• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Things that make you sad.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I remember John Glen's Shuttle trip in the 90s.

In an interview (from space) with Jay Leno, John Glen revealed that on that space flight, he could have his Tang with either Geritol or Metamucil.

Rest well, John Glenn. You were one of my childhood heroes and you will be missed.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tang with either Geritol or Metamucil.

Oh God.  I've had Metamucil with "orange fruit drink".  You should get a medal if you drink that.

On 12/9/2016 at 1:32 PM, mlooney said:

Oh God.  I've had Metamucil with "orange fruit drink".  You should get a medal if you drink that.

The Silver Citrus or the Orange Heart.

Fun fact Sunny D, Tampico, and Tang what they make from the dregs of orange juice processing.

Whelp....2016 doesn't get any better, this is more personal though. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before about the hotel I work at having a cat, Mr. Nickel, that's pretty much been the mascot of the hotel since he was a kitten in 2003. He would always go up to guests to be petted and mooch food from, pretty much everyone loved him (there was one guest that was apparently very superstitious and since Nickel was a black cat, was deathly afraid of him). Last year I had noticed that he had lost a lot of weight and wasn't very active, so I told my boss, and she took him to the vet who told her Nickel had developed diabetes. He was put on medication and special diet food which brought about a very noticeable improvement to Nickel's weight and energy. Pretty much all summer he was out chasing squirrels and catching chipmunks (the squirrels were faster) but a couple weeks ago I noticed that he had started losing the weight again. My boss just called me about half an hour ago to tell me that they had to put Mr Nickel down because the diabetes came back with the vengeance and his organs were failing, there wasn't anything they could do about it.

Ernest Hemmingway once famously observed...

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games

Later commentators have suggested that it is the lingering specter of death in competition and participationy that defines the demarcation line.

Yesterday at Gore in New Zealand, jockey Rebecca Black died at the track due to injuries when her horse stumbled and fell in a race.  Two of her children were at the race.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/horseracing/2016/12/18/new-zealand-jockey-rebecca-black-dies-children/95585522/

I don't know why, but death in competition seems particularly disturbing to me.

TL;DR: I'm sad because there's too much politics in all the media I consume now.

I'm a media consumer, we all are, we have our likes and dislikes and so forth. Most of the content-creators I follow at least try to stay out of politics or if they have to deal with these issues at least approach them in a neutral perspective. The only problem is, is that with the build-up and fallout over the 2016 election (the US one) more and more of my favorite content creators have been making more and more politically charged content, which is sometimes fine, but more often than not I find myself disapproving of because they decide to paint and demonize their opponents in one way or another, or at worst create a review stating "Maybe we should consider our opponent's perspective." while still demonizing them in an act of blatant hypocrisy.

Guys, as a foreign (to most of you) guy who is sick and tired of non-stop coverage of the election from foreign and local news and have references to it in basically any other media he consumed, I find it unbelievably tiring to find all that in the one place I never wanted to see it.

2016 has a really sick sense of humour, a few days ago it scares everyone with Carrie Fisher having a heart attack, then hits us with the death of George Michael today...He was only 53 years old.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

2016 has a really sick sense of humour, a few days ago it scares everyone with Carrie Fisher having a heart attack, then hits us with the death of George Michael today...He was only 53 years old.

Goodbye, George. You'll be missed.

I keep losing relatives in December due to cancer.

Almost 10 years ago I lost my Grandfather on December because of lung cancer.

Last year I lost one uncle because of lung cancer.

And just a few hours ago I lost another uncle because of prostate cancer.

4 hours ago, Red Regent said:

My profoundest condolences. This confounded 2016 seems bound and determined to get a few last kicks to the gut in before ending.

7 hours ago, Red Regent said:

I'm very sorry for your loss.  We had several years in which medical crises seemed to always occur around Thanksgiving, but thankfully we seem to have shaken that trend.  Here's hoping you similarly shake off your December woes after this.

9 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I am about to throw things across the room and scream my head off.

Can't say I blame you. I'd post the same thing I said in the Scribophile general forums, but it'd most likely get me kicked from the board for profanity.

Dang.  I'd heard she was in the hospital, but hadn't heard this yet.

Is it bad that I am now wondering whether they'd finished filming whatever scenes they needed her for in the current trilogy?

(Or that I thought to myself, Disney just lost their best Princess!)

She was one heck of a lady, and it would be nice if her legacy is complete and her role in the series is fulfilled.

53 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

OH SODDING BOLLOCKS. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, 2016?

Carrie Fisher just died.

Especially considering I mentioned her heart attack several days ago, but it seemed like she was recovering. It's like a fricken roller coaster of emotion here...

First Kenny Baker and now her. It's happening, guys. The original cast is starting to go.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Is it bad that I am now wondering whether they'd finished filming whatever scenes they needed her for in the current trilogy?

That was one of my first thoughts too.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

OH SODDING BOLLOCKS. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, 2016?

Carrie Fisher just died.

That really sucks.