• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

Story Monday October 29, 2018

http://egscomics.com/comic/tlod-031

... I still think it would make sense if Rhoda make HERSELF bigger, to tower properly over them.

Also, what has Diane's opinion on Justin to do with this? :) ... yeah, it's unfair, but I can totally imagine someone being ok with girls liking girls and still consider boys liking boys incorrect.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Also, what has Diane's opinion on Justin to do with this? :) ... yeah, it's unfair, but I can totally imagine someone being ok with girls liking girls and still consider boys liking boys incorrect.

It's the fact that Rhoda not only got a "but she's a girl!" reaction when she asked Diane if she liked Nanase. She also saw how Diane treated Justin being gay. It's like Diane was always being nice to Rhoda and protecting her, but there was that layer of intolerance that kept Rhoda afraid of losing Diane if she found out Rhoda liked girls.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's the fact that Rhoda not only got a "but she's a girl!" reaction when she asked Diane if she liked Nanase. She also saw how Diane treated Justin being gay. It's like Diane was always being nice to Rhoda and protecting her, but there was that layer of intolerance that kept Rhoda afraid of losing Diane if she found out Rhoda liked girls.

There is a lot of assumptions in work here, I was just pointing out one of them.

Rhoda assumed that she may lose Diane if she found Rhoda likes girls. That's was obviously unfounded, although most likely it COULD'VE happened if Diane would found out sooner ... when she wasn't over Rick yet.

But another assumption was that Diane treats homosexual men and homosexual women the same. As I tried to say, it's just assumption ; it would be possible that Diane hates homosexual men - due to what Rick did - but sees homosexual women as something completely different.

Although it seems that this assumption is true and she really changed her opinion on Justin and Rick based on seeing Nanase and Ellen.

41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There is a lot of assumptions in work here, I was just pointing out one of them.

Rhoda assumed that she may lose Diane if she found Rhoda likes girls. That's was obviously unfounded, although most likely it COULD'VE happened if Diane would found out sooner ... when she wasn't over Rick yet.

But another assumption was that Diane treats homosexual men and homosexual women the same. As I tried to say, it's just assumption ; it would be possible that Diane hates homosexual men - due to what Rick did - but sees homosexual women as something completely different.

Although it seems that this assumption is true and she really changed her opinion on Justin and Rick based on seeing Nanase and Ellen.

It's her assumptions, and her observations of Diane gave her enough reason to believe those assumptions, even if Diane never truly felt that way about gay people, Diane still projected that feeling and never realized that it could have been the reason Rhoda never said anything sooner, when Diane was chatting with Rhoda on New Years and Rhoda stumbled around explaining the picture, Diane could have said "it's ok if you two are dating" but she didn't.

40 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's her assumptions, and her observations of Diane gave her enough reason to believe those assumptions

Yes

even if Diane never truly felt that way about gay people

she probably used to

when Diane was chatting with Rhoda on New Years and Rhoda stumbled around explaining the picture, Diane could have said "it's ok if you two are dating" but she didn't.

Yes she could - and should. It's another case of her being less observant than she things she is ; sure, she correctly realized they are dating, but failed to realize WHY is Rhoda trying to hide it.

18 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We thought Rhoda was a guppy swimming with sharks.

It turns out that she is a Piranha.

She used to be guppy. I think it was her experience with magic - and possibly with Catalina - which enhanced her confidence allowing her to do this.

17 hours ago, showler said:

Have we had last names for either?

Last names are a precious resource in EGS. I think the only characters who have first and last names besides the Main Eight are Matthew Cohen, Carol Brown, Akiko Kitsune, Adrian Raven, and Catalina Bobcat. You'd think Diane would have a last name by now; maybe by the end of this entire arc which is named after her. I'm rooting for "Holmes".

22 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Last names are a precious resource in EGS. I think the only characters who have first and last names besides the Main Eight are Matthew Cohen, Carol Brown, Akiko Kitsune, Adrian Raven, and Catalina Bobcat. You'd think Diane would have a last name by now; maybe by the end of this entire arc which is named after her. I'm rooting for "Holmes".

You forgot Edward Verres and Pandora Chaos Raven. Also, there are some cases where we know the last names but not the first, such as Mr. and Mrs. Kitsune, or many of the FBI/DGB agents.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
19 hours ago, showler said:

Have we had last names for either?

I don't care what name her adoptive parents gave her ; she's Diane Raven for me.

36 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

You forgot Edward Verres and Pandora Chaos Raven.

And Noriko Verres, unless you don't count her assuming she no longer has that name after divorce. And Andy Debtman. Jim Tolkiberry. John Troutman.

36 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Also, there are some cases where we know the last names but not the first, such as Mr. and Mrs. Kitsune, or many of the FBI/DGB agents.

Also Mr and Mrs Dunkel, Mr and Mrs Brown, Mr and Mrs Pompoms ... and Dr. Germahn, Mr. Tensaided, Mr. Guyur ... principals and some teachers ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

principals and some teachers

We do know the full name of the Physics teacher at MSHS, though it's never actually mentioned in the comic, it was a cameo appearance of Darren Bleuel, cofounder of Keenspot.

Oh yeah, we also know Arthur J. Arthur, though what the J. stands for, we may never know.

23 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Oh yeah, we also know Arthur J. Arthur, though what the J. stands for, we may never know.

IF it stands for something. Remember B.J. Hunnicutt?

But doesn't matter: We know both first name and last name. Middle name doesn't count :)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Wasn't it revealed that the J stood for "Just" as in Arthur, Just Arthur?

That's not "relevation", it's just how Dan imagines it.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:31 PM, hkmaly said:

And Noriko Verres, unless you don't count her assuming she no longer has that name after divorce.

I almost mentioned her, but then it occurred to me that there was a good chance she changed her name back to her maiden name after the divorce and/or took the name of Van's father.

Speaking of Noriko's maiden name, I wonder what it was? Mr. Kitsune doesn't look Japanese, so it's possible he took his wife's name... So if Noriko didn't take Van's father's name, her name might be Noriko Kitsune these days. (Of course, this is mostly old speculation, but it's a question that's never been answered, and this conversation got me thinking about it again.)

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I almost mentioned her, but then it occurred to me that there was a good chance she changed her name back to her maiden name after the divorce and/or took the name of Van's father.

Speaking of Noriko's maiden name, I wonder what it was? Mr. Kitsune doesn't look Japanese, so it's possible he took his wife's name... So if Noriko didn't take Van's father's name, her name might be Noriko Kitsune these days. (Of course, this is mostly old speculation, but it's a question that's never been answered, and this conversation got me thinking about it again.)

Kitsune is Japanese for Fox, Nanase named her decoy summon "Fox" and Not_Tengu referred to Nanase as "Fox Niece" so I would guess there's significance to it being either Noriko's maiden name, in which case Nanase's parents might have taken the wife's name rather than husband's name. or Noriko maybe ran off with Papa Kitsune's brother.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Kitsune is Japanese for Fox, Nanase named her decoy summon "Fox" and Not_Tengu referred to Nanase as "Fox Niece" so I would guess there's significance to it being either Noriko's maiden name, in which case Nanase's parents might have taken the wife's name rather than husband's name. or Noriko maybe ran off with Papa Kitsune's brother.

Kitsune sounds like name which actually goes back to the elf who started Nanase's "royal" line of magic users - or to the IMMORTAL who started it. And look at Mr. Kitsune ... does he LOOK as someone who would complain when Mrs. Kitsune informs him that she's keeping her name due to tradition?

On 10/29/2018 at 5:54 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We thought Rhoda was a guppy swimming with sharks.

It turns out that she is a Piranha.

Nonsense. Clearly she is an Amazon River Dolphin. Adorable (almost to the point of ridiculousness), small(ish), apparently harmless, but it can hunt down and eat pirahnas.