• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Monday October 29, 2018

http://egscomics.com/egsnp/nanasecraft-07

Not sure which game protagonists guide was eaten by wolves, but it reminds me several RPG campaigns, including all I ever tried to DM. Thinking a proper way how to pack all the monsters into dungeon is hard and doesn't feel necessary if you are just eager to play and don't have any experience ... so yeah, wolves behind locked doors with nothing to eat except the bear in next room which they didn't and neither he tried to eat them. Also, the bear totally ignored the adventurers killing the wolves and waited until they came in his room. Yeah. There must've been powerful magic in play.

Video Games tend to be hit or miss with the ambient lighting in rooms and caves. I've lit a single candle in a dark room during a power outage and could at least see where things were in the room, but in some games, a torch only lights up a 3' radius around you.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Video Games tend to be hit or miss with the ambient lighting in rooms and caves. I've lit a single candle in a dark room during a power outage and could at least see where things were in the room, but in some games, a torch only lights up a 3' radius around you.

Then there's the games that are like those movies where everything is supposed to be pitch darkness, but is mysteriously lit up by imaginary moonlight.

Compare to Minecraft, where you can make out the shapes of things, but can't really see all too clearly otherwise.

6 hours ago, weirdee said:
11 hours ago, Scotty said:

Then there's the games that are like those movies where everything is supposed to be pitch darkness, but is mysteriously lit up by imaginary moonlight.

Note that reason for both is simple: you CANT show realistic lighting on monitor. LCD monitor can have dynamic range about 1000:1, but human eye is capable of seeing contrast of 1,000,000,000:1. ... not speaking about the little issue with there only being 256 levels of gray available in most games.

(Also, there is the fog of war issue ...)

6 hours ago, weirdee said:

Compare to Minecraft, where you can make out the shapes of things, but can't really see all too clearly otherwise.

I suspect some sort of cheat is involved.