• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

NP Friday February 1, 2019

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Sarah?

Six Million Dollars.

Keep Focused.

Sarah: "Can I take these scales home with me?"

Nanase: "No."

Sarah: "Why?"

Nanase: "Because those scales need to be linked to two people in order to work, and I don't want to wind up looking like a stick figure in the middle of negotiating a contract"

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Sarah: "Can I take these scales home with me?"

Nanase: "No."

Sarah: "Why?"

Nanase: "Because those scales need to be linked to two people in order to work, and I don't want to wind up looking like a stick figure in the middle of negotiating a contract"

I was actually thinking that maybe Nanase and Sarah would give Diane the artifact at the end of the dungeon, and keep the scales for themselves.

40 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I was actually thinking that maybe Nanase and Sarah would give Diane the artifact at the end of the dungeon, and keep the scales for themselves.

Diane did say that Nanase could keep everything else she found, and the scales are probably the only thing worth taking. But that is assuming they are able to take the scales out with them, maybe the artifact at the end is the only thing that can be removed as a reward for getting through the puzzles and everything else resets for the next group of adventurers.

There's still the aforementioned problem of how they get used later if they did take them.

16 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

The Six Million Dollars Sarah.

Will she become a super powerful cyborg next?

After forty years of inflation, the price has probably gone up. The currently-in-development movie has the title "The Six Billion Dollar Man".

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

After forty years of inflation, the price has probably gone up. The currently-in-development movie has the title "The Six Billion Dollar Man".

Wow. You could buy a wall for that much money. As long as you don't try to do it with other people's money.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find a woman badly in need of a breast reduction, but unable to afford it or too afraid of surgery.  Only question is, can you make an exchange and then un-link without undoung the exchange?  Or would you have to pick one person, and then carefully stash the scales somewhere they won't ever get jostled or knocked over?

44 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find a woman badly in need of a breast reduction, but unable to afford it or too afraid of surgery.  Only question is, can you make an exchange and then un-link without undoung the exchange?  Or would you have to pick one person, and then carefully stash the scales somewhere they won't ever get jostled or knocked over?

It seems kind of unnecessary when it would probably take Tedd like five minutes to make a wand that could do the same thing. *scratches head*

Maybe slightly longer if it were intended to be a general cosmetic adjustment wand meant to have a permanent effect.

13 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
59 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

It seems kind of unnecessary when it would probably take Tedd like five minutes to make a wand that could do the same thing. *scratches head*

Maybe slightly longer if it were intended to be a general cosmetic adjustment wand meant to have a permanent effect.

While true, Tedd is in different universe. Or at least our Tedd and we have no idea if their Tedd is Seer.

On 02/02/2019 at 4:16 PM, ChronosCat said:

IS there artifact at the end of the dungeon?

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

While true, Tedd is in different universe. Or at least our Tedd and we have no idea if their Tedd is Seer.

I dunno. Is a noncanon story even in any universe at all? If it were, then it would definitionally be canon in that universe. Unless it is a noncanon universe...

My head hurts. I am going to go lie down now.

27 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I dunno. Is a noncanon story even in any universe at all? If it were, then it would definitionally be canon in that universe. Unless it is a noncanon universe...

It must be universe. What else would it be if not universe?

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

My head hurts. I am going to go lie down now.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I dunno. A multiverse?

Most stories are canon to themselves (the only exceptions I can think of is when there's no fourth wall or there's a lot of meta-narrative going on), and any such story can be said to have it's own fictional "universe". Some story-universe exist as parts of larger story-multiverses, or (like the main EGS story) contain a multiverse within their fictional world. However, the universes and multiverses of fiction are often not canon to one another.

I'd say the world of Nanase Craft works as a fictional universe; the question is, "Is it part of the multiverse seen in the main EGS story?" In other words, it's canon to itself, but is it canon to the main story of EGS? It's hard to say for sure, but Dan hasn't included any parody worlds among the confirmed "canon-to-main" alternate universes so far, so my guess is "no".

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

IS there artifact at the end of the dungeon?

Perhaps the tunnel is just a red herring and the scales ARE the artifact?

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Most stories are canon to themselves (the only exceptions I can think of is when there's no fourth wall or there's a lot of meta-narrative going on), and any such story can be said to have it's own fictional "universe". Some story-universe exist as parts of larger story-multiverses, or (like the main EGS story) contain a multiverse within their fictional world. However, the universes and multiverses of fiction are often not canon to one another.

I'd say the world of Nanase Craft works as a fictional universe; the question is, "Is it part of the multiverse seen in the main EGS story?" In other words, it's canon to itself, but is it canon to the main story of EGS? It's hard to say for sure, but Dan hasn't included any parody worlds among the confirmed "canon-to-main" alternate universes so far, so my guess is "no".

Dan hasn't shown the Canon Cannon, so it's probably not a "real" alternate from the perspective of our usual cast.

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

Dan hasn't shown the Canon Cannon, so it's probably not a "real" alternate from the perspective of our usual cast.

They can still be an alternate reality, it just doesn't happen to be tied to the main story by a plot device like Lord Tedd, Beta, Magus or Second Life.

I think Goonmanji 2 is the only one I can't explain how it would be an AU

10 hours ago, ijuin said:

Perhaps the tunnel is just a red herring and the scales ARE the artifact?

Well, the scales might be the artifact, but if Nanase and Sarah are going to give the crypt a good rating they still need to be able to recover their lost clothing; presumably they would be at the end of the tunnel.

10 hours ago, ijuin said:

I'd thought of that, but so far he's only brought it out for stuff in the main universe. He might have thought it too confusing to bring it out for an alternate universe that isn't likely to be seen in the main story until some grand alternate-universe-crossover story that we won't be seeing for many years (if ever). (That said, I do still think it more likely it isn't canon - I'm just saying the lack of the canon isn't proof.)

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

They can still be an alternate reality, it just doesn't happen to be tied to the main story by a plot device like Lord Tedd, Beta, Magus or Second Life.

I think Goonmanji 2 is the only one I can't explain how it would be an AU

So, this is mostly speculation and personal head-canon here, but this is how I see it:

There is the "Main EGS Multiverse" - the universe the main story is usually about, as well as those connected to it; this multiverse seems to be what Dan is talking about when he says whether something is canon.

Then there are stand-alone universes like AF04, Grace-a-Monsters, and Nanase Craft, which could fit into the EGS multiverse but haven't been confirmed as part of it. There's a good chance they are intended to be separate stories just sharing the same characters, but until there's something in canon saying otherwise I'm going to think of them as part of the EGS multiverse anyway.

Finally, there is the "Non-canon universe", a world where the cast of EGS are actors playing roles in stories. Some of the Sketchbook images and strips show this world, with the characters not playing any roles. These actors are playing those parts even in the main story; the fourth-wall breaking moments are when they break character (this is my preferred explanation for Matt and Ratt - they were not very cooperative actors and refused to follow the script). Squirrel Dan lives in that world, where he has great powers (though I haven't quite figured out how my "actors" head-canon meshes with the scenes early on where Squirrel Dan was watching other universes through computer monitors and even had buttons that could affect those worlds).

The Goonmanji stories are in a strange half-way place between the "Non-cannon Universe" and the universe the actors in it portray. The best explanation I can come up with is that the cast are roleplaying as their canon selves without a pre-written script for them to follow, hence the tattered but sometimes still there fourth wall.

25 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Finally, there is the "Non-canon universe", a world where the cast of EGS are actors playing roles in stories. Some of the Sketchbook images and strips show this world, with the characters not playing any roles. These actors are playing those parts even in the main story; the fourth-wall breaking moments are when they break character (this is my preferred explanation for Matt and Ratt - they were not very cooperative actors and refused to follow the script). Squirrel Dan lives in that world, where he has great powers (though I haven't quite figured out how my "actors" head-canon meshes with the scenes early on where Squirrel Dan was watching other universes through computer monitors and even had buttons that could affect those worlds).

The Goonmanji stories are in a strange half-way place between the "Non-cannon Universe" and the universe the actors in it portray. The best explanation I can come up with is that the cast are roleplaying as their canon selves without a pre-written script for them to follow, hence the tattered but sometimes still there fourth wall.

I kinda thought about the "actors playing roles AU" but my idea fell apart when Rhoda described that she couldn't do the "shrink-stretch-grab-pull-enlarge" sequence that fast in canon.

Maybe this is part of the test of the cave.  Will the one who has always wanted a better figure be willing to give back the luscious curves, or will she keep a little extra for herself when the time comes to rebalance back to normal?

On 2/3/2019 at 6:57 PM, The Old Hack said:
On 2/3/2019 at 6:56 PM, hkmaly said:

I dunno. A multiverse?

Only things which can be directly inside multiverse are universes and other multiverses.

(Hmmm ... or maybe not just "other"?)

On 2/3/2019 at 8:39 PM, ChronosCat said:

I'd say the world of Nanase Craft works as a fictional universe; the question is, "Is it part of the multiverse seen in the main EGS story?"

What makes you think this is specific to fictional universes?

Every story needs to be happening in some universe. We just tend to call other universes we only know from stories we hear/read fictional. From their point of view, OUR universe is fictional. (For example, see "The Science of Discworld" from Pratchett.)

On 2/4/2019 at 6:23 PM, ChronosCat said:
On 2/4/2019 at 7:02 AM, ijuin said:

I'd thought of that, but so far he's only brought it out for stuff in the main universe. He might have thought it too confusing to bring it out for an alternate universe that isn't likely to be seen in the main story until some grand alternate-universe-crossover story that we won't be seeing for many years (if ever). (That said, I do still think it more likely it isn't canon - I'm just saying the lack of the canon isn't proof.)

And he would be RIGHT about it being too confusing. Canon cannon is reserved for canon-in-main-universe ... even Q&A are not canon-cannon worthy.

On 2/4/2019 at 6:23 PM, ChronosCat said:

There is the "Main EGS Multiverse" - the universe the main story is usually about, as well as those connected to it; this multiverse seems to be what Dan is talking about when he says whether something is canon.

Then there are stand-alone universes like AF04, Grace-a-Monsters, and Nanase Craft, which could fit into the EGS multiverse but haven't been confirmed as part of it. There's a good chance they are intended to be separate stories just sharing the same characters, but until there's something in canon saying otherwise I'm going to think of them as part of the EGS multiverse anyway.

It doesn't matter how they are INTENDED. Those two are not in conflict.

On 2/4/2019 at 6:54 PM, Scotty said:

I kinda thought about the "actors playing roles AU" but my idea fell apart when Rhoda described that she couldn't do the "shrink-stretch-grab-pull-enlarge" sequence that fast in canon.

If it's "actors playing roles", the magic is definitely NOT part of role. Which raises question what IS part of role?

Wait ... maybe nothing. Maybe the character is real and the story is real ...

Consider this: non-canon Rhoda is playing her younger self in documentary about the return of magic into their world. (Just like others, except some extras like Damien who obviously can't play himself, being dead ...)

She can do that sequence because she has years and years of additional practice compared to canon Rhoda.

Note that there is no issue with actors looking older than characters because even the ones who don't have transformation spell themselves can be transformed by TF gun.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:43 PM, CritterKeeper said:

Maybe this is part of the test of the cave.  Will the one who has always wanted a better figure be willing to give back the luscious curves, or will she keep a little extra for herself when the time comes to rebalance back to normal?

The real test is if those two will be able to keep cooperating. It doesn't matter if she will or won't be willing to give it back ; what matters is that if Nanase would suspect she won't and wouldn't want to accept that, they will start to fight and stop cooperating.