• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

NP Friday October 12, 2018

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

It does make me wonder what was going through Dan's mind when he did earlier stuff that people would consider revealing and suggestive, like the Pirate Cosplayer at EGS-Con.

Just speculation here; if you wanted to know for sure you'd have to ask him and hope he actually answers, but...

I suspect at the time he was thinking something along the lines of, "So long as I don't show nipples or genitals, I can't get into too much trouble for this." (Or if he wasn't concerned about the comic being labeled as adults-only, that was just the boundaries of what he was comfortable with at the time.)

As for why he felt more confident about such things back then, I think it's a combination of factors. For one thing, there was probably an element of the arrogance of youth involved (if I recall correctly, he was just out of High School when he started EGS). Also, his primary communication with the his fans (besides email) during the '00s was the forums, and for many years they were an echo chamber with many outspoken people in them who were as perverted as Tedd seemed to be at the time. Most importantly, he wasn't relying on the comic as a source of income at the time - nowadays if he looses too many readers (or rather too many patrons) it will affect his way of life, maybe even make it hard for him to get by.

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
11 hours ago, Scotty said:

It does make me wonder what was going through Dan's mind when he did earlier stuff that people would consider revealing and suggestive, like the Pirate Cosplayer at EGS-Con.

Just speculation here; if you wanted to know for sure you'd have to ask him and hope he actually answers, but...

I suspect at the time he was thinking something along the lines of, "So long as I don't show nipples or genitals, I can't get into too much trouble for this." (Or if he wasn't concerned about the comic being labeled as adults-only, that was just the boundaries of what he was comfortable with at the time.)

I suspect at the time he wasn't thinking about it. That came later with age.

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Also, his primary communication with the his fans (besides email) during the '00s was the forums, and for many years they were an echo chamber with many outspoken people in them who were as perverted as Tedd seemed to be at the time.

... meanwhile, now he communicates mainly over twitter, instead of going here and meeting the perverts :)

(Ok, I know there are people here complaining when characters have too big boobs ... so maybe the '00s forums were more perverted.)

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If he's talking about ships, shouldn't the line from the last panel be "I've sailed yawl"?

A yawl has two masts. With three it would be a schooner.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I knew yawl would point that out schooner or later.

It's these moments where I wish there was a facepalm in the reaction menu.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... meanwhile, now he communicates mainly over twitter, instead of going here and meeting the perverts :)

(Ok, I know there are people here complaining when characters have too big boobs ... so maybe the '00s forums were more perverted.)

Well, at the very least (based of my reading of the Keenspot forum archives from before I joined, as well as a little bit of some other EGS forums I was able to read before they went offline) the early-to-mid 00's forums had several people who were very outspoken in their perversion; every time anything sexy was posted in the comics, they'd be talking about how much they loved it, often in an exaggerated and/or juvenile manner. These days a lot of sexy things come and go without anyone commenting on them, and we're a lot more reserved in how we express our appreciation.

In the late 00s, around the time I first joined the forums, the most vocal of those people had left, and a few people had joined who didn't appreciate the fanservice. At first it was just respectful criticism and/or pointing out that not everyone was interested - but by early this decade it had devolved into repetitive and often heated arguments, which is why it's listed along with pacing and scheduling (other big subjects of argument) in the Pacing/Scheduling/Fanservice thread...

...At any rate, it turns out it's not just old stuff that makes Dan think "that ship has sailed"; in a reply to a question on Patreon, Dan said:

It happens a lot, so it's no one thing. Most recent example off the top of my head was posting milestone images I wasn't sure off only to realize it was no more risque than stuff in Goonmanji 2 I was about to reference link.

On 10/13/2018 at 4:25 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If he's talking about ships, shouldn't the line from the last panel be "I've sailed yawl"?

Ba-dum-ship?

Somehow, the purge (which I still have some irrational grudges) picked out the rocks from the fruit vines. If that analogy makes no sense, neither am I. :demonicduck: Patreon comments, though... I shall never know.

Just now, Stature said:

Ba-dum-ship?

Somehow, the purge (which I still have some irrational grudges) picked out the rocks from the fruit vines. If that analogy makes no sense, neither am I. :demonicduck: Patreon comments, though... I shall never know.

Patreon comments for this particular strip amount to Dan's avatar being super cute in that outfit.