of the outside background if he didn't want to draw actual scenery outside; obviously if he had drawn the outside her reflection should be transparent).

As for the starburst, the window/mirror has consistently had a darker background than the "real" room; it would have looked odd if that changed just because of the starburst. And if you look at the rays of the starburst you can tell that even they aren't mirrored. However, "Yay for half a starburst in the room and half a starburst in the window/mirror!" doesn't have the same ring to it.

...Actually, it's too bad Dan didn't actually mirror the rays of the starburst, that would have been even cooler.

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think it's a sign that the "tattoos" on Diane's arms are either henna or some sort of upper-arm bracelet.  I'm going with henna, or maybe those temporary tattoo stickers.

I floated the henna theory a long time ago, and I doubt I was first. The obvious reason is parental disapproval. There's also the factoid that there are only three states where tattooing a minor is legal: Hawaii, Idaho (min. age 14) and Florida (16).

I think the main cast are all eighteen now. However, what if Akiko gets a magic mark that is mistaken for a tattoo?

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I floated the henna theory a long time ago, and I doubt I was first. The obvious reason is parental disapproval. There's also the factoid that there are only three states where tattooing a minor is legal: Hawaii, Idaho (min. age 14) and Florida (16).

It's also possible Diane would rather have something she can change anytime, or she's squeamish about someone prodding her with needles.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:08 AM, Tom Sewell said:

Like Lucy on the day Ellen and Grace started at Moperville South, Diane's inner child calls present-day Diane "Nancy Drew", so Dan must have looked back at that comic. But in the flashback in Panel Four, while Diane is wearing the same outfit as she wore, she has stripes around both her arms, and they are straight, not zig-zag. I doubt if this is an important plot point, but I do wonder why Dan decided on the change, especially since Dan depicted Diane with only one zig-zag stripe in Justin's flashback to when Justin was outed.

The "Nancy Drew" name could be something Dan doesn't need to look at to reuse.

However, I would definitely assume Diane really alters her outfit a lot.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

It's also possible Diane would rather have something she can change anytime

Yes.

On 9/24/2018 at 0:41 PM, CritterKeeper said:

I think it's a sign that the "tattoos" on Diane's arms are either henna or some sort of upper-arm bracelet.  I'm going with henna, or maybe those temporary tattoo stickers.

When I saw the image first, I actually assumed it's upper-arm bracelet with two black outlines and white / skin-colored middle. I still consider it most likely option.

18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I think the main cast are all eighteen now. However, what if Akiko gets a magic mark that is mistaken for a tattoo?

Remember that magic marks are not as obvious in "reality" as shown in comics. The contrast between them and normal skin is small and rather than actual tattoo, they might pass like pattern you made when sunbathing by not applying sunscreen at that place.

Also, Akiko from all people definitely doesn't need to be afraid someone would not realize it's magic mark.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The last panel is an accurate depiction of my own internal debates on the very BEST days.

... that sounds like you should visit some professional about that ...