• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Circe

NP Wednesday Dec 12, 2018

23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Either way, I don't approve.  Smart women shouldn't be made dumb.

Personally I find it cute/sexy and funny in this sort of context - we know Nanase will be returned to normal at some point, and we know that NP is not canon.  If it were canon I might feel differently but a lot would depend on the circumstances.

6 hours ago, Circe said:

I'm, like, totally surprised and such that there are no, like, comment-thingies on ditzy-nase.  Bimbo-nase?

I considered starting the thread to say that I was speechless, but I decided to go to bed instead.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I can say that I'm not happy with it, though I can put up with it for a little while.

Generally speaking, I dislike mental transformations, as I feel that it changes who the character is. However how big a change it is and how long it lasts affect how much I dislike it; Elliot's secret identity forms and spells with similar effects don't bother me at all, as it's just the mental equivalent of a costume - the characters remain themselves underneath, and can "take it off" whenever they want. Mental changes which reduces a character's intelligence on the other hand, I find quite creepy, even if it is temporary (and if it's not temporary it's not just creepy, it's tragic).

3 hours ago, Circe said:

Personally I find it cute/sexy and funny in this sort of context - we know Nanase will be returned to normal at some point, and we know that NP is not canon.

Those factors do take a lot of the sting out of it. However, I still don't find it cute or fun, and it's actually a turn off for me. (That said, I could see how someone might find a character like this funny - I actually enjoy cloudcuckoolander characters, and there is some overlap between that character type and the bimbo type.)

Just now, ChronosCat said:

Those factors do take a lot of the sting out of it. However, I still don't find it cute or fun, and it's actually a turn off for me. (That said, I could see how someone might find a character like this funny - I actually enjoy cloudcuckoolander characters, and there is some overlap between that character type and the bimbo type.)

There's also the factor that Dan tweaked Nanase to be a bit more aloof in this story, the real Nanase wouldn't have bashed open the doorway without making sure it wasn't trapped or anything. Same with the Grace-a-Monsters story.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Generally speaking, I dislike mental transformations, as I feel that it changes who the character is. However how big a change it is and how long it lasts affect how much I dislike it; Elliot's secret identity forms and spells with similar effects don't bother me at all, as it's just the mental equivalent of a costume - the characters remain themselves underneath, and can "take it off" whenever they want. Mental changes which reduces a character's intelligence on the other hand, I find quite creepy, even if it is temporary (and if it's not temporary it's not just creepy, it's tragic).

Even changes in Goonmanji 2 worked - like, the bimbo there wasn't actually stupid, just scatterbrained. It was inside the range character might actually get without becoming someone else, just like you don't became someone else when you are tired - although you behave very differently.

But this is creepy, as it seems like her becoming really stupid.

10 hours ago, Circe said:

Personally I find it cute/sexy and funny in this sort of context - we know Nanase will be returned to normal at some point, and we know that NP is not canon. 

... on the other hand, as long as it's temporary and doesn't have some long term consequence, it doesn't stop being funny. It's like ... when someone falls from roof, it means he's hurt, which shouldn't be funny ... but as long as he's not seriously injured (or dead), it still is.

So ... both funny and creepy for me. Also yes she's sexy but that didn't changed, she was sexy before already.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

There's also the factor that Dan tweaked Nanase to be a bit more aloof in this story, the real Nanase wouldn't have bashed open the doorway without making sure it wasn't trapped or anything.

... and, yes, despite the similarities this is not Nanase Kitsune to start with. Nanase Kitsune would not talk to Sarah the way Nanase Craft does, she would be more careful, she would have different magic abilities and she would probably have less experience with dungeon crawls. And less money. Oh, presumably, Nanase Craft is older.

and now back to story: seems obvious that after the previous room, when character who can see was navigating character who doesn't, this will be about character who can still think navigating one who can't.

But in the first two puzzles it was Sarah guiding Nanase. And it looks likely that the third will be the same. There needs to be a puzzle where Nanase guides Sarah.

On the other hand, in both of the first two it was Nanase who figured out the nature of the puzzle. Maybe that's why she's had a brain reduction for this one.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

But in the first two puzzles it was Sarah guiding Nanase. And it looks likely that the third will be the same. There needs to be a puzzle where Nanase guides Sarah.

On the other hand, in both of the first two it was Nanase who figured out the nature of the puzzle. Maybe that's why she's had a brain reduction for this one.

Note also that Nanase was always going first. It would make more sense if Nanase ends up guiding Sarah because Sarah will be the one activating next trap first for some reason.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... and, yes, despite the similarities this is not Nanase Kitsune to start with. Nanase Kitsune would not talk to Sarah the way Nanase Craft does, she would be more careful, she would have different magic abilities and she would probably have less experience with dungeon crawls. And less money. Oh, presumably, Nanase Craft is older.

It's also possible that Nanase Craft and Sarah have a close relationship or at least Nanase is attracted to Sarah based on her treatment of Sarah. If it was Nanase Kitsune doing this, I'd rather it have been Ellen as the assistant, but non-canon does allow for more mixing of roles and ships as we saw in Grace-a-Monsters with Sarah and Diane being a couple, and they've never actually met in canon yet.

17 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

(That said, I could see how someone might find a character like this funny - I actually enjoy cloudcuckoolander characters, and there is some overlap between that character type and the bimbo type.)

Come to think of it, I can think of one instance where I found characters being made less intelligent funny: that episode of ReBoot where Enzo accidentally turned Mainframe 8-bit. To this day, when someone is trying to help and making things worse, I often think of everyone's "help" in that episodes Game... ("We are helping to make you go faster!")

Now I need to decide whether to feel guilty about finding that funny, or find a justification for why it's okay to laugh at it.

10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... on the other hand, as long as it's temporary and doesn't have some long term consequence, it doesn't stop being funny. It's like ... when someone falls from roof, it means he's hurt, which shouldn't be funny ... but as long as he's not seriously injured (or dead), it still is.

Hmm, that would work for a justification...

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's also possible that Nanase Craft and Sarah have a close relationship or at least Nanase is attracted to Sarah based on her treatment of Sarah. If it was Nanase Kitsune doing this, I'd rather it have been Ellen as the assistant, but non-canon does allow for more mixing of roles and ships as we saw in Grace-a-Monsters with Sarah and Diane being a couple, and they've never actually met in canon yet.

That's actually quite likely, yes ... but I don't think Nanase Kitsune would talk like this to Ellen either. Nanase Craft is, like, patronizing a bit ...

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Now I need to decide whether to feel guilty about finding that funny, or find a justification for why it's okay to laugh at it.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmm, that would work for a justification...

You can also laugh then feel guilty.

Just now, hkmaly said:

That's actually quite likely, yes ... but I don't think Nanase Kitsune would talk like this to Ellen either. Nanase Craft is, like, patronizing a bit ...

Probably the closest we have is back in So a Date when Nanase's trying to encourage Ellen to help with the investigation. Though Nanase Craft is probably channeling Susan more.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:
7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

It's not a milestone/pinup or a sketchbook (yet) so I guess I'll mention this here:

Bonus color versions on Patreon.

Personally, I like the first one best.

I like the middle one, hair color is better.

The first one matches the scenario most, as Dan noted. The spell would make her pink to highlight the lowering of intelligence.

The second is the "keep the palette" option. Is the second most obvious choice, and matches Nanase Craft when ignoring the lowering the intelligence.

The third one ... well ... I think the work spend on color coordination is lost on me. I don't think it's better than either of the first two options, and see no reason why should the spell transform her this way.

... speaking about it, I think the spell would be supposed to make the swimsuit more sexy and/or less practical as well, but likely failed to find better option :)

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The third one ... well ... I think the work spend on color coordination is lost on me. I don't think it's better than either of the first two options, and see no reason why should the spell transform her this way.

When I look at it, I find the blue of her skirt calming, and over-all the color scheme feels pleasant and well-balanced. The only problem is, this is supposed to be a moment in time in a story, not a piece of art that exists only to look good (or an advertisement or piece of home decor, other scenarios where having just the right colors is important); the "perfect balance" actually makes it feel a bit too artificial to me.

...And even beyond that consideration, I find the pink in the first version exciting. It screams "look at me!" while the third one is a far more low key color scheme. (Also I just like pink.)