• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

NP Monday December 31, 2018

I really like Sarah's outfit, but I'm a bit annoyed by the hints Dan's been making over on Patreon that he's going to continue to draw her in that outfit. I want the images in the comic to actually represent what happens in the story! (Of course, if her clothes were somehow transformed, I wouldn't mind that - I just don't get the impression that's where he's going with this.)

Oh well. Anyway, yay for starburst background in panel three!

I was saying 3000 is not much. Also, I suspect quite lot of Nanase Craft assistants get to the "money are good but only if I can actually spend it" phase ... it's not like the dungeon crawling ISNT dangerous ...

... ok, the third panel was worth the joke with clothes. (Although Halo had even funnier reaction to realizing she's rich.)

57 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I really like Sarah's outfit, but I'm a bit annoyed by the hints Dan's been making over on Patreon that he's going to continue to draw her in that outfit.

... but yes, I think she should return to wearing actual clothes. Especially if it turns out there is fewer of them now.

BTW, Happy new year!

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I was saying 3000 is not much. Also, I suspect quite lot of Nanase Craft assistants get to the "money are good but only if I can actually spend it" phase ... it's not like the dungeon crawling ISNT dangerous ...

Yeah, $3k is worth maybe a single month's paycheck (assuming that Sarah does not have to deduct her transportation and adventuring supplies costs from it). It's not enough to make a living at unless she can swing a payment that size at least once every month. $3 million on the other hand is half a lifetime's income for Americans of average income (future inflation notwithstanding).

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, $3k is worth maybe a single month's paycheck (assuming that Sarah does not have to deduct her transportation and adventuring supplies costs from it). It's not enough to make a living at unless she can swing a payment that size at least once every month. $3 million on the other hand is half a lifetime's income for Americans of average income (future inflation notwithstanding).

If it was $3k, and say the expedition took a week tops (including prep work and travel time), assuming she got similar archeology jobs every month, she'd only make between $36k and $144k a year (the top end assuming she was able to get a job every week at $3k each). Sarah could live off the low end depending on where she lives, somewhere towards the high end would be preferable but she wouldn't be guaranteed to find work that often, and she'd probably be spending more time working than at home if she did.

At $3mill though, Sarah could comfortably take the rest of the year off, or take jobs whenever she felt like it, if she sticks with Nanase and got a couple jobs like this a year, she'd definitely have it made.

11 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Given how safe the EGS-verse makes transformations, I think I'd sign up for a few runs with Nanase Croft!

I'm pretty certain there'd be a lineup for that, maybe some last person standing battle royals.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:
12 hours ago, ijuin said:

If it was $3k, and say the expedition took a week tops (including prep work and travel time), assuming she got similar archeology jobs every month, she'd only make between $36k and $144k a year (the top end assuming she was able to get a job every week at $3k each). Sarah could live off the low end depending on where she lives, somewhere towards the high end would be preferable but she wouldn't be guaranteed to find work that often, and she'd probably be spending more time working than at home if she did.

At $3mill though, Sarah could comfortably take the rest of the year off, or take jobs whenever she felt like it, if she sticks with Nanase and got a couple jobs like this a year, she'd definitely have it made.

Note that Sarah is Nanase Craft's assistant, not freelance assistant. I'm sure her previous work didn't paid like this - in fact, it paid bad enough she was willing to risk working for Nanase Craft. From context, maybe she was hired for "normal" pay for normal work with bonuses for dungeon crawling, and this was her first dungeon crawl: seems there was some although not much time for them to know each other.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Given how safe the EGS-verse makes transformations, I think I'd sign up for a few runs with Nanase Croft!

You could end up being eaten by wolves, there could be spikes or poison gas when failing the puzzle. Even assuming the transformations are always this safe, dungeon crawling can be risky. Not speaking about fact that you could die before getting to the dungeon because those tend to be on hard to reach places ... note that Dan said most assistants reach an "I'm good, thanks" point after few jobs. Maybe some minority is dead.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Note that Sarah is Nanase Craft's assistant, not freelance assistant. I'm sure her previous work didn't paid like this - in fact, it paid bad enough she was willing to risk working for Nanase Craft. From context, maybe she was hired for "normal" pay for normal work with bonuses for dungeon crawling, and this was her first dungeon crawl: seems there was some although not much time for them to know each other.

From the commentary:

" Nanase Craft tends to go through assistants rather quickly. Many assume it's because her work is dangerous, but most of them just reach an "I'm good, thanks" point after just a few jobs at most. "

This implies that this may be Sarah's first expedition with Nanase. It also implies that many of Nanase's contracts paid out very well that even a 30% cut for the assistant was still good pay. I agree that Sarah wouldn't have been freelance, but she might have been working in a research department of some university or something  and took this as a side job cus she had time off that needed to be used.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

From the commentary:

" Nanase Craft tends to go through assistants rather quickly. Many assume it's because her work is dangerous, but most of them just reach an "I'm good, thanks" point after just a few jobs at most. "

This implies that this may be Sarah's first expedition with Nanase. It also implies that many of Nanase's contracts paid out very well that even a 30% cut for the assistant was still good pay. I agree that Sarah wouldn't have been freelance, but she might have been working in a research department of some university or something  and took this as a side job cus she had time off that needed to be used.

I said this is her first dungeon crawl (or expedition). But Nanase Craft isn't doing expeditions all the time - she needs some hints where to go to, at least, and it seems that she needs even more - someone willing to pay her for that.

Which opens option that Sarah was working for her for some time already, in more mundane position or with more mundane job description.

Or, like ... maybe Nanase Craft is teaching at university between adventures - Indiana Jones was. So Sarah was her assistant in that position (paid by university) and then took the offer to also assist her on dungeon crawl. And she wouldn't be first assistant doing that.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Or, like ... maybe Nanase Craft is teaching at university between adventures - Indiana Jones was. So Sarah was her assistant in that position (paid by university) and then took the offer to also assist her on dungeon crawl. And she wouldn't be first assistant doing that.

Heh.  I imagine a university would get rather annoyed if a professor kept having teaching assistants who dropped out of school because they'd suddenly gotten rich.

Then again, maybe a student who suddenly had millions, and didn't have to worry about tuition or student loans, would just decide to stay in college for as long as possible...

It probably depends on the student's reasons for choosing their major--if they were studying just so that they could have a better-paying career, then they would probably drop out, but if they were studying for a career that they wanted to do for emotional reasons (e.g. wanting to help people or advance science through their work), then they would likely want to complete their degrees.

If the discussion of the financial side of paleontology in the book Boundary (Flint/Spoor) is a useful guide, $6M would be somewhat above average for an archaeologist's non-teaching budget... for life.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

If the discussion of the financial side of paleontology in the book Boundary (Flint/Spoor) is a useful guide, $6M would be somewhat above average for an archaeologist's non-teaching budget... for life.

That is a good book.

16 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Heh.  I imagine a university would get rather annoyed if a professor kept having teaching assistants who dropped out of school because they'd suddenly gotten rich.

Nothing which couldn't be changed by little donation.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

It probably depends on the student's reasons for choosing their major--if they were studying just so that they could have a better-paying career, then they would probably drop out, but if they were studying for a career that they wanted to do for emotional reasons (e.g. wanting to help people or advance science through their work), then they would likely want to complete their degrees.

I find unlikely anyone would choose archaeology for better-paying career. Maybe except Nanase Craft ...

15 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Not surprised.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

If Sarah continues to be Nanase's field assistant, even if she goes out 4 times in a year, donating half her earnings in that year would probably get a building named after her.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If Sarah continues to be Nanase's field assistant, even if she goes out 4 times in a year, donating half her earnings in that year would probably get a building named after her.

I meant from Nanase. And yes, the university probably IS named after her.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I find unlikely anyone would choose archaeology for better-paying career. Maybe except Nanase Craft ...

Sorry, I meant that in the sense of "get a college degree because jobs that require a degree usually pay more than jobs that don't". Archaeology and other academic careers pay a lot less than business management or practicing law or medicine, but still tend to pay more than most jobs that you can walk straight into from your high school graduation.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I meant from Nanase. And yes, the university probably IS named after her.

Craft college of Antiquities at Moperville University.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 1/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, hkmaly said:

Sorry, I meant that in the sense of "get a college degree because jobs that require a degree usually pay more than jobs that don't". Archaeology and other academic careers pay a lot less than business management or practicing law or medicine, but still tend to pay more than most jobs that you can walk straight into from your high school graduation.

... you mean there are still jobs which pay more if you have degree, no matter what degree it is? In that case yes.

... I though most people with degree in fields like archeology end up in McDonald ...

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

people with degree in fields like archeology end up in McDonald …

Not Archeology, ARCH-eology.

Actually, you need a background in Paleontology to identify and acquire the prehistoric beast that is the source of the McRib.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Actually, you need a background in Paleontology to identify and acquire the prehistoric beast that is the source of the McRib.

Big talk from the Pharaoh that used to eat McPyramids and drink Croco-Cola back in Egypt.