• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Things that make you sad.

2016.......It's not another death in the entertainment industry but it might as well be. Gord Downie, lead singer for The Tragically Hip, just announced that he's been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. The band is planning one final tour before calling it quits.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So many celebrities act like martyrs for their various causes.  How many of today's hot shots would be willing to sacrifice their wealth, occupation, and freedom to take a stand?

Well, I seem to recall the Dixie Chicks sacrificing a huge segment of their market, income, and exposure because they refused to change or be silent about their politics....

19 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Well, I seem to recall the Dixie Chicks sacrificing a huge segment of their market, income, and exposure because they refused to change or be silent about their politics....

Response in Political Thread

On 6/4/2016 at 8:27 PM, The Old Hack said:

May you rest in peace, Muhammad Ali. Thank you for the inspiration you gave.

First thing that comes to mind whenever I hear his name is "Thrilla in Manila". Still remains as one of the greatest events.

But, I will never know who/what is to blame for it *shrugs* :demonicduck:

Fallout 4 digital deluxe bundle (base game + all DLC) is apparently free on the XBox store right now.

I don't own an XBox One.

On a purely personal level I have my first micro kidney stone in several months.  This makes me less than fully gruntled.  At least with my new air bed I can adjust the bed softness to a point that laying on my side is not a cause for massive pain.

36 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

R.I.P. Gordie Howe.

Watching funeral coverage for Muhammed Ali, I saw the announcement of Gordie Howe.  Then they showed a photograph of Howe, Ali, Rod Laver, and Jim Brown together at the same event.  I find it difficult to imagine a greater athletic Mt Rushmore.

I hate 2016 so much. While not a celebrity, my close friend struggling with cancer has just been informed that the chemotherapy isn't working and that they are stopping it. As a result, it is now only a question of how much time he has left. Three weeks, three months, who can say. *sighs*

No, he is not a celebrity. But he is a damned good schoolteacher, he loves his kids, and it is so unfair that they have to lose him. I am really unhappy now.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I hate 2016 so much. While not a celebrity, my close friend struggling with cancer has just been informed that the chemotherapy isn't working and that they are stopping it. As a result, it is now only a question of how much time he has left. Three weeks, three months, who can say. *sighs*

No, he is not a celebrity. But he is a damned good schoolteacher, he loves his kids, and it is so unfair that they have to lose him. I am really unhappy now.

There's no way I can click on the "Like this" button for this post, since the entire situation is very sad indeed. Pass along my support to your friend, and take a bit of it for yourself while you're at it.

5 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

There's no way I can click on the "Like this" button for this post, since the entire situation is very sad indeed. Pass along my support to your friend, and take a bit of it for yourself while you're at it.

Thank you, Prof. It helps.

Orlando

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Orlando_nightclub_shooting

What makes me saddest?  This kind of news is not shocking or surprising.

Honestly, it now feels like a meteorologist rambling on about local weather records when I hear the statistics about how more people were killed in this night club that were killed in similar mass shootings at elementary schools, universities, restaurants, post offices, shopping malls, movie theaters, or churches.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

Living with an Alzheimer's patient, I know that is a terrible way to go.  Especially for those around the patient.

59 is far too young to be diagnosed with that disease and forced into retirement.  64 should not be the end of life.  But at least the suffering is ended for patient and caregiver alike. 

Pat Summitt started as a 22 year old graduate assistant thrust into the job of university head coach with responsibilities that included driving the team van and washing the team uniforms at her own home.  And for this she earned a salary of 250 dollars per month.

From that beginning, she did more than almost anyone else to make women's athletics relevant.

But there were other moments...

Ouch. My sympathies. My late father's last surviving brother told me today that he has been diagnosed with leukemia and the doctors give him six months.

50 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Ouch. My sympathies. My late father's last surviving brother told me today that he has been diagnosed with leukemia and the doctors give him six months.

God.

The word is out that medical science is making great strides against cancer these days. The results can't possibly arrive soon enough.