• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Wednesday January 16, 2019

Grace knows of Pandora.  And Pandora has been in Grace's brain.  But I can't recall Grace actually meeting Mother Raven.

So what can Grace say to Sam?

Probably not much.  Although it would be worthwhile to assure him that if PCR wrote "I ask nothing in return", Sam can take that at face value.  No goon will show up at Sam's door demanding that he repay the "favor".

And yes, Grace can let Sam know that Sarah knows about magic.  Also either of them can get him in touch with some high level magic experts.  Experts who might not even dissect him.  Immediately.

So, how exactly does Grace's power let her know that Sam is transformed?  And why did Dan include a scene showing that she can read the pips of a die with her power?

Grace has some kind of radar/sonar-like sense that lets her detect the shape of things to high accuracy when she uses her antennae. Clothing apparently does not block this sense, which is what let her see Sam's body shape.

15 minutes ago, Prof_Sai said:

So, how exactly does Grace's power let her know that Sam is transformed?  And why did Dan include a scene showing that she can read the pips of a die with her power?

Grace is a great observer, even when in "normal" mode.

That is how Grace knew that Sam was biologically-female-presenting-as-male back in the earlier tournament.

And when her antennae are extended, her observational abilities are extended into the super-human level.

That is how she was able to determine that Sam was physically transformed a few comics ago.

Edit:  That is also how she is able to tell what number is up on a caltrop die without actually looking at it.  It's a subset of her telekinetic abilities.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Posted before I was finished writing

Just now, Illjwamh said:

I wonder if Pandora was motivated to do this because of Sam's similar situation to Tedd's.

Either that, or because of Sam having the potential to develop a relationship with Sarah.

2 Friday's ago would have been the day Pandora refreshed, so it would appear that she marked Sam sometime around when she talked to Sarah and Tedd, I'd like to think she gave the mark after talking to Sarah, it wouldn't take long of course, and I don't think she seemed like she had anything else to do aside from preparing for her refresh and possibly crushing the enemies of her family, after talking to Tedd.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Edit:  That is also how she is able to tell what number is up on a caltrop die without actually looking at it.  It's a subset of her telekinetic abilities.

People seamed to think that was like mentally feeling the surface of the dice, which in turn made them think that Grace was mentally feeling for male bits or lack of female bits on Sam to which Dan had said that wasn't what she was doing and insisted that she was only making visual observations.

It's possible then that Grace might have been using a combination of structure analysis and her memory of what Sam looked like previously to be like "ok Sam's jawline is a little more square than before."

Hmm, tricky situation for Grace if she doesn't want to go telling other peoples' secrets.  Maybe just tell him to talk to Sarah about it, but not say why, and let Sarah decide whether to tell Sam she's got a mark too.  As for Tedd, asking if she can tell a friend with a similar ability about Sam so they can meet, could backfire given how Sam was observant enough to suggest the name Tess to Tedd, and he would likely make the connection himself just from that.

If they do talk, what will Tedd tell Sam about how long they've been able to transform and how long they've had a magic mark?  It would be very easy to let slip that the two are not the same, opening up a whole new can of question-worms.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

As for Tedd, asking if she can tell a friend with a similar ability about Sam so they can meet, could backfire given how Sam was observant enough to suggest the name Tess to Tedd, and he would likely make the connection himself just from that.

Grace wouldn't be lying that when Sam suggested Tedd use the name "Tess" that Tedd didn't know what it meant to be trans or genderfluid, and I don't think Tedd would be mad not only if he was told that Sam was the reason Grace learned more about being transgender and genderfluid which had a very positive effect on Tedd, but also that Pandora had given Sam a similar mark around the time that she had talked to him.

I kinda wonder though, Pandora could have left the note anonymously like she did with Rhoda, this could be a clue that she marked Sam because of his involvement with Sarah and that she hoped that Sarah would find out, I guess Pandora could have just told Sam in the note that he should talk to Sarah about it but maybe that would have scared him off. Maybe instead,Pandora expected Grace to get involved and hoped she could get Sam to open up to Sarah because Grace tends to have ways of getting people to open up with each other, like Sarah and Ellen in MV5 for example.

Sam says he found the note from Pandora when he woke up "two Fridays ago". Working back from current story time, Monday evening, in this comic:

• Saturday, two days ago: Sam ran away when he spotted Grace at the mall.
  • One Friday ago (three days ago): Sam avoided showing up at Salty Crackers.
  • Two Fridays ago: Found the note first thing in the morning. Went on the not-date with Sarah that evening, possibly transformed. Also that evening, magic changed.
  • Three Fridays ago: Sam met Sarah. The earliest date for this would have been January 10th since the events in Identity took at least a week of school to play out and occur after the end of the Christmas-New Years break.

So one Friday ago it had to be at least January 24th and it must be at least January 27th in this comic. I hope Dan doesn't forget Valentine's day; it might not be more than a few years away in our time.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

So one Friday ago it had to be at least January 24th and it must be at least January 27th in this comic. I hope Dan doesn't forget Valentine's day; it might not be more than a few years away in our time.

Valentine's day? Ellen's "Birthday" would be coming up this Friday in comic.

After next tournament Sam will visit:

George: "So, Justin, Sam is member of your secret club now?"

Justin: "What? No. You mean because he's dating Sarah?"

Grace: "... sort of yes actually."

13 hours ago, ijuin said:

So, it was Pandora leaving a parting gift for a friend of a friend.

Or, like, Pandora leaving a parting gift for her friend Sarah.

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace knows of Pandora.  And Pandora has been in Grace's brain.  But I can't recall Grace actually meeting Mother Raven.

So what can Grace say to Sam?

Probably not much.

Actually, plenty of second-hand information from Sarah. Sarah told Grace and Tedd basically everything from her first two meetings with Pandora.

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Although it would be worthwhile to assure him that if PCR wrote "I ask nothing in return", Sam can take that at face value.  No goon will show up at Sam's door demanding that he repay the "favor".

Especially considering Pandora is dead now and may not remember him.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I kinda wonder though, Pandora could have left the note anonymously like she did with Rhoda, this could be a clue that she marked Sam because of his involvement with Sarah and that she hoped that Sarah would find out, I guess Pandora could have just told Sam in the note that he should talk to Sarah about it but maybe that would have scared him off. Maybe instead,Pandora expected Grace to get involved and hoped she could get Sam to open up to Sarah because Grace tends to have ways of getting people to open up with each other, like Sarah and Ellen in MV5 for example.

She may just expect that Sam will eventually tell Sarah even without Grace getting involved.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

2 Friday's ago would have been the day Pandora refreshed, so it would appear that she marked Sam sometime around when she talked to Sarah and Tedd, I'd like to think she gave the mark after talking to Sarah, it wouldn't take long of course, and I don't think she seemed like she had anything else to do aside from preparing for her refresh and possibly crushing the enemies of her family, after talking to Tedd.

She MIGHT marked him between Sarah and Tedd, assuming Sam was going to sleep early.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Actually, plenty of second-hand information from Sarah. Sarah told Grace and Tedd basically everything from her first two meetings with Pandora.

Tedd likely told Sarah and Grace about Pandora visiting him as well, which is strongly implied by Tedd's similar sudden sadness at the last card tournament. I think if Sam were to ask Grace if she knew who Pandora is, Grace's best response might be "Sarah could probably explain it better the I."

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

If this was something she did for Sarah, I think there's a good change she'll remember.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She may just expect that Sam will eventually tell Sarah even without Grace getting involved.

but what are the chances that will happen, or would it just become too awkward between the two that they end up drifting apart without ever knowing. If anyone could be able to get Sam and Sarah to be open with each other, it's Grace.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She MIGHT marked him between Sarah and Tedd, assuming Sam was going to sleep early.

That's what I figure, Sarah was getting ready for bed when Pandora visited her, so assuming she was going to bed at a time most high school students are expected to by their parents, that'd be around 10pm-ish Thursday night. Pandora visited Tedd early Friday morning so after midnight, that gives Pandora at least 2 hours to do other things.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd likely told Sarah and Grace about Pandora visiting him as well, which is strongly implied by Tedd's similar sudden sadness at the last card tournament. I think if Sam were to ask Grace if she knew who Pandora is, Grace's best response might be "Sarah could probably explain it better the I."

"About", definitely. Not sure how detailed he was, but it's possible he was pretty verbose ...

Unfortunately, mentioning that Sarah knows Pandora is very close to admitting Sarah was marked by Pandora. Which might be dangerous given what spell she was marked with. If not for that, I would agree ...

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

If this was something she did for Sarah, I think there's a good change she'll remember.

Yeah. "I also marked your date, what was his name?"

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

but what are the chances that will happen, or would it just become too awkward between the two that they end up drifting apart without ever knowing. If anyone could be able to get Sam and Sarah to be open with each other, it's Grace.

Remember that Sarah has quick and tempting method to verify Sam's gender - WAIT. Damn. Is it possible Pandora marked Sam to allow him to hide his issue from Sarah?

Hmmm ... Pandora was almost omniscient. She KNEW what would be the chance with OR without Grace getting involved, unless she deliberately choose to not know. She might even cause something small and insignificant which would raise chance for good outcome. How sure are we that Sam meeting Grace at mall was truly random?

57 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

That's what I figure, Sarah was getting ready for bed when Pandora visited her, so assuming she was going to bed at a time most high school students are expected to by their parents, that'd be around 10pm-ish Thursday night. Pandora visited Tedd early Friday morning so after midnight, that gives Pandora at least 2 hours to do other things.

Not only that, but she told Sarah she has to go. Did she originally planned to talk to Tedd sooner, but was delayed by something?

Or, like, maybe Sarah was going to bed later. She's 18 and likes to sleep longer on weekends. It's possible her parents gave up on making her go to sleep around 10pm.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Unfortunately, mentioning that Sarah knows Pandora is very close to admitting Sarah was marked by Pandora. Which might be dangerous given what spell she was marked with. If not for that, I would agree ...

I think Sam knows the importance of secrets though since he''s had his own and is only telling Grace because Grace has already figured it out herself and has told Sam enough to get him to trust her. Sam tells Sarah that he's trans and been given a magic mark by Pandora and Sarah's likely going to tell Sam that she was as well.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Remember that Sarah has quick and tempting method to verify Sam's gender - WAIT. Damn. Is it possible Pandora marked Sam to allow him to hide his issue from Sarah?

Hmmm ... Pandora was almost omniscient. She KNEW what would be the chance with OR without Grace getting involved, unless she deliberately choose to not know. She might even cause something small and insignificant which would raise chance for good outcome. How sure are we that Sam meeting Grace at mall was truly random

If this happen before Pandora knew about the possible reset, we could probably think that she was trying to discredit Grace's "prophetic dreams" like how she awakened Justin so that no one would see the mark. Considering this happened when she was in the process of reconciling things, she would not do this for shits and giggles.

39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

If this happen before Pandora knew about the possible reset, we could probably think that she was trying to discredit Grace's "prophetic dreams" like how she awakened Justin so that no one would see the mark. Considering this happened when she was in the process of reconciling things, she would not do this for shits and giggles.

She was NOT trying to discredit Grace's "prophetic dreams". When she realizes Grace has any, she went directly into her dreams to catch who is giving her the dreams. When she awakened Justin, she still didn't know about those dreams. Also, it was well before she started reconciling. In fact, it was likely before the tournament. And her motivation for awakening him STILL included boredom, but more likely it was another step in her plan to make magic more open.

She likely planned to awaken ALL people she marked when it would be possible, although she missed Rhoda. Actually, it's possible she checked Justin (and others?) and awakened him BECAUSE Rhoda awakened on her own.

Or, maybe she awakened Justin because unlike others, if JUSTIN awakened imperfectly, it would alert Edward to what she was doing?

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, it was well before she started reconciling. In fact, it was likely before the tournament. And her motivation for awakening him STILL included boredom, but more likely it was another step in her plan to make magic more open.

I was referring to Pandora marking Sam while she was in the process of reconciling. My intention was to point out there'd be entirely different reasons that Pandora might have marked Sam depending of if it was before or after Adrian reminded her about Blaike. Before that point, yeah Pandora liked Sarah, and she considered Tedd and Grace practically family, but did she truly care about their well being? She might have thought her vow would keep her in line with Sarah but there's the matter that she thought she was helping Tedd and Adrian, when in fact she almost ruined things. When she last visited Sarah and Tedd, she genuinely cared.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I was referring to Pandora marking Sam while she was in the process of reconciling

Oh. I though you talked about awakening Justin.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

My intention was to point out there'd be entirely different reasons that Pandora might have marked Sam depending of if it was before or after Adrian reminded her about Blaike. Before that point, yeah Pandora liked Sarah, and she considered Tedd and Grace practically family, but did she truly care about their well being?

Yes. Usually. When she didn't forget.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

She might have thought her vow would keep her in line with Sarah but there's the matter that she thought she was helping Tedd and Adrian, when in fact she almost ruined things.

She was not exactly stable. On one hand she was almost omniscient, on the other she kept losing track of one thing due to focusing on another too much.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

When she last visited Sarah and Tedd, she genuinely cared.

And it was difficult for her.