• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday February 22, 2019

So how is Camdin eating a sandwich while Brave Sir Smokey, unbeknownst to Camdin, is running away from Grace? Methinks Lord Dan has pitched us a curve, or, for you cricket aficionados, bowled us a googly.

Now if Camdin was a wizard like Nanase, this Smokey could be his clone, like Fox. But do we really think Camdin is a wizard? 

So, if Smokey isn't really Camdin, why does he or she seem to have the same spell? Well, I can think of someone who's close to Camdin, whether he wants to be or not, but I think Luke isn't to be enough of a jerk or enough of an actor to impersonate Camdin even if he learned Camdin's spell.

Voltaire is definitely qualified, but why would Volty run away? Well, maybe Volty can see that Grace is a danger even to him. However, Voltaire has met Grace at least once, and was controlling Dex while Grace and Greg were fighting the fire guys at Greg's dojo. Perhaps Voltaire's vast intelligence actually missed that Tedd's girlfriend was the same squirrel woman at the dojo, probably because his even more vast arrogance got in the way. But that arrogance would also get in the way of running away. 

Who is Smoke?

If Grace is correct in the wizard assessment, then I would offer a few guesses.

Smoke is an inexperienced wizard.
Smoke has, thus far, only learned transformation spells.
Smoke may be under the impression that transformation spells are the only spell type Smoke is able to learn.
Smoke has never knowingly encountered a significantly more powerful wielder of magic or someone with alien abilities.

Smoke has been playing with magic and was probably a big fish in a small pond.
Grace is the Shark in the next pond over.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

In the context of EGS magic users type, she isn't a wizard.

Wasn't a wizard, but this is the New World now, so with the Uryuom restrictions on magic removed, Grace might be at least a potential wizard now.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Now if Camdin was a wizard like Nanase, this Smokey could be his clone, like Fox. But do we really think Camdin is a wizard? 

except there's no evidence that Nanase is a wizard, all her spells, including Fox were gained by the frequent use of her other spells and are a reflection of who she is. Fox, for instance, is a likely upgrade to her color clones spell that allows for a more persistent (as in it won't go poof when it touches anything) clone.

So, if Smokey isn't really Camdin, why does he or she seem to have the same spell? Well, I can think of someone who's close to Camdin, whether he wants to be or not, but I think Luke isn't to be enough of a jerk or enough of an actor to impersonate Camdin even if he learned Camdin's spell.

Quite possible that "Smokey" is the other friend of Luke's that is a non-marked magic user. That would mean that "Smokey" also has Luke's aura detection ability.

12 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Voltaire is definitely qualified, but why would Volty run away? Well, maybe Volty can see that Grace is a danger even to him. However, Voltaire has met Grace at least once, and was controlling Dex while Grace and Greg were fighting the fire guys at Greg's dojo. Perhaps Voltaire's vast intelligence actually missed that Tedd's girlfriend was the same squirrel woman at the dojo, probably because his even more vast arrogance got in the way. But that arrogance would also get in the way of running away. 

Dan's stated that Voltaire has no motives for being there, and so it's unlikely that he manipulate someone in this way again because it's nowhere near the scale that he desires if he manages to change immortal law. I also doubt that Voltaire forgot about Grace.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Smoke has never knowingly encountered a significantly more powerful wielder of magic or someone with alien abilities.

It probably wouldn't have hurt to mention there being 3 types of magic users, wizards and non wizards that share spells, and then Grace is just a rare third type that uses magic differently. Grace could be like a Blue Mage from the Final Fantasy franchise but instead of learning the attacks of other by getting hit by them, she learns forms from getting "enchanted*" with them. It wouldn't be too far from the truth yet still keeping her heritage secret.

* I know she's not actually enchanted, but that's how she could explain it and sound credible.

The funny thing about this reveal is that if Dan hadn't linked Camdin and his powers when Smoke first showed up, I would have never have thought the two were the same person. Smoke doesn't act like Camdin, and doesn't look like what I'd expect a smoke-form of Camdin would look like. (Plus I had forgotten about him.)

I would say that I called that but I wasn't alone so it was probably pretty obvious.

18 hours ago, Stature said:

Now I want the sandwich that Camdin is eating.

I would definitely prefer sandwich created by comic artists than sandwich created by big company. Comic artists tend to stay with few simple ingredients.

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Nanase is NOT a wizard. However, if Smokey would see Fox, he might be able to learn that spell ...

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Smoke is an inexperienced wizard.
Smoke has, thus far, only learned transformation spells.
Smoke may be under the impression that transformation spells are the only spell type Smoke is able to learn.

Smoke may be under the impression that transformation spells are only spells which EXISTS.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Quite possible that "Smokey" is the other friend of Luke's that is a non-marked magic user. That would mean that "Smokey" also has Luke's aura detection ability.

You mean that he learned Luke's spell. Yes.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It probably wouldn't have hurt to mention there being 3 types of magic users, wizards and non wizards that share spells, and then Grace is just a rare third type that uses magic differently. Grace could be like a Blue Mage from the Final Fantasy franchise but instead of learning the attacks of other by getting hit by them, she learns forms from getting "enchanted*" with them. It wouldn't be too far from the truth yet still keeping her heritage secret.

* I know she's not actually enchanted, but that's how she could explain it and sound credible.

Grace isn't rare third type. She's (part)Uryuom and uses Uryuom "technically magic" instead of Earth magic. THATS why he wouldn't able to learn it.

... but yes, she might try to explain it this way.

31 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Grace isn't rare third type. She's (part)Uryuom and uses Uryuom "technically magic" instead of Earth magic. THATS why he wouldn't able to learn it.

I'm not so sure about that. If Uryuoms were never able to learn and use human magic, why did this happen?

Oh, they did and do now. In fact, Grace is already able to use human magic to change her clothes. Also, there is this Uryuom who ... oh wait, he's probably using magic wand. Wait, he uses magic wand - Uryuoms were not able to do that in past either.

But she's primary using Uryuom "technically magic" and either she used just it for this specific transformation, or she used enough of it Smoke didn't saw the clothes change over the transformation which was NOT using Earth magic.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

They didn't.

Please tell me they didn't.

No, this kind o Blue Mage.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

But she's primary using Uryuom "technically magic" and either she used just it for this specific transformation, or she used enough of it Smoke didn't saw the clothes change over the transformation which was NOT using Earth magic.

We're not exactly sure that what Grace did to resize her clothes was earth magic or Uryuom magic, we do know that she's capable of learning earth magic but it was supposed to be difficult for her, did that magic "change" instantly make it easy or...

Actually if she was only using Uryuom power for all her shapeshifting and such, how would she have an earth base spell right off the bat? how would she get an earth magic spell if she technically never had any to begin with?

52 minutes ago, Scotty said:

how would she get an earth magic spell if she technically never had any to begin with?

Watching people with magic, like, for instance, Tedd, or Edward? Tedd spent an awful lot of time studying how Elliot was able to create and alter clothes.

Watching people with magic, like, for instance, Tedd, or Edward? Tedd spent an awful lot of time studying how Elliot was able to create and alter clothes.

Do you really think Dan would make Grace a Wizard? That's the only way she'd be able to get a spell like that.

Only other guess would be that Pandora gave her the spell in a "One day you'll be able to learn how to suppress your other powers to use this." way.

Or maybe the WoM gave her the spell as a kind of payment for her involvement, I'd wonder if Disco Wizard also got something if that was the case.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'd wonder if Disco Wizard also got something if that was the case.

It would probably be best for the Emissary of Magic if he just forgot the whole thing.

Otherwise, after the magic rule change DW wakes up and thinks, "Oh, that's why I haven't had a good night's sleep for a year.  Should I look up this Grace Sciuridae person and apologize?"

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That's why I was saying it would be best if he forgot everything.  If after the rule change he woke up with some "reward" that also included the memory of what he was doing as the Emissary, that would just make his life more difficult.

As the Emissary, after speaking to Pandora, he already realized that what actually needed to be done had almost nothing to do with what he was doing in the dream state or the power which he had received.

Still, there may be reasons to continue as the Disco Wizard...

When there's trouble you
Call D W

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We're not exactly sure that what Grace did to resize her clothes was earth magic or Uryuom magic, we do know that she's capable of learning earth magic but it was supposed to be difficult for her, did that magic "change" instantly make it easy or...

Actually if she was only using Uryuom power for all her shapeshifting and such, how would she have an earth base spell right off the bat? how would she get an earth magic spell if she technically never had any to begin with?

We don't know exactly the reasoning, but we know that Uryuom magic is not capable of affecting clothes (even on home planet ; they had to specifically created outfit which conform to any body shape) and we know that Grace IS able to do it now, since the magic change.

In fact, she specifically need to focus on NOT changing clothes. That would actually suggest it's not a spell she has, but earth magic reacting on uryuom magic.

... which would mean that now, when uryuom magic doesn't block her from obtaining earth magic, she can start training to get earth magic by NOT changing clothes, because that's using her will on changing what earth magic does. From point of earth magic, she's probably now dreaming and doesn't have any spell, just like Justin didn't had any spell before Pandora marked him and was STILL able to use illusion magic.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That's why I was saying it would be best if he forgot everything.  If after the rule change he woke up with some "reward" that also included the memory of what he was doing as the Emissary, that would just make his life more difficult.

He said he knows there still is a problem ; similarly, he might not remember any details, but remember that he solved the problem successfully - and could get reward for that.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Oh, that's why I haven't had a good night's sleep for a year.

... he is specifically casting spell. He knows that he didn't have good night sleep because of casting this spell ... and BTW, I don't think it took a year. We saw his third try ; sure, there wasn't much progress back then, but I would still assume it took weeks, not whole year.

Also, Grace looked into something last weekend ... meaning, it probably wasn't every night.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

We don't know exactly the reasoning, but we know that Uryuom magic is not capable of affecting clothes (even on home planet ; they had to specifically created outfit which conform to any body shape) and we know that Grace IS able to do it now, since the magic change.

Wouldn't it be funny if the entire reason for Ancient Uryuoms to have attempted to take Heka's library was because they wanted the ability to morph clothing them? And their defeat lead to finding alternative methods like the worker suit.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Wouldn't it be funny if the entire reason for Ancient Uryuoms to have attempted to take Heka's library was because they wanted the ability to morph clothing them? And their defeat lead to finding alternative methods like the worker suit.

Funny, yes, but hard to believe. Mainly because they already COULD morph clothes ; I mean, before the magic changed to SPECIFICALLY block Uryuoms, their transformation likely worked the same way as Grace's, changing clothes included. Although ... maybe just on Earth. Maybe they wanted to take the library to their parent planet or find a way to extend earth magic on parent planet.

Also, while Dan avoids the question of how Uryuom got here like plague, they were here ; the worker suit was likely created BEFORE spaceships with FTL engines.

More likely, this is related to some internal conflict Uryuom had ; after this defeat, control of parent planet took totalitarian religious regime which limited research so much that in several hundreds years which passed since then Uryuoms had basically zero progress and even now, some areas of research are forbidden by law, like using object programming in CMD.

(Seriously, they had FTL engines hundreds of years ago ; what were they doing since then? They should have galactic empire by now! And don't say they have ; William specifically mentioned laws of parent planet as if Earth was only place where he could find someone who could program the CMD. That implies Earth is second inhabitable planet they found, and they must've flown around Mars - WE already have technology to terraform Mars (although not the resources), civilization which has FTL engines for hundreds of years must consider Mars inhabitable.)

40 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Whenever there's trouble, they're there on the double!

I thought whenever there's trouble Kim Possible was there on the double; it's in her theme song, after all.

Edited by Tom Sewell
spelling