• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday January 28, 2019

Ok.

First, Grace has no way of knowing that Pandora forgot to tell Raven where to fix the clog. Sure, her assumption makes sense, but it's just assumption - it's the commentary from Dan which actually confirms that she forgot that. Nice to know.

Second, what Sam did certainly wasn't not respecting Grace's privacy. Now, the person who was talking about her sheltered upbringing MIGHT be less specific - oh wait. Maybe he was. Grace totally didn't waited how much Sam knows about her crying.

... well, she cried JUST NOW. Not that much harm admitting it wasn't first time she cried.

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Sheltered?

The "nest" she was raised in WAS underground ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

First, Grace has no way of knowing that Pandora forgot to tell Raven where to fix the clog. Sure, her assumption makes sense, but it's just assumption - it's the commentary from Dan which actually confirms that she forgot that. Nice to know.

Grace says that Pandora was going to help fix the energy issue, and knows (from Sarah) that having Sarah use up extra energy was Step One of doing that. However, as far as Grace knows, Pandora does not seem to have gotten around to finishing the later steps before her unscheduled Regeneration interrupted her plans.

26 minutes ago, ijuin said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Grace says that Pandora was going to help fix the energy issue, and knows (from Sarah) that having Sarah use up extra energy was Step One of doing that. However, as far as Grace knows, Pandora does not seem to have gotten around to finishing the later steps before her unscheduled Regeneration interrupted her plans.

That's true. However, neither Sarah nor Grace can reasonably expects Pandora will tell them if she already told everything necessary about step two to Adrian Raven. When she last talked to Sarah she didn't mentioned anything about step 2. We know that she DID talked to Adrian Raven about it, but Sarah doesn't. So, why should she expect Pandora would tell her if she told Raven everything necessary or if something was missing? Unless Adrian mentioned it himself when talking with Sarah, she has no idea.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I think since Sarah jumped to the conclusion that Adrian was Pandora's son, and Pandora had told Sarah that she was going to talk to him on Satruday, that Adrian was likely the wizard that Pandora was going to have remove the clog and that it was going to be done Saturday. Sarah certainly would have passed that info along to Grace and Tedd, and since Pandora was reset/refreshed on Friday, it'd be easy for Sarah to also conclude that Pandora never got the chance to do what she had planned.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Second, what Sam did certainly wasn't not respecting Grace's privacy. Now, the person who was talking about her sheltered upbringing MIGHT be less specific - oh wait. Maybe he was. Grace totally didn't waited how much Sam knows about her crying.

I think we only saw what, 1-2, 3-4(the blonde in the white shirt was seen in the previous link), 4 students aside from Ellen and Grace in the history class? What are the chances of it being one of them? Victor has been mentioned later so he already has reccurring character potential (also being named helps a bit), would he consider not answering Sam's inquiries about Grace a form of censorship?

Maybe the people Sam asked were thinking that Sam liked Grace and was trying to build up the courage to ask her out. Wouldn't be the first time someone's done that.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Unless Adrian mentioned it himself when talking with Sarah, she has no idea.

Well it has been over a week since the incident, Dan's also said he's going to address this again later and Sarah's talk with Adrian is something I really want to see, so it would seem likely that Sarah asked Adrian about the clog and was told that he had no clue where it was or how exactly to remove it. Do you think Adrian would has instructed Sarah to continue using her spell in the meantime to keep the ambient energy relatively low so that it'd be less likely to attract monsters?

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think we only saw what, 1-2, 3-4(the blonde in the white shirt was seen in the previous link), 4 students aside from Ellen and Grace in the history class? What are the chances of it being one of them? Victor has been mentioned later so he already has reccurring character potential (also being named helps a bit), would he consider not answering Sam's inquiries about Grace a form of censorship?

I forgot to link where Victor was also mentioned.

I didn't realize it before, but the orange haired girl with the green sweater that was seen in history class was also present in math class when Grace first introduced herself, so she can be another possibility if she happens to be into comics and games.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Victor has been mentioned later so he already has reccurring character potential

Ah, yes, Victor von Hip, the King of Pamphlets. Somehow Sarah had one of his pamphlets on the same day Grace met Victor, even though Sarah goes to a different high school. Gee, maybe Victor even printed the pamphlets Adrian was passing out on that fateful Friday Susan first met her great-by-who-knows-how-many-times grandfather.

Next thing you know we'll be hearing again about Randal.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

From the commentary: " Okay, once and for all: There is no Randal. The first panel is Elliot sleepily and inexplicably referencing the movie Clerks. " ;)

There are, however, people holding on for the return of Phill.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think since Sarah jumped to the conclusion that Adrian was Pandora's son, and Pandora had told Sarah that she was going to talk to him on Satruday, that Adrian was likely the wizard that Pandora was going to have remove the clog and that it was going to be done Saturday. Sarah certainly would have passed that info along to Grace and Tedd, and since Pandora was reset/refreshed on Friday, it'd be easy for Sarah to also conclude that Pandora never got the chance to do what she had planned.

.... hmmm ... well it wouldn't be first case of conclusion jumping ...

I think we only saw what, 1-2, 3-4(the blonde in the white shirt was seen in the previous link), 4 students aside from Ellen and Grace in the history class? What are the chances of it being one of them?

Dan only showing 4 students doesn't mean there weren't more students in the class. It's ten years and he just said Grace put him off-script. It's possible he doesn't have anyone prepared for that role.

... also, it's likely the person will never be mentioned again, much less shown.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Unless Adrian mentioned it himself when talking with Sarah, she has no idea.

Well it has been over a week since the incident, Dan's also said he's going to address this again later and Sarah's talk with Adrian is something I really want to see, so it would seem likely that Sarah asked Adrian about the clog and was told that he had no clue where it was or how exactly to remove it. Do you think Adrian would has instructed Sarah to continue using her spell in the meantime to keep the ambient energy relatively low so that it'd be less likely to attract monsters?

Or Sarah is going to ask Adrian about it next time - it's possible them talking wasn't one-time event.

... and I would expect Sarah doesn't need anyone telling her to keep using the spell. First, she's clever enough to realize it's going to lower the chance of monster problems herself. Second, she likes her spell.

On 28/01/2019 at 7:05 AM, Tom Sewell said:

Sheltered?

For a given value of 'sheltered.' One that includes massive amounts of abuse, physical and psychological torture as well as extremely traumatic experiences.

'Sheltered' is the polite version.

This strip and thread got me thinking about Grace's cover story... On the one hand, it would be easier to remember and give people a better understanding of Grace if the cover story was as close to the truth as possible without breaking the masqurade (I'm not sure how you'd deal with the childhood in a lab part, but the "raised by an abusive kidnapper" part works fine if you leave out his powers and plans for world domination). On the other hand, it wouldn't really be fair to expect Grace to tell everyone she was abused, and I'm glad Mr. Verres didn't ask that of her.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

This strip and thread got me thinking about Grace's cover story... On the one hand, it would be easier to remember and give people a better understanding of Grace if the cover story was as close to the truth as possible without breaking the masqurade (I'm not sure how you'd deal with the childhood in a lab part, but the "raised by an abusive kidnapper" part works fine if you leave out his powers and plans for world domination). On the other hand, it wouldn't really be fair to expect Grace to tell everyone she was abused, and I'm glad Mr. Verres didn't ask that of her.

I think Grace would have been treated differently if her story included mentions of abuse. Like with just being sheltered, people only know that Grace won't get certain references or societal whatchamacallits, and we saw the 2 common reactions on Grace's first day of school, ridicule (which Ellen promptly shut down) and sympathy. Add abuse to it and you may get people that might be inclined to give Grace special treatment like she some fragile person or something. I feel that leaving that out helps Grace in that she's not being constantly reminded of what she went through, and is allowed to focus on more positive things. She hasn't forgotten it, but she doesn't seem to be dwelling on it nearly as much as before.

8 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

For a given value of 'sheltered.' One that includes massive amounts of abuse, physical and psychological torture as well as extremely traumatic experiences.

Only bit of luck in that is that Damien didn't get to the sexual abuse. Although he planned it.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Considering how she recited her cover story, I'm pretty sure if someone would mention abuse people would be like "oh, so that bit about old lady was cover story to allow her to stop thinking about it all the time, that makes sense".

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

I think Grace would have been treated differently if her story included mentions of abuse. Like with just being sheltered, people only know that Grace won't get certain references or societal whatchamacallits, and we saw the 2 common reactions on Grace's first day of school, ridicule (which Ellen promptly shut down) and sympathy. Add abuse to it and you may get people that might be inclined to give Grace special treatment like she some fragile person or something.

Well, she is. Even Jerry commented about that.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I feel that leaving that out helps Grace in that she's not being constantly reminded of what she went through, and is allowed to focus on more positive things. She hasn't forgotten it, but she doesn't seem to be dwelling on it nearly as much as before.

... yup, it's definitely better for her. Generally, treating someone as fragile can easily be counterproductive as she NOTICES people are treating her as fragile ...

26 minutes ago, Scotty said:
30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think she has taken Jerry's advice to heart though.

... I'm not entirely sure she stopped repressing stuff, but considering habits are hard to break ... yeah, it would make sense that she took the advice to heart and is trying to stop repressing.