• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ChronosCat

Sketchbook Thursday Dec 13, 2018

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

http://egscomics.com/sketchbook/2018-045

Another colorized NP, because Dan was running late.

It's kind of funny, the original purpose of this strip was partially to buy Dan some time while he worked out the next puzzle/trap in the crypt; now it's being used to buy some time again.

I ain't complaining, I see it as the sketchbook section serving it's purpose.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Definitely. Once upon a time, it was called the "Filler" section, after all.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Definitely. Once upon a time, it was called the "Filler" section, after all.

... would match more, as these are definitely not sketches, and in fact it was quite long ago we had actual sketch in sketchbook section.

I'm not complaining to see colored versions of comics, but it IS make hard to comment them ... although in this case ...

I based Professor Mall Elliot's outfit colors more around her being a professor, and less trying to perfectly match it to her hair or eyes or whatever.

... I consider this proof of the statement we mentioned in one of previous sketchbooks, that Dan is spending too much time on color. I mean, usually. There is no problem with color on this strip ; if Dan used simpler method to choose the colors, it means his usual method is unnecessary complicated.

Just now, hkmaly said:

... would match more, as these are definitely not sketches, and in fact it was quite long ago we had actual sketch in sketchbook section.

It would be nice to see some actually sketches again as well, either character design processes or just random doodles.

Just now, hkmaly said:

... I consider this proof of the statement we mentioned in one of previous sketchbooks, that Dan is spending too much time on color. I mean, usually. There is no problem with color on this strip ; if Dan used simpler method to choose the colors, it means his usual method is unnecessary complicated.

I suspect the only way to really get efficient with colour would be to have all the colours pre-chosen ahead of time. Technically Dan should have easily been able to do this recent segment of the Story comics in colour because he already has pretty much all the colours picked out from Squirrel Prophet, with the exception of some clothing but it shouldn't be difficult if he based clothing colour on past choices as well (Tedd's shirt being a shade of blue, Sarah's sweater pink or blue, etc) but it would certainly take longer if Dan is using a new or existing but previously uncoloured scene and new characters, whether it be during the planning phase or drawing phase.