• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Story Friday, December 14, 2018

http://egscomics.com/comic/tsos-15

Well, Dan has established that the tournament is over and that as Grace prepares to fly in order to safely retrieve the spilled dice on the floor that the only other people in Salty Crackers are Sarah, Justin, and Tedd.

However, Dan does not say if the door is locked, and I believe Salty Crackers does have windows, so it may be possible that Monday will bring another witness to Grace's latest airborne activity.

I'm favoring that she's going to levitate the dice, so nobody has to bend over and pick them up off the floor.

And it's almost certain that someone is going to walk in and see all these dice hovering. Who's it going to be?

I'm guessing Sam is short on cash and that's why he skipped this tournament, but he's stopping by to see Sarah after it.

Almost certainly Sam.  I thought it might be Luke, but seeing her levitate dice wouldn't tell him anything he doesn't already know.

...although I have to think, Grace's "loophole" seems a little weak if this is where it triggers.  In a world where everyone knows magic exists, it's kind of a leap from levitating dice to remaking bodies.

Caltrops? Seriously? Most dices I have are plastic and not that sharp. Also, colorful, which makes them hard to miss. And finally, how many d4 dices there were? Three, four?

... but ok, if I had telekinetic powers I might also jump at opportunities to use them.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

However, Dan does not say if the door is locked, and I believe Salty Crackers does have windows, so it may be possible that Monday will bring another witness to Grace's latest airborne activity.

Yup, also expect someone will notice. Most logical person would be the owner of those dices, who noticed losing them. However ...

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

'm guessing Sam is short on cash and that's why he skipped this tournament, but he's stopping by to see Sarah after it.

15 minutes ago, WR...S said:

Almost certainly Sam.  I thought it might be Luke, but seeing her levitate dice wouldn't tell him anything he doesn't already know.

... I agree that plot-wise, Sam is only person who makes sense to appear.

16 minutes ago, WR...S said:

...although I have to think, Grace's "loophole" seems a little weak if this is where it triggers.  In a world where everyone knows magic exists, it's kind of a leap from levitating dice to remaking bodies.

She IS just shapeshifting ... however, yes ; doesn't seem enough for loophole by itself.

But, like, maybe there will be some sequence of events ending with loophole ... like ... hopefully it would feel less forced than this.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Caltrops? Seriously? Most dices I have are plastic and not that sharp. Also, colorful, which makes them hard to miss. And finally, how many d4 dices there were? Three, four?

You obviously don't have kids or you would remember what it's like to step on a Lego. If there's just one of those Danish deathtraps deployed, your foot will find it.

37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I have a dent in my left foot left over from when I jumped off a bunk bed and landed on a d4 that had to be removed at the emergency room.  A US Army emergency room.   Good times.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, Dan has established that the tournament is over and that as Grace prepares to fly in order to safely retrieve the spilled dice on the floor that the only other people in Salty Crackers are Sarah, Justin, and Tedd.

4 hours ago, Haylo said:

Or, she could be preparing to use her (much weaker) abilities to levitate non-self items. This could be another case where she stumbles across a "no change" in the rules of magic.

She's more likely to use her telekinesis to pick up the dice, she has said it's more difficult than using it to fly, but I imagine Greg might have suggested working on that, and this is an opportunity to do so, also how would flying be useful here, especially if a die or two rolled under the counter?

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I have a dent in my left foot left over from when I jumped off a bunk bed and landed on a d4 that had to be removed at the emergency room.  A US Army emergency room.   Good times.

Just cus they're plastic, doesn't mean they wouldn't hurt like a sonovabitch:

1l07ld.jpg

I try not to complain about Dan's odd story-telling methods. But I feel like the main comic has come to have the same loose feel of the EGS:NP strips. This is literally a full page about dice falling to the floor. I'm just saying it's an odd pacing choice.

1 hour ago, jmucchiello said:

I try not to complain about Dan's odd story-telling methods. But I feel like the main comic has come to have the same loose feel of the EGS:NP strips. This is literally a full page about dice falling to the floor. I'm just saying it's an odd pacing choice.

To me, Dan seems to be telegraphing that every possible panel in next Monday's comic will be needed for the next scene, so this setup has to end exactly at the end of today's page.

Just now, jmucchiello said:

Having a page dedicated to dice falling is odd on it's own, but I'm more curious about Grace's behaviour towards it. Is she still on edge about the whole "how do I get Sam to open up to Sarah?"dilemma? Her insistence that Sarah and Tedd don't need to help isn't something that I'd expect from Grace unless Grace is hiding something, and busting out the antennae could be an attempted recovery?

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace is transforming into her Squirrel form.
At that size, the caltrops are not dangerous, and she can probably fit about fifty dice in her squirrely cheek pouches.

As for who might walk in? 
I expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Full squirrel would definitely be useful for getting under the counter, but I'm pretty sure she could just go straight from human to squirrel without any midway transitions, meaning the last panel should be showing her getting furry as well.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I may be forgetting something, but I think she can only fly in her Omega form. At the moment I looks like she isn't even transforming to her anthro squirrel form let alone Omega, just letting her antennae loose. I'm assuming she's going to just levitate the dice.

As for what happens next, the most obvious thing would be for someone to catch her at it. However, that seems a bit too obvious; Dan likes to subvert the obvious expectations, so I'm guessing it's something else.

8 hours ago, Haylo said:

Or, she could be preparing to use her (much weaker) abilities to levitate non-self items. This could be another case where she stumbles across a "no change" in the rules of magic.

That's what I consider the most likely.

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Having a page dedicated to dice falling is odd on it's own, but I'm more curious about Grace's behaviour towards it. Is she still on edge about the whole "how do I get Sam to open up to Sarah?"dilemma? Her insistence that Sarah and Tedd don't need to help isn't something that I'd expect from Grace unless Grace is hiding something, and busting out the antennae could be an attempted recovery?

I don't know about why she insisted on doing it herself, but her bringing out her antennae may be a case of her being careless (consciously or otherwise) in order to increase the chances of being accidentally discovered by Sam. (Of course this would work better if she had reason to expect Sam to be around.)

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

You obviously don't have kids or you would remember what it's like to step on a Lego. If there's just one of those Danish deathtraps deployed, your foot will find it.

I've never stepped on a Lego, but I have stepped on smooth pebbles that were higher than everything around them. Just the fact that it is small and raised up enough from the ground/floor to cause most of your weight to rest on it can cause it to really hurt.

Also, it doesn't matter what the object is made of if it's hard and too solid for your weight to crush/squish.

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As for who might walk in? 
I expect the Spanish Inquisition.

I thought nobody expected them.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Full squirrel would definitely be useful for getting under the counter, but I'm pretty sure she could just go straight from human to squirrel without any midway transitions, meaning the last panel should be showing her getting furry as well.

Grace has never used levitation in canon in human form, only in some furry form. However, we're in the New World now, and we already know Grace can do things she couldn't do before, because the old restrictions on Uryuom magic have been removed. So, levitation without furry-osity is a possibility.

However, whether Grace grows fur or not, or whether she just levitates dice or levitates herself or both at once, I think the real point is that she is doing something that will surprise a witness on Monday. That witness must be someone who either enters Salty Crackers or sees what Grace is doing from outside.

The most appropriate witness is Sam; this is The Secret of Sam. And Dan might be throwing another one of his curves at us, because we've alll been assuming, I think, is that Sam's secret is that he's biologically female. But it could also apply to a secret Sam discovers about someone else. It's possible Sam was the one who sent Elliot those messages, but Elliot isn't at Salty Crackers tonight. And Sam hasn't shown any indication that he has any idea that anyone there now has weird powers. Sarah is the only one he's connected with, and her weird power is basically invisible.

Luke might well be waiting for Justin to come out, or might return for some reason. Luke does know there's something very unusual about Grace, and he's heard about "antennae" (probably Noah in his Dark Flying Magical Ninja guise), so just seeing Grace form her prehensile antennae would freak him out. But that doesn't involve Sam; they don't even seem to know each other. We don't even know whether Sam is in the same college or if he's in college at all; only that he's twenty, a year older than Luke and two years older than Sarah.

Maybe they'll show up at about the same time?

48 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Grace has never used levitation in canon in human form, only in some furry form. However, we're in the New World now, and we already know Grace can do things she couldn't do before, because the old restrictions on Uryuom magic have been removed. So, levitation without furry-osity is a possibility.

She only needed her antennae out to help guide that paper airplane message to Justin, we also know she only needs her antennae out to talk to animals, that's enough evidence that she's been able to do it regardless of overall form. The only question left is how powerful those abilities are, and it's probably safe to say that Grace with just antennae wouldn't have the power to create a telekinetic shield, or fly, or else we'd have seen her doing so without her fully transforming.

I think it's still too early for even Grace to know the extent of what else she can do that she couldn't before, she's still baffled that she can resize her clothing, though she's at least tested to see if it can controlled. If she is able to work on building magic without the need to suppress her Uryuom Power or if Uryuom Power can substituted for magic energy in casting spells (like Nanase can burn calories for magic), that could lead to a whole new level of power for Grace.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

However, whether Grace grows fur or not, or whether she just levitates dice or levitates herself or both at once, I think the real point is that she is doing something that will surprise a witness on Monday. That witness must be someone who either enters Salty Crackers or sees what Grace is doing from outside.

The most appropriate witness is Sam; this is The Secret of Sam. And Dan might be throwing another one of his curves at us, because we've alll been assuming, I think, is that Sam's secret is that he's biologically female. But it could also apply to a secret Sam discovers about someone else. It's possible Sam was the one who sent Elliot those messages, but Elliot isn't at Salty Crackers tonight. And Sam hasn't shown any indication that he has any idea that anyone there now has weird powers. Sarah is the only one he's connected with, and her weird power is basically invisible.

Maybe Dan's setting things up for Grace to be discovered, but I would find it odd that he'd bring in Sam after he just set Sam up to being unavailable, why would Sam suddenly appear after he'd told Sarah he wouldn't be, Sarah expects the next time she sees him is Sunday, seeing him now would raise questions about why he couldn't make it to the tournament to begin with and there wasn't any indication that he might stop in later or anything.

Sky    3

Grace is transforming into her Squirrel form.
At that size, the caltrops are not dangerous, and she can probably fit about fifty dice in her squirrely cheek pouches.

Actually, although she hasn't done it in a while, Grace didn't wear shoes for a long time - which means she likely still has very strong feet (depending on how long ago it was). People who have never worn shoes can actually walk over cactus needles, broken glass, and really sharp stones - never mind Lego!

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Sarah is the only one he's connected with, and her weird power is basically invisible.

Except to Tedd and (presumably) other seers, Luke, immortals, and probably Tara and Andrea (the gryphons)... that we know of.

Tedd (and other seers, most likely) can only see the power while it's being used though; the others can see the potential even when it is idle.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

why would Sam suddenly appear after he'd told Sarah he wouldn't be (there tonight)

Sam could change his mind. For instance, realizing he's basically putting off telling Sarah the truth, he spends a miserable evening and decides to try to catch her before she leaves Salty Crackers. Why would he need to see her in person? It's well established that all the characters that matter have phones and use them a lot. Because Sam's begun to really care about Sarah and thinks this is something that really has to be done face-to-face. Now calling or even texting Sarah asking if he can see her tonight sounds like an even better idea to me, but Sam started out asking himself "what am I doing?" on his drive home the night he met Sarah and accepted his first date with her.

I think I've come up with enough justification for Sam to just happen to show up at exactly the right/wrong time. Maybe it will even resemble something Dan will actually put up.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's true I don't have kids ; however, the problem with lego is that there are lot of it and you don't expect it. You rarely step on Lego when putting it back to box. You step on it when you think it's all in box and it isn't.

Also, I suspect you never stepped on true caltrop. (I didn't either, but I think it hurts more. Well ... maybe except the mlooney's case where he jumped on that dice.)

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

She's more likely to use her telekinesis to pick up the dice, she has said it's more difficult than using it to fly, but I imagine Greg might have suggested working on that, and this is an opportunity to do so, also how would flying be useful here, especially if a die or two rolled under the counter?

I think the difference in weight would offset the difference in difficulty. Like, telekinetically lifting someone else would be much harder than herself, but small dice?

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

She only needed her antennae out to help guide that paper airplane message to Justin, we also know she only needs her antennae out to talk to animals, that's enough evidence that she's been able to do it regardless of overall form. The only question left is how powerful those abilities are, and it's probably safe to say that Grace with just antennae wouldn't have the power to create a telekinetic shield, or fly, or else we'd have seen her doing so without her fully transforming.

I don't think being furry is the part of her transformation necessary for bigger power ...

I think it's still too early for even Grace to know the extent of what else she can do that she couldn't before, she's still baffled that she can resize her clothing, though she's at least tested to see if it can controlled. If she is able to work on building magic without the need to suppress her Uryuom Power or if Uryuom Power can substituted for magic energy in casting spells (like Nanase can burn calories for magic), that could lead to a whole new level of power for Grace.

I think that the transformation of clothes is basically only thing she can do without getting spell ... but, she CAN get spell now.

4 hours ago, Sky said:

Actually, although she hasn't done it in a while, Grace didn't wear shoes for a long time - which means she likely still has very strong feet (depending on how long ago it was). People who have never worn shoes can actually walk over cactus needles, broken glass, and really sharp stones - never mind Lego!

She's also shapeshifter. Doesn't matter how long ago it was, if she remembers it she can shapeshift the foot like that again.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Sarah is the only one he's connected with, and her weird power is basically invisible.

Except to Tedd and (presumably) other seers, Luke, immortals, and probably Tara and Andrea (the gryphons)... that we know of.

Tedd (and other seers, most likely) can only see the power while it's being used though; the others can see the potential even when it is idle.

They probably can't see what she's doing inside, just like Pandora can't ... but they can see she's using her power or that she has power, yes.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I don't think being furry is the part of her transformation necessary for bigger power ...

Greg noticed a significant power shift when Grace changed forms, and it's assumed that her Omega form makes her the most ridiculously overpowered person in Moperville.

I mean yeah she's got all that power, but her forms seem to only use what is necessary like specialties, her ability to mix and match forms and such is like respeccing attributes where she can create a form built for heavy hitting, or one for speed, or one for stealth, etc though we've only seen her using animal-based forms for those things and only minor stuff when she's human with antennae, it could be just her choice to use animal forms though.

She only needed her antennae out to help guide that paper airplane message to Justin,

Yes. Missed that. But she didn't get full control of that paper airplane. Dice weigh more than paper airplanes, unless we're going with Yoda's "size matters not".

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

They probably can't see what she's doing inside, just like Pandora can't ... but they can see she's using her power or that she has power, yes.

Sam doesn't have any established power to sense magic. Without it, he might not have been able to detect using her power on their date last Friday. Girls have been known to nod off, and except when the Demonic Duck is involved, Sarah is pretty good at thinking fast. (i.e, "I wish I was taller.")

When Grace brought out her antennae to manipulate the paper airplane in Squirrel Prophet, she took care not to be seen because she knew there were people who did not know her secret in the store. But in the final panel of this comic, her eyes are closed; she can't be aware of anyone who has unexpectedly entered or is looking in through a window.

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:
57 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Greg noticed a significant power shift when Grace changed forms, and it's assumed that her Omega form makes her the most ridiculously overpowered person in Moperville.

Ehm. Just when Justin was thinking it, there were at least TWO much more powerful beings IN THE SAME ROOM. Namely, Tedd ... and Pandora.

I also wouldn't be so sure Grace is more powerful than Adrian.

Was Arthur Arthur, another seer, at Moperville at that time? What about agent Wolf, the most powerful wizard in mid-western United States?

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I mean yeah she's got all that power, but her forms seem to only use what is necessary like specialties, her ability to mix and match forms and such is like respeccing attributes where she can create a form built for heavy hitting, or one for speed, or one for stealth, etc though we've only seen her using animal-based forms for those things and only minor stuff when she's human with antennae, it could be just her choice to use animal forms though.

I think that the mix-and-matched forms are more powerful than her basic forms because she used mix-and-match to create them. When creating her Omega form, she only had access to few animal forms, but she has more forms now and might be capable of creating more powerful forms without the fur.

30 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
7 hours ago, Scotty said:

She only needed her antennae out to help guide that paper airplane message to Justin,

Yes. Missed that. But she didn't get full control of that paper airplane. Dice weigh more than paper airplanes, unless we're going with Yoda's "size matters not".

Dices weigh more BUT they have less air resistance. I think she crashed the plane because she underestimate air resistance ... AND that she was deliberately trying to let the paper airplane fly as naturally as possible to provide cover. So, I doubt she will have problems with dice.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Adrian might beg to differ. I mean Adrian apparently had some idea of Damien's power if he could compare Grace to Damien in that way. It's possible that even Adrian didn't think he'd be strong enough to fight Damien, I would think that Damien would fall under what Adrian would consider acceptable conditions for getting involved, heck maybe he did get involved originally and that's how he ended up with Noah.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Adrian might beg to differ. I mean Adrian apparently had some idea of Damien's power if he could compare Grace to Damien in that way. It's possible that even Adrian didn't think he'd be strong enough to fight Damien, I would think that Damien would fall under what Adrian would consider acceptable conditions for getting involved, heck maybe he did get involved originally and that's how he ended up with Noah.

... and Max. I mean, where else would Adrian AND Edward get such strange "cats"?

Even if Adrian has less raw power, he certainly has more experience, so I don't believe he wouldn't be able to defeat Damien. However, I think he didn't have time to track him. Also, I would assume DGB would be able to defeat him, maybe not just one of them but together definitely ... they didn't fight him because they didn't knew where he was.