• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Things that make you sad.

Well, the nightmare is now eating its own tail. I just learned from my sister that my grandmother's funeral will be on September 6th at 2 pm.

My next pain management appointment is September 6th at 1:30 pm. The doctor has no other available appointments until October. The only appointments available are the next day with a nurse practitioner, and since this is a procedure follow-up, I don't want to see him.

I'm going to miss my grandmother's funeral.

That sucks.  You would think they could change that more easily than you can change your appointment.

Still, it's the time you had together while she was alive that's important.  Perhaps you and your sister can get together to share memories on the weekend?

2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

That sucks.  You would think they could change that more easily than you can change your appointment.

Still, it's the time you had together while she was alive that's important.  Perhaps you and your sister can get together to share memories on the weekend?

Seeing my sister is not really a good idea, for reasons you don't want to hear.

13 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Well, the nightmare is now eating its own tail. I just learned from my sister that my grandmother's funeral will be on September 6th at 2 pm.

My next pain management appointment is September 6th at 1:30 pm. The doctor has no other available appointments until October. The only appointments available are the next day with a nurse practitioner, and since this is a procedure follow-up, I don't want to see him.

I'm going to miss my grandmother's funeral.

I am terribly sorry. I wish I knew any words to comfort. But all I can do is to promise you that you will be in my thoughts.

Thank you, everyone. Know that your caring will be reciprocated in spades should the time ever come.

Mrs. Prof and I will spend some time this weekend picking out an appropriate floral arrangement to send to the funeral service. I'm no good at that. She's the one with taste and will guide our selection.

I had not previously heard that Cookie the Cockatoo has passed away.  I knew she'd retired from public display, and suspected it might be due to ill health.  Nice that they're giving her a statue; she was the oldest animal in the zoo, a part of the original collection in 1934!

I just went to the MuseCon web page to see if they had dates for next year's convention....and found a brief message that this year's MuseCon was the last, that due to budgetary problems there would be no more.  This was perhaps my favorite of all the area conventions, focussing on creativity of all sorts, and it will be sorely missed.  It also leaves us with a big drought with no local fan SFcon between Capricon in February and WindyCon in November.  :-(

Heard from Mrs. Prof's and my best friend from our days in the Austin area (1981-1993, still best friends). His father died.

His father ran a Suzuki motorcycle shop in Austin for 33 years. First Suzuki shop in the city, if my memory is right. Otherwise, we weren't close with his father.

The viewing will be this weekend. A potted flowering plant has been sent this time, something that will live on well past the funeral.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:47 AM, mlooney said:

My mother passed away last night.

On 2/24/2018 at 0:13 PM, The Old Hack said:

Oh Lord. My sincerest condolences. :(

Mine as well.  It's just over a year since my father passed.  I hope your mother had as good a death as possible.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:47 AM, mlooney said:

I'm not sure anyone is ever prepared for the death of a parent they were close to.

May all the formalities be as stress-free for you as is feasible.

Sudan, the last surviving male northern white rhino, is ailing. He had an infection in his leg a couple of months ago, and he looked like he was responding to treatment but then a second, deeper infection was discovered, and he's not responding as well this time. At 45, he is very old for a rhino, but a lot of people are trying very hard to keep him going until some reproductive tech can be brought to bear to get his genes into a next generation.

What makes me even sadder is how similar his problem is to what happened to my father. He was also a very large guy, and he had an infection inhis leg which didn't respond well to treatment. In his case, that proved fatal in the end, because when he had a heart attack, they couldn't use his leg veins to get up to the heart, so their treatment options were sharply limited. Here's hoping Sudan fares better. I've noticed that a lot of interviews mention the fact that they're paying close attention to Sudan's quality of life, reminding people that they might have to euthanize him if he's suffering, no matter how valuable he is.

Of note is the fact that Sudan has a Tinder account. Swipe right and it takes you to the donations page for the conservancy that guards him day and night from poachers. It's meant to help raise funds for the reproductive technology needed for IVF to save his genes and his species.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:47 AM, mlooney said:

First I'm seeing about it. I'm sorry - I wouldn't have tried to chat with you on Facebook yesterday.

Is there anything we can do to help?

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

First I'm seeing about it. I'm sorry - I wouldn't have tried to chat with you on Facebook yesterday.

Is there anything we can do to help?

No, I'm good, more or less.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

I was just notified that my father passed away on the 29th.  This has not been a good month for me.

I am sincerely sorry to hear this. Is there anything we can do for you?