• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Smokey's reaction reminds me of a spoiled child who is disappointed when served a homemade burger right off the charcoal grill and not the McD cheeseburger they expected.

Having said that, Grace should have included the spines.
It is unfortunate that so many articles of clothing intended for humans include a back.  Such garments do not tend to stand up to retractable spines well.

I am thinking that perhaps Smoke is able to sense some difference between human-style magical "spells" and Grace's Uryuom/Lespuko transformations. Remember, Grace is different even from most Greater Seyunolu because her Lespuko genes allow her to seamlessly mix and match attributes. The change in Smoke's pupils for panels 2-3 also resembles Dan's style for showing characters activating a "special vision mode", so he may have some sort of magical sight that is giving him information.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Smokey's reaction reminds me of a spoiled child who is disappointed when served a homemade burger right off the charcoal grill and not the McD cheeseburger they expected.

Having said that, Grace should have included the spines.
It is unfortunate that so many articles of clothing intended for humans include a back.  Such garments do not tend to stand up to retractable spines well.

The spines like we saw in Hammerchlorians wouldn't have destroyed or even damaged her clothes. The fact that she doesn't only has them sporadically suggests that they only appear as part of the form if she is either enraged or feeling a heightened sense of urgency and danger, as they disappear shortly after the danger has passed (the hammerchlorians link shows both). Of course why we didn't see spines when Grace and Elliot transformed to rush into the Dojo or when Grace appeared after Not_Tengu was taken down, I dunno for sure, maybe those instances weren't urgent enough, or maybe the Hammerchlorian's instance was an engraged kind of moment because Grace had tripped as the others ran in and that made Grace even more anxious about her friends' safety.

Huh.  Does Smoke have two abilities?  Has he Awoken?  Or is he a Wizard or Seer?  He seems to be using a Magic-Sight ability like Tedd or Luke have, and he's also transformed to smoke.  If he's a Wizard he could have picked it up from watching Luke.  If he's a Seer he would need to have been unqualified, either knowing a Seer's purpose or not having used magic yet, and I don't see how either of those could be the case, given our timeline.

So, I'm calling it -- Smoke wasn't just looking for kicks, he wanted to add new transformations to his collection of spells.  But he can't learn Grace's type of magic.

1 hour ago, Baldrickk said:

I can honestly say that I was expecting something a little more tame - more squirrely. (No antenna, one tail, plain fur pattern...)

This seems a bit too forward/revealing

Compare Grace's expressions in Monday's comic to this one, and then to her expressions back in Family Ties when she confronts Not-Tengu. Grace is angry, so we might see spikes and horns yet.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

Huh.  Does Smoke have two abilities?  Has he Awoken?  Or is he a Wizard or Seer?  He seems to be using a Magic-Sight ability like Tedd or Luke have, and he's also transformed to smoke.  If he's a Wizard he could have picked it up from watching Luke.  If he's a Seer he would need to have been unqualified, either knowing a Seer's purpose or not having used magic yet, and I don't see how either of those could be the case, given our timeline.

So, I'm calling it -- Smoke wasn't just looking for kicks, he wanted to add new transformations to his collection of spells.  But he can't learn Grace's type of magic.

Can't be a Seer or else Tedd wouldn't have been the first person to blind Luke. And Camdin and Luke's conversation doesn't suggest Camdin having more than one ability, so he is likely the one marked with the smoke symbol, whether he's awoken is uncertain, there's nothing to suggest if he is or not, and I'm leaning towards the belief that being marked or awoken by immortals produces a different kind of magic user than someone who specifically trains as a wizard (like Nanase could have been a wizard if not for Helena and Demetrius awakening her) I've submitted this as a Q&A question on patreon though so hopefully Dan sees it and answers it.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Can't be a Seer or else Tedd wouldn't have been the first person to blind Luke. And Camdin and Luke's conversation doesn't suggest Camdin having more than one ability, so he is likely the one marked with the smoke symbol, whether he's awoken is uncertain, there's nothing to suggest if he is or not, and I'm leaning towards the belief that being marked or awoken by immortals produces a different kind of magic user than someone who specifically trains as a wizard (like Nanase could have been a wizard if not for Helena and Demetrius awakening her) I've submitted this as a Q&A question on patreon though so hopefully Dan sees it and answers it.

From what we've seen of Camdin, I'm not so sure he'd tell Luke that he could learn other people's spells.  I could definitely see him using Luke's ability to look at people and see their magic, and then if he wanted to discuss someone in particular with Luke, saying, "Hey, check that person, could you?  No?  How about that one?  And that one?  Bingo!"

That change in the pupils is exactly what Luke and Tedd do to see magic.  His being a Wizard would explain it, and it's about time we saw a non-government, non-Seer, plain old everyday Wizard!

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

I am thinking that perhaps Smoke is able to sense some difference between human-style magical "spells" and Grace's Uryuom/Lespuko transformations. Remember, Grace is different even from most Greater Seyunolu because her Lespuko genes allow her to seamlessly mix and match attributes. The change in Smoke's pupils for panels 2-3 also resembles Dan's style for showing characters activating a "special vision mode", so he may have some sort of magical sight that is giving him information.

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

My first though after seeing this page was also that he's wizard and wanted to learn new spell. And, yes, apparently it doesn't work on Grace's technically magic ...

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

From what we've seen of Camdin, I'm not so sure he'd tell Luke that he could learn other people's spells.  I could definitely see him using Luke's ability to look at people and see their magic, and then if he wanted to discuss someone in particular with Luke, saying, "Hey, check that person, could you?  No?  How about that one?  And that one?  Bingo!"

IF it's Camdin. Remember Dan saying something about this being uncharacteristic for Camdin? Maybe this is some wizard who copied Camdin's smoke form ...

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Can't be a Seer or else Tedd wouldn't have been the first person to blind Luke.

Yes. Also the timeframe wouldn't work, he certainly had nowhere to learn about second purpose so he would be eligible.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

and I'm leaning towards the belief that being marked or awoken by immortals produces a different kind of magic user than someone who specifically trains as a wizard (like Nanase could have been a wizard if not for Helena and Demetrius awakening her) I've submitted this as a Q&A question on patreon though so hopefully Dan sees it and answers it.

I remember some answer/comment saying that if someone is marked with something else than his natural affinity his first spell may be different but eventually he starts getting spells for his affinity. And, Tedd was marked and it didn't caused him to stop being wizard.

Therefore, I would conclude that if Nanase would have wizard affinity, being awakened by immortals wouldn't nullify it:  she would either get wizard abilities anyway or possibly later. Either she's not wizard because her father isn't magic user, or she's wizard and just didn't learned anything yet because she has most spells already :)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I remember some answer/comment saying that if someone is marked with something else than his natural affinity his first spell may be different but eventually he starts getting spells for his affinity. And, Tedd was marked and it didn't caused him to stop being wizard.

Tedd's different in that he was born with all the abilities of a Seer so being marked wouldn't cancel those out, but how a person learns magic could affect what type of magic user they become, like Nanase was dreaming by way of using martial arts and then awakened and given a spell by Immortals rather than training however Adrian trained Edward and Noriko.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Therefore, I would conclude that if Nanase would have wizard affinity, being awakened by immortals wouldn't nullify it:  she would either get wizard abilities anyway or possibly later. Either she's not wizard because her father isn't magic user, or she's wizard and just didn't learned anything yet because she has most spells already :)

I would think that as powerful as Nanase is showing to be, she'd already be showing signs of wizard abilities and learning other people's spells, but as far as we've seen she's only learning new spells by using spells she's already learned. But yeah, it's possible that her father isn't a wizard, but might have high magic potential anyway despite not being awakened so that Nanase could still be powerful?

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd's different in that he was born with all the abilities of a Seer so being marked wouldn't cancel those out, but how a person learns magic could affect what type of magic user they become, like Nanase was dreaming by way of using martial arts and then awakened and given a spell by Immortals rather than training however Adrian trained Edward and Noriko.

Being wizard isn't "type of magic user". People are born with that distinction. It's hereditary affinity just like Susan has summoning affinity. You can probably be good magic user and still weak wizard if you don't train your wizard abilities, but you won't STOP being wizard.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I would think that as powerful as Nanase is showing to be, she'd already be showing signs of wizard abilities and learning other people's spells, but as far as we've seen she's only learning new spells by using spells she's already learned.

I meant that she doesn't see many spells cast by other people, and she's not TRYING to learn them. Although trying may not be strictly necessary, it likely helps.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But yeah, it's possible that her father isn't a wizard, but might have high magic potential anyway despite not being awakened so that Nanase could still be powerful?

Or Mrs. Kitsune has so big potential that it would need several generations to dilute it. Being wizard is guaranteed when both parents are wizards, but otherwise it may not be as straightforward.