• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday September 28, 2018

So far, the legend of Diane for MNHS is that she's a conniving slut. I don't think it really fits the title Dan gave this arc as yet. But exactly how could she change that reputation? She hasn't even been interviewed by Carol Brown yet. And beyond Moperville North, which she should be leaving in about four months, Diane is as anonymous as Jane Doe beyond maybe one or two dozen people.

Maybe there's more than one elephant here. An extremely wild card is who and what Diane's mother is, or was. A mortal? Another Elf? Perhaps even an unknown Immortal? Even if Diane's mother was a human with normal magic potential, she's the only character we know for sure has a half-Immortal parent.

I have no clue about where Dan is going to do in his next comic, but I don't think we'll be finishing TLoD (the abbreviation Dan is using in each filename) with this comic.

THAT RETROACTIVE "OUCH"

Dan put this link to that "OUCH" in his comments for this comic.

That ouch came in at least two parts: Diane described a double-date with Lucy as "meaningless"; and when Charlotte sort of indirectly asked about Lucy, Diane refused to tell Charlotte any more in a very bitchy way. Why would Diane do those things?

First, Lucy isn't meaningless to Diane. Dan may not have worked out how important Lucy was to Diane when he wrote that comic, but Lucy was definitely Diane's friend, an older friend than Rhoda. So it is reasonable that Diane didn't want to talk about Lucy to Charlotte just yet. But is she being bitchy to Charlotte because she doesn't like that? I don't think Dan really meant to imply that because later in that arc when Diane really hurts Charlotte's feelings Diane has most of comic arguing between her caring and bitchy selves right after about it.

Of course, Diane very soon had very different feelings about Charlotte.

Maybe this is a clue that Charlotte will be in TLoD?

Diane's subconscious realized the direction her life was heading and poked her to make it, even though her conscious mind was in denial about it all. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that she's going to get the epiphany about why Lucy is upset, at least at this moment. Maybe later, but hopefully sooner than that.

52 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That ouch came in at least two parts: Diane described a double-date with Lucy as "meaningless"; and when Charlotte sort of indirectly asked about Lucy, Diane refused to tell Charlotte any more in a very bitchy way. Why would Diane do those things?

First, Lucy isn't meaningless to Diane. Dan may not have worked out how important Lucy was to Diane when he wrote that comic, but Lucy was definitely Diane's friend, an older friend than Rhoda. So it is reasonable that Diane didn't want to talk about Lucy to Charlotte just yet. But is she being bitchy to Charlotte because she doesn't like that? I don't think Dan really meant to imply that because later in that arc when Diane really hurts Charlotte's feelings Diane has most of comic arguing between her caring and bitchy selves right after about it.

I dunno for sure, since it's meant to be an online representation, but the look on Lucy's face and the "You're joking, right?" might be taken as Lucy getting worried that Diane might getting sick of double dating with her.

12 hours ago, partner555 said:

Have we reached the climax already? Was expecting more reconciling with Lucy first.

FIRST? Why? Obviously, she must realize this first, Lucy later. If ever.

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

But exactly how could she change that reputation? She hasn't even been interviewed by Carol Brown yet. And beyond Moperville North, which she should be leaving in about four months, Diane is as anonymous as Jane Doe beyond maybe one or two dozen people.

Combined with how hard is to change that sort of reputation, I don't think it's worth it to try to clear herself in those four months.

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

An extremely wild card is who and what Diane's mother is, or was. A mortal? Another Elf? Perhaps even an unknown Immortal?

Almost surely mortal. One elf parent is more than enough.

43 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I dunno for sure, since it's meant to be an online representation, but the look on Lucy's face and the "You're joking, right?" might be taken as Lucy getting worried that Diane might getting sick of double dating with her.

... when that comics appeared, it looked obvious the "You're joking" refers to the "you are joking with wanting real relationship". However, now we know that she wanted real relationship on start and Lucy knew it. That makes it less clear ...

... meanwhile, the look on Lucy's face is DEFINITELY her being worried there would be no more double dates.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Am I the only one seeing Diane transforming herself into Sarah?

Quite possibly. If you are referring to appearance, it's true the current Diane looks more like the early Sarah because of her shorter hair.  And they both have have boyfriend/girlfriend issues--but not the same issues. Here's one one example: Diane has never expressed regret at still being a virgin; that was a big reason Sarah "just friended" Elliot, maybe the biggest reason. Diane, on the other hand, has never been shown even kissing anyone, even in her imagination, and I think the only person she's ever embraced in canon is Rhoda--and only in ways appropriate for a puppy or a child. The only time she's really been shown in a sexy pose in canon is imaginary, and it's unclear whose imagination it's in. And in that pose, Dan drew her silhouette without absolutely no curves suggesting she had breasts.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

To be fair, it seems to be less for "don't want to be virgin" reasons and more like "I want this relationship to progress, look, next step is losing virginity".

Diane has never expressed regret at still being a virgin

I'm sure ANY of the boys she was with last year would be ready to help her with it any time.

Diane, on the other hand, has never been shown even kissing anyone

... however, I find unlikely she never did.

The only time she's really been shown in a sexy pose in canon is imaginary

I think she actually did that pose. In the jacket, which lowered the effect a little :)