• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story, Wednesday January 30, 2019

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:
18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Note that Adrian DIDN'T take an interest in Nanase - he reacted stronger to Grace and Ellen than to her. IMHO he was specifically warned by Mrs. Kitsune to not try anything with her.

Adrian had taken interest in Nanase, as well as believing that Justin had potential, he was quite pleased that Ellen and Nanase were friends as well.

Not really. I mean, Nanase didn't mentioned herself when she talked about Justin and Noah being Raven's favorites. And this is actually completely consistent with the fact that he knows Nanase has talent but was forbidden to do anything with it ... or maybe not forbidden but just too guilty ... but forbidden is more likely, as his reaction to Nanase and Ellen knowing each other might've been "hey, I'm not allowed to teach Nanase directly, but I can get to her indirectly through Ellen".

Just now, hkmaly said:

Not really. I mean, Nanase didn't mentioned herself when she talked about Justin and Noah being Raven's favorites. I mean, this is actually completely consistent with the fact that he knows Nanase has talent but was forbidden to do anything with it ... or maybe not forbidden but just too guilty ... but his reaction to Nanase and Ellen knowing each other might've been "hey, I'm not allowed to teach Nanase directly, but I can get to her indirectly through Ellen".

I think the "Mr Raven likes you, too?" is enough to imply reference to herself before adding Justin and Noah to the list.

Just because Adrian isn't actively teaching Nanase the ways of Magic doesn't me he hasn't taken specific interest in her, he may just be forbidden from teaching her magic but not forbidden from ensure Nanase excels at her studies in school, he may even be following guidlines laid out by Mama Kistune to keep things consistent. I would expect Adrian still has a need to maintain a level of safety for the students at MSHS and that would likely include keeping an eye on potential magic users and make sure none of them show signs of becoming a danger, if he believe Nanases is a good influence, then anyone associating with her is likely doing to turn out good.

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Pandora implied that Mama Kitsune could have been as powerful as Noriko if she tried, which suggest that Mama Kistune didn't take it seriously, if she does know magic, it's quite limited, or she didn't even train long enough to awaken.

I dislike the notion that she doesn't take it seriously. I personally think that she does and that this is precisely why she has refused to practice magic. She either fears or distrusts magic so strongly that she has refused to take it up, and she does not strike me as a very fearful woman.

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Just because Adrian isn't actively teaching Nanase the ways of Magic doesn't me he hasn't taken specific interest in her, he may just be forbidden from teaching her magic but not forbidden from ensure Nanase excels at her studies in school, he may even be following guidlines laid out by Mama Kistune to keep things consistent.

Any of these, with the added possibility that he is withholding himself from interfering with Nanase because of his feelings of guilt over what happened when he tutored Edward Verres and Noriko.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

I dislike the notion that she doesn't take it seriously. I personally think that she does and that this is precisely why she has refused to practice magic. She either fears or distrusts magic so strongly that she has refused to take it up, and she does not strike me as a very fearful woman.

She likely takes it seriously after what happened between Edward and Noriko and the fact that Nanase's become a magic user, but yeah, she probably made a conscious decision to not take up magic herself because she didn't want that lifestyle.

But as a teenager? "PFFFFT! That stuff's for losers!"

5 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Any of these, with the added possibility that he is withholding himself from interfering with Nanase because of his feelings of guilt over what happened when he tutored Edward Verres and Noriko.

We saw how he had to reign himself in when he considered the possibility of teaching Grace alongside Noah.

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Just because Adrian isn't actively teaching Nanase the ways of Magic doesn't me he hasn't taken specific interest in her, he may just be forbidden from teaching her magic but not forbidden from ensure Nanase excels at her studies in school, he may even be following guidlines laid out by Mama Kistune to keep things consistent.

True.

11 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Hinted at this.

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I would expect Adrian still has a need to maintain a level of safety for the students at MSHS and that would likely include keeping an eye on potential magic users and make sure none of them show signs of becoming a danger, if he believe Nanases is a good influence, then anyone associating with her is likely doing to turn out good.

... wait. I was thinking about Adrian protecting the students, but never though about protecting them FROM EACH OTHER. You may have point.

On the other hand, I suspect he tries to put all magic users in school together so they can protect each other. I mean, it MIGHT've been coincidence he put Rhoda and Grace together ... or he knew Rhoda has magic.

11 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Pandora implied that Mama Kitsune could have been as powerful as Noriko if she tried, which suggest that Mama Kistune didn't take it seriously, if she does know magic, it's quite limited, or she didn't even train long enough to awaken.

I think she was studying just as Noriko in past - in fact, Adrian might not been her teacher just in history - but stopped if not practicing at least training when Noriko left. Meaning, she might already be awakened, but she has much less spells than Noriko. Pandora said could have been equally powerful, that doesn't mean she isn't awakened, just that she's less powerful.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah. Also that it took him a while.

Note that he specifically changed mind earlier due to Grace's connection to Tedd, but Nanase also has connection to Tedd so that would apply as well.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

it MIGHT've been coincidence he put Rhoda and Grace together ... or he knew Rhoda has magic.

Rhoda wasn't marked until after she was assigned to Grace as a tutor, I think it was just that their personalities were similar. Pandora also assumed Rhoda was a weak talent, I'd find it hard to believe her son would determine otherwise.

I haven't necessarily read all of every post...

Mamase has clearly been trying to steer Nanase toward being a proper Japanese housewife (in America - she better accept some variation, even if she mostly gets her way!) and away from magic, through most of Nanase's life. Letting her hang out with a wizard like Edward would not support that aim...

...on the other hand, no-magic cousin Tedd would be safe in that regard.

Tedd has associated with Nanase often enough, and recently enough, that he developed the "ugly cousin!" defense against the fact that his cousin was shaping up to be seriously hot. This typically happens in the age bracket when the boy has noticed that girls are interesting but hasn't yet figured out why.

Also, he's associated with her often enough recently enough that he recognized her by name and hair color, and also the first in-comic time he saw her in person.

Of course, this defense would not exactly make Nanase think nice thoughts about Tedd. Even more so considering that it started when she probably was going through a typical early-adolescent bout of body-conscious insecurity. (I've observed, indirectly, that the young female body starts developing adult features at one of two times from the point of view of the person living in that body: too soon, or not soon enough. Both cause the insecurity I'm referring to.)

So, more recently prior to the comic start, they've probably seen each other less often than when they were, oh, ten years old. Particularly since he started spending a lot of time on the TFG.

Now, they are interacting a lot for other reasons, and Mamase has given up on the keep-Nanase-away-from-magic plan.

(Which is a good thing for many reasons. Besides the fact that it had obviously become hopeless... there's a truism in several universes that an untrained mage is a danger to himself and everyone in the vicinity.)

17 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

(Which is a good thing for many reasons. Besides the fact that it had obviously become hopeless... there's a truism in several universes that an untrained mage is a danger to himself and everyone in the vicinity.)

I can't offhand think of any story universe containing magic where this isn't a thing save possibly the Xanth stories by Piers Anthony. Of course, in some universes this is more true than others.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

We don't know the exact context of Edward's comments, they come off as transphobic but there could be other reasons he'd say them and he could be ignorant either way as well.

Two non-transphobic possibilities:

1: Edward may feel that Tedd has experienced more than enough bullying and is merely trying to prevent his child from becoming an even greater bully magnet.

2: Tedd's more feminine girl-forms remind him WAY too much of how Noriko looked when he first met her, and thus trigger memories and emotions that he'd rather not associate with his child.

Just now, ijuin said:

Two non-transphobic possibilities:

1: Edward may feel that Tedd has experienced more than enough bullying and is merely trying to prevent his child from becoming an even greater bully magnet.

2: Tedd's more feminine girl-forms remind him WAY too much of how Noriko looked when he first met her, and thus trigger memories and emotions that he'd rather not associate with his child.

Maybe there's a third option:  Edward believes that Tedd playing with the TFG like that has lead Tedd to wanting to make magic safer for everyone. Which might lead to the question of if Edward has now given up on that since Arthur has made it Tedd's job to make magic safer for everyone.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Some of Mama Kitsune's homophobia would stem from fear of Nanase breaking tradition if Mama Kitsune was raised to understand the importance of continuing the family line and all that. She might not think homosexuals is insanity*, but it's a disruption of the kind of family she thought she had so the reaction isn't much different.

*And yeah we haven't seen Ms Pompoms in a while but the statement she made seemed to imply homophobia towards males only but that could be the result of having a cheating husband, which kinda matches up with Diane's perceived homophobia as a result of her experience with Rick since it apparently only really applied to men and she was just in denial (or maybe afraid of what Lucy and Rhoda might think of her) about liking girls.

21 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I would rather style that heterophobia. If males stuck with males and women with women Mrs. Pompoms would no doubt be quite content with the outcome.

My thinking is that Ms Pompoms dislikes men so much she doesn't see why anybody (male or female) would want to be in a relationship with one.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And if Edward does not do that well before Tedd is capable of surviving on his own, Edward may face old age on his own.

Tedd's got friends who will help him survive if it comes to that.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

it MIGHT've been coincidence he put Rhoda and Grace together ... or he knew Rhoda has magic.

Rhoda wasn't marked until after she was assigned to Grace as a tutor, I think it was just that their personalities were similar. Pandora also assumed Rhoda was a weak talent, I'd find it hard to believe her son would determine otherwise.

Rhoda was probably marked in May and used her power first in Death Sentence. Her being Grace's history tutor is ALSO first mentioned in Death Sentence, IMHO. ... but yes, it seems likely they know each other longer.

20 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Which is a good thing for many reasons. Besides the fact that it had obviously become hopeless... there's a truism in several universes that an untrained mage is a danger to himself and everyone in the vicinity.

And that's not counting in the fact she is target for anyone wanting to take revenge on Noriko, like Not-Tengu.

... on the other hand ...

20 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Mamase has clearly been trying to steer Nanase toward being a proper Japanese housewife

... is it normal Japanese housewife knows martial arts? I think Mamase approves that. The trilingual part might also not be exactly necessary for housewife. Or that 4.0 GPA, whatever that is. So, either that homemaker thing was not entirely true, or Mamase has weird idea about what that means.

... it's entirely possible she's training her according to family tradition except the magic, completely missing the fact that that training WAS related to becoming monster hunter. Or, she would prefer her to NOT become monster hunter, but if she happens to became one anyway, she must be the best monster hunter .... (also, raises her chance surviving it).

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

My thinking is that Ms Pompoms dislikes men so much she doesn't see why anybody (male or female) would want to be in a relationship with one.

Agree.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And if Edward does not do that well before Tedd is capable of surviving on his own, Edward may face old age on his own.

Tedd's got friends who will help him survive if it comes to that.

Edward also has friends ... important friends ...  but somehow I don't think it will be enough.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Rhoda was probably marked in May and used her power first in Death Sentence. Her being Grace's history tutor is ALSO first mentioned in Death Sentence, IMHO. ... but yes, it seems likely they know each other longer.

Based on what Pandora left on the note to Rhoda, it would seem she marked Rhoda just moments before the boar charged at her if not while the boar was chasing.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Edward also has friends ... important friends ...  but somehow I don't think it will be enough.

If you're implying that Edward would bring in the FBI to force Tedd to comply, I fearfully expect all hell to break loose.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Based on what Pandora left on the note to Rhoda, it would seem she marked Rhoda just moments before the boar charged at her if not while the boar was chasing.

That note only indicate that Pandora marked her when she already knew she will be attacked by the boar. That might easily be hour before - clairvoyant, remember? But, yes, almost certainly the same day, as otherwise she would likely use the spell earlier.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

If you're implying that Edward would bring in the FBI to force Tedd to comply, I fearfully expect all hell to break loose.

I don't think those friends would help him with THAT. I was implying that he may not be completely alone when old, but at the same time that having some friends wouldn't really be as good as being on speaking terms with his daugher. Son. Whatever.

That said, I would expect if he DID tried to force Tedd to comply, the resulting collateral damage would be quite massive. After all, look at Lord Tedd.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:16 PM, hkmaly said:

I still think his concerns that TF gun has sideefects are if not well-founded at least legitimate. Sure, it seems that Tedd was always genderfluid and Elliot always gender-meh, but I'm also sure if the TF gun (or more exactly the CMD) made people more genderfluid Uryuoms would interpret it as feature.

Sarah, on the other hand, seems to feel that becoming a bisexual boy frequently has moved her further along the Kinsey Scale.  And I'm not so sure that Elliot hasn't evolved in his gender and orientation thanks to his frequent transformations.  Maybe everyone is really bi and fluid, and transforming helps them to realize this, but I hate absolutes and applying generalizations broadly.  Or, maybe they were both very different from their initial self-image all along, and transforming just helped them realize it....although come to think of it I'm not sure how different those two positions are.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:10 AM, The Old Hack said:

as well as Mr. Verres and his insistence that Tedd's genderfluidity isn't healthy for him... which has undermined Tedd's trust for him to the point where he is starting to keep secrets from him.

I don't think Edward thinks anything about Tedd's being genderfluid, because I doubt Edward has ever heard of that term.  Tedd only learned it a couple of weeks ago, and the younger generation tends to be much more savvy and accepting about gender and orientation issues and diversity than their parents.  Edward says he's worried that frequent transformations aren't good for Tedd, and I think that's all Edward sees -- his son playing around with transformations, far more frequently than any non-Uryuom has before, maybe even more frequently than many Uryuom!

On 1/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, hkmaly said:

I think she was studying just as Noriko in past - in fact, Adrian might not been her teacher just in history - but stopped if not practicing at least training when Noriko left. Meaning, she might already be awakened, but she has much less spells than Noriko. Pandora said could have been equally powerful, that doesn't mean she isn't awakened, just that she's less powerful.

Agreed.  I could easily believe a storyline where Mamase has to save her daughter(s) from danger by using some sort of magic.  It would make for a great reveal, and I can almost see the look on Nanase's face!

On 1/31/2019 at 5:27 PM, hkmaly said:

Or that 4.0 GPA, whatever that is.

GPA, or Grade Point Average, is a feature of the United States school system. It is a single number that is arrived at by assigning a point value to the letter-grade of each class a student takes, and then taking the mean value. Generally, an A is worth 4 points, a B is worth 3, a C is worth 2, a D is worth 1, and a failing mark is worth 0. Thus, a 4.0 average usually implies a straight-A student (i.e. one who always got full marks). Some school districts allow for extra credit or Advanced Placement classes (which teach college-level material and thus are worth college credit) to receive an extra point, so an A would be worth 5 points, which allows for some students to get 4.0 with slightly less than perfect grades, or to occasionally get a total GPA between 4.0 and 4.5 depending on the number of such "extra point" classes taken.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't think Edward thinks anything about Tedd's being genderfluid, because I doubt Edward has ever heard of that term.

It hardly matters if he uses the correct term or not. Tedd transforms due to being genderfluid. Edward believes the transformations are somehow potentially harmful to Tedd. Thus his attitude is fueled by Tedd's gender fluidity. It is entirely irrelevant whether either he or Tedd uses the correct term in this case.

Edward may also be committing the classic reverse-cause-and-effect fallacy, believing that the transformations are causing the nonbinary sense of self, similar to how some parents believe that exposure to homosexual activity would "make a person gay".

20 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Edward may also be committing the classic reverse-cause-and-effect fallacy, believing that the transformations are causing the nonbinary sense of self, similar to how some parents believe that exposure to homosexual activity would "make a person gay".

On a related note...

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/anti-gay-blogger-roosh-liking-female-butts-gateway-being-gay/#gs.RygLA5vO

WARNING: Do not click the above link if you are allergic to severe stupid.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm getting a headache just looking at the link...

It will get worse if you read even as far as the headline.

Knowing who Roosh is is enough to make me not click it.