• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Things that make you sad.

16 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

No. Believe me, it isn't.

I totally get what you're saying. He makes me mad, but he makes me sad first.

I saw a clip on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver of a sweet little old lady who was shocked that Trump had lied. (I don't recall what about. Hard to keep track, really.) She was asked where she gets her news, "From all the good news shows, the ones on Fox." Seems like all it takes to win an election any more is a good team of sociopaths.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:43 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He broke even

Kenny Rogers
August 21, 1938 – March 20, 2020

Your link is not working; it may be overwhelmed at the moment. A search on YouTube shows an incredible number of recent tribute posts to Kenny.

I love this song, it's one of my top ten. It is basically a concise metaphor for the Book of Ecclesiastes. I saw Kenny Rogers on some show deny that The Gambler was a metaphor for life, but I'm not buying it. Maybe he was embarrassed that people saw him in a more thoughtful light after he wrote it.

That said, there is an error in the lyrics. "Every hand's a winner, and every hand's a looser," should be, "Every card's a winner, and every card's a looser", and I think that's what he meant, but the words don't match the idea. The notion is, if you are holding two pair, and are going for a full house, even a nominally crappy card can make your hand, and an ace can bust it. But if you consider actual completed hands, they have an intrinsic rank order, and their odds of winning are not equal.

I'm not a fan of the bit of lyric you quoted. It jars my belief system. My view is, you don't break even. I'd have gone with "cashed his chips in". That's what you do; you play the game, you win or loose, then you cash your chips in. Nice and indeterminate and mysterious. None of this feel goody 'broke even' crap.

Yes, I'm nit picking, I still love the song.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Fix typo: 'sows' --> 'shows'

I miss you guys. All the frequent posters. All the folks I've bumped into. All of you. I only wish I could have told you all how much I love you and appreciate all the things you've said and done with me in my time here. Cheers to Hack, Zorua, Minstrel, Looney, and all the others whose names I've sadly forgotten. I'm sorry for all the bad things I've done, and I miss y'all.

1 hour ago, Red Regent said:

I miss you guys. All the frequent posters. All the folks I've bumped into. All of you. I only wish I could have told you all how much I love you and appreciate all the things you've said and done with me in my time here. Cheers to Hack, Zorua, Minstrel, Looney, and all the others whose names I've sadly forgotten. I'm sorry for all the bad things I've done, and I miss y'all.

You are welcome back here any time, old friend. Even if you feel quiet you are welcome to just stay awhile and listen. ^_^

20 hours ago, Red Regent said:

Stick around for a while. Lurkers are welcome (I hope - I'm in lurk mode most of the time, except for medical updates).

On an unrelated note, timezones are awful. I made a friend in Hawaii a few days ago, and I just now realized that our timezones are really hard to work with. By the time I wake up at like 10-11 AM in the morning, it's already like 4-5 PM in the afternoon. That means in a given day, I only have, at best, a 5-6 hour window to talk to them. Which is a darn shame because they're cool.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

RIP.   He should have been president.

I thought so, too, long ago. He was not so impressive working for Bush, but I'll grant there were many mitigating circumstances. Sad to see him pass. He died of complications of COVID. He was fully vaxxed, but he had cancer in his immune system, so was highly compromised anyway.

Bush himself shocked me recently. He spoke at the 2021 9/11 rally, and I've never heard him sound so presidential. He was thoughtful and impressive. Kudos, old man!

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

I'll grand that I'm an American, so Nov 11th is Veterans Day, not Remembrance Day, but there really aren't any famous poems for Veterans.

Desmond Mpilo Tutu

7 October 1931 - 26 December 2021

He was too moderate for the radicals and too revolutionary for those already in power

And when the old government finally fell, due in no small part to his work, he had the audacity to criticize the new government

What makes me sad? Not being able to step away from my current situation for even a moment without choosing a path of homelessness and destitution. My mental health is at the breaking point. I even feel wrong posting this here. Nobody can help me, I just feel like I'm showing off of something. I need peace. Something I can't get locked up in this house.