• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Pin-up Mon Oct. 15 | Sketchbook Tue Oct. 16, 2018 – Adorable Angry Raven

NO!

I don't care what your educational credentials may imply.

I don't care if you lived through the relevant Historical period.

I Don't care how CUTE you may look.

I will reject any attempt to deny the reality of the Viking Horned Helmet.  Longenhodden, according to Rose Nylund.

The way I had heard it, horned helmets were for ceremonial use rather than for battle--in battle it would be too easy for an enemy's blade to catch on the horn and pull the whole helmet off.

Funny that Raven has not one but TWO students who could do this - Ellen and Rhoda. Although if he's going to get even shorter then it would be Rhoda for sure.

13 hours ago, ijuin said:

The way I had heard it, horned helmets were for ceremonial use rather than for battle

And Columbus DID discovered America, he just wasn't first one (that would be natives) nor first one from Europe (that would be Leif Erikson). He didn't know it's there so it still counts as discovery.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Still waiting on Raven to take the offensive in this "war" here.

Maybe he already did. He may be sneaky.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:06 AM, ijuin said:

The way I had heard it, horned helmets were for ceremonial use rather than for battle--in battle it would be too easy for an enemy's blade to catch on the horn and pull the whole helmet off.

Horned helmets are most useful in battle to those who like to fight by headbutting their opponents.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:52 PM, hkmaly said:

And Columbus DID discovered America, he just wasn't first one (that would be natives) nor first one from Europe (that would be Leif Erikson). He didn't know it's there so it still counts as discovery.

He also didn't realize he'd "discovered" anything; he thought for sure he was in "the Indies".

On 10/16/2018 at 4:52 PM, hkmaly said:

On 10/17/2018 at 5:47 PM, ChronosCat said:

He also didn't realize he'd "discovered" anything; he thought for sure he was in "the Indies".

....because he thought everyone else, from the Ancient Greeks on up to the then-present day, had all somehow gotten the math wrong, and that the world was actually several thousand miles diameter smaller than we knew darn well it was.  If there hadn't been s big honkin' continent in the way, his crews would have dies of hunger and thirst as their supplies would never have lasted far enough to reach India etc., given he'd only planned and supplied for the much shorter distance to the Indies that he was expecting thanks to his bad math.

Also, he never actually set foot on said continent, so really he only discovered some islands.

14 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

If there hadn't been s big honkin' continent in the way, his crews would have dies of hunger and thirst

... to be fair, finding some bigger islands would be enough to solve this problem.

14 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

because he thought everyone else, from the Ancient Greeks on up to the then-present day, had all somehow gotten the math wrong

... but yes, pretty arrogant ...

On 10/26/2018 at 0:32 AM, CritterKeeper said:

....because he thought everyone else, from the Ancient Greeks on up to the then-present day, had all somehow gotten the math wrong, and that the world was actually several thousand miles diameter smaller than we knew darn well it was.  If there hadn't been s big honkin' continent in the way, his crews would have dies of hunger and thirst as their supplies would never have lasted far enough to reach India etc., given he'd only planned and supplied for the much shorter distance to the Indies that he was expecting thanks to his bad math.

The infamous demand from his crew to turn back had nothing to do with fear of "falling off the edge of the flat Earth" or any such--it was because their consumables were nearing the halfway point with no known resupply point closer than the Canary Islands. They knew that if they didn't find land for resupply soon, they would have to turn back if they wanted to make it home before running out of anything to drink besides seawater.