• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Things that make you sad.

10 hours ago, Zorua said:

Prince the Cat
Born: 11/27/2016
Died: 2/6/2019

Hunter the Cat
Born: 2009 or 2010
Died: 2/8/2019

You will be missed, guys. So, so much.

Both within two days?  Ouch!  I hope it wasn't something bad that took out both of them, although I guess I don't even know if that would be any worse or better.  May you find comfort all the happy memories the three of you shared!

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Both within two days?  Ouch!  I hope it wasn't something bad that took out both of them, although I guess I don't even know if that would be any worse or better.  May you find comfort all the happy memories the three of you shared!

Seconded.

Sunday was the second anniversary of my father's death.  I was able to go home for the weekend to visit my mom, and we did stop by the columberia where his ashes are, but it wasn't the focus of the visit.  I wasn't really sure if my mom would remember what day it was, as it was usually my dad who was best at remembering that sort of thing, but she did too.  We talked a bit about their travels together, as well as family trips taken with all four of us.  So, sad, but not in a bad way, if that makes sense to you.

Question, would any of you guys be interested in commissioning me? Recent developments have resulted in my laptop getting bricked and me needing to send it to the repair shop. It cost me roughly $90.

René Murat Auberjonois
June 1, 1940 – December 8, 2019

Now who will keep Quark from causing trouble or prepare Les Poissons?

-----------------------------------------------
Caroll Edwin Spinney
December 26, 1933 – December 8, 2019

Can you tell me how to get to a place where you can make a living by being six years old for fifty years?

On 3/31/2018 at 10:09 PM, mlooney said:

I My cat Suzan just died.  She was ill for quite a while before this.

You have my sympathy. ... Also realized the irony of saying that with a dog icon.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Fixed quote & an observation.

So, J. K. Rowling has just gone full on TERF. I find this profoundly depressing.

I used to love the Harry Potter series. I never found it unproblematic, and I found some of Rowling's storytelling choices worrisome or shallow, but I had never expected of her that she was just an outright transphobe. I guess I just blinded myself to that. That tweet of hers is so full of TERF dog whistles that my ears are still ringing.

Ah well. Goodbye, Harry. It was nice while it lasted.

39 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

So, J. K. Rowling has just gone full on TERF. I find this profoundly depressing.

I used to love the Harry Potter series. I never found it unproblematic, and I found some of Rowling's storytelling choices worrisome or shallow, but I had never expected of her that she was just an outright transphobe. I guess I just blinded myself to that. That tweet of hers is so full of TERF dog whistles that my ears are still ringing.

Do you have a link?

Never mind, it was easy to find.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
2nd comment.

On 12/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, The Old Hack said:

Thought you might appreciate this.

Is my appreciation for art to be based on the art itself?

Or is it to be biased by my my views and opinions of the artist's views and opinions?

This, I know, is an old question that will be asked many more times and will probably never have a satisfactory answer

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Or is it to be biased by my my views and opinions of the artist's views and opinions?

This, I know, is an old question that will be asked many more times and will probably never have a satisfactory answer

It was meant for Old Hack in particular. The subject matter seemed germane to her earlier post.

Since you asked. I read Scenes from a Multiverse. It does not update very often, but neither is it abandoned nor in hiatus. This particular comic is typical of the artists style, sensibility, and humor. Make of it what you will.

I find him basically amusing and insightful, but it's hardly my favorite web comic.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It is, as always, a matter of individual judgment.

I personally feel that it is perfectly all right to enjoy problematic works as long as one remains aware of the works being problematic and does not make excuses for it. Shakespeare, for example, reflected a number of views that are really not acceptable today; anti-semitism was one, misogyny another. This does not mean one cannot appreciate his art for what was good about it.

It is my own judgment that I will no longer be able to enjoy Rowling's work. I am certain this will not cause her much loss of sleep. I am also perfectly fine with other people enjoying it still, as long as they do not merely tamely accept the parts of it that reflect hate propaganda.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:34 AM, mlooney said:

Terry Jones, of Monty Python, died.

Yeah, well, when many heroes of my youth are in their eighties, this will happen, all too regularly. I'm in, "The last cast member of a show or movie I liked, or the last band member of a band I liked, has past away" territory.

Oh, dear, I read the Wiki article, and his passing sounds like a mercy; the end of his life was not fun for him.

Christopher Tolkein died on the 16th at age 95.

While his father J.R.R. Tolkein created the world of Middle Earth, without Christopher my favorite of JRR's works, The Silmarillion, would never have been published. And Christopher's History of Middle Earth series provided an extremely fascinating and in-depth look into the making of The Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings, a tale just as interesting in my opinion as the books themselves. I'll miss reading new material from him, but at least he lived a long, full life.

One of my favorite podcasts, SpeakBeastie, had a thoughtful essay and later a discussion about JKR's tweets, which included multiple LGBTQ+ perspectives as well as a straight white cis woman like me.  The general consensus was that the situation sucks, but that the Harry Potter universe and all that's great about it has grown beyond its author, and it's done far too much good, including helping people come out or come to accept themselves, for us to discard it all now.  They also figured that it's pretty hard to find any work that isn't problematic for at least a group or two.

Personally, I tend to be willing to continue loving a work if the work itself merits it, but at the same time I don't want my money to go to bigots.  I didn't go see Ender's Game in the theater, nor will I be buying new copies of any of the books Card publishes, at least not until he's passed away.  I will, however, read a copy from the library or a used book store, where none of my money will be going to support such attitudes and actions.  I suspect I'll do the same for Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts.  I've been known to buy a ticket for one movie, and then go watch another, for example.  I'm kind of glad I got copies of the series, including the "grown-up" editions of the HP series (with Philosopher's Stone!), before any of this came to light....

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Personally, I tend to be willing to continue loving a work if the work itself merits it, but at the same time I don't want my money to go to bigots.  I didn't go see Ender's Game in the theater, nor will I be buying new copies of any of the books Card publishes, at least not until he's passed away.  I will, however, read a copy from the library or a used book store, where none of my money will be going to support such attitudes and actions.  I suspect I'll do the same for Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts.  I've been known to buy a ticket for one movie, and then go watch another, for example.  I'm kind of glad I got copies of the series, including the "grown-up" editions of the HP series (with Philosopher's Stone!), before any of this came to light....

I would like to once again stress this to me very important point: there is nothing wrong with liking even the problematic work of a problematic writer as long as the problems are acknowledged and fairly discussed. This most certainly goes for Ms. Rowling and her books. I still possess a good deal of problematic works on my own shelves -- Shakespeare's Collected Works spring immediately to mind -- and I enjoy reading the poetry and the plays even as I deplore the arrant misogyny of, say, The Taming of the Shrew.

So, please continue to read and enjoy the Harry Potter books if you like them. I hardly begrudge you that. While I myself have banned her works from my shelves, that is my own decision and stems purely from how much her actions have hurt me personally. Indeed, I have no right to show moral outrage at it as I did not take action when Ms. Rowling's very openly racist stance against Asians showed in her attitude to Nagini and the atrocious backstory provided for her. We each have different thresholds of tolerance and I understand and accept that.

~tOH.