• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday February 25, 2019

So, is the age of flannel and grunge rock reference I didn't get? Or just something which was like around 1990 so not THAT long ago? (Wait ... am I old?)

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

I said the artifact was missing.

I think someone said the scales are the artifact.

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
7 hours ago, mlooney said:

I said the artifact was missing.

Minor detail.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

So, is the age of flannel and grunge rock reference I didn't get? Or just something which was like around 1990 so not THAT long ago? (Wait ... am I old?)

Yeah in the comments Dan said it was around 1990, and Ashley is just being extra dramatic in saying that it was super long ago. It's basically the same gag as saying "the age of disco and polyester" for the 1970s.

And I think we did have the idea that the scales themselves are the artifact popping up in the conversation soon after they appeared in the comic . . .

Ah the 90's fond, fond memories. when technology seemed to make leaps and bounds, when music was still good and video games paid more attention to story rather than graphics.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The Artifact can be used for "Not Funsies"?!

What was this maniacal Fairy thinking when she made such an abomination?

As with many things, there are beneficial and malevolent applications depending on people's intentions with them. The scales could be fun for parties or sexytimes, but in the wrong hands someone could use it to steal another person's identity, as we saw earlier, tipping the scales one way made Sarah look like Nanase(not exactly because other factors were in play but you get the idea).

Diane didn't deny the possibility of having evil plans for the scales, though it's unlikely to be all that evil.

20 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yeah in the comments Dan said it was around 1990

It's not under the comics OR on twitter. WHERE he said it?

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

Ah the 90's fond, fond memories. when technology seemed to make leaps and bounds, when music was still good and video games paid more attention to story rather than graphics.

Also, I didn't need to spend eight hours in work every day ...

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, first three years of the 90's was 6 and a half hours of school, (9-3:30) and 4 years with 6 hours of school (8:30 to 2:30) THEN the work started.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's not under the comics OR on twitter. WHERE he said it?

My bad, he said it in the Patreon post, not the comments on the main site.

On 2/26/2019 at 6:45 AM, Scotty said:

And when if you decided not to (or in my family's case couldn't afford to) keep up with the latest technology you weren't seen as a Luddite or behind the times...

I didn't listen to much music on the radio back in the 90s (I mostly listened to movie scores on audio tape) so I don't have much nostalgia for the music of that era. I don't find much that interests me on the radio these days, but with multiple ways to buy or stream music online (including stuff so obscure or niche it would never make it on the radio) and much of the music that has ever been recorded available in one fashion or another I think these days are a good time to enjoy music.

As for video games, that depends on the game. I still remember how much they advertised the enhanced graphical capabilities of the SNES and Genesis relative to the NES, and there were many games that included among their selling points their graphics. (And then they made a big deal about the switch to 3D graphics with the N64 and Playstation, which annoyed me because I preferred 2d graphics and because most of the early 3d games looked pretty ugly to me; but good looking or not it still represents a focus on graphics.) There certainly were games with good stories during that era (in my experience mostly JRPGs and "Adventure" games that would now be called RPGs too) but the impression I got was that the more story-heavy games rarely sold as well in the US as the mostly story-free Action and Sports games (leading to that great tragedy, Enix giving up on producing English versions of their games).

(Mind you, I stopped trying to keep up on the latest games in the late 90s, and these days I almost never play recently released games, so I'm not really comparing the games of the 90s to those of the present, I'm just relating my memories of being a video game fan in the early-to-mid 90s.)

21 hours ago, Scotty said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, first three years of the 90's was 6 and a half hours of school, (9-3:30) and 4 years with 6 hours of school (8:30 to 2:30) THEN the work started.

My point was that one of the top reason 90's seems so great is we were younger then.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I didn't listen to much music on the radio back in the 90s (I mostly listened to movie scores on audio tape) so I don't have much nostalgia for the music of that era. I don't find much that interests me on the radio these days, but with multiple ways to buy or stream music online (including stuff so obscure or niche it would never make it on the radio) and much of the music that has ever been recorded available in one fashion or another I think these days are a good time to enjoy music.

Since the invention of walkman (July 1, 1979) it was not requirement to enjoy the music which is currently on radio, and with time it becomes less and less so.

It's true that it was only few years ago when I become able to take ALL music I like with me everywhere without it feeling too heavy.

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Mind you, I stopped trying to keep up on the latest games in the late 90s, and these days I almost never play recently released games, so I'm not really comparing the games of the 90s to those of the present, I'm just relating my memories of being a video game fan in the early-to-mid 90s.

I think I NEVER kept up with the latest games .... but the gap is getting longer and longer.

Based on various people complaining that games today are more stupid that games which I already considered stupid, I don't plan to skip anything. Next on list is Portal :)

(... and it will probably take some time before I get to play it ... although I must admit I play some newer games, but not on PC, on phone ; last game I played on PC was Chrono Trigger and that was because Grace said it is time.)

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Since the invention of walkman (July 1, 1979) it was not requirement to enjoy the music which is currently on radio, and with time it becomes less and less so.

Actually, before that there was the record player (though you couldn't easily bring one of those with you wherever you went).

52 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think I NEVER kept up with the latest games .... but the gap is getting longer and longer.

Based on various people complaining that games today are more stupid that games which I already considered stupid, I don't plan to skip anything. Next on list is Portal :)

(... and it will probably take some time before I get to play it ... although I must admit I play some newer games, but not on PC, on phone ; last game I played on PC was Chrono Trigger and that was because Grace said it is time.)

I jump around quite a bit; it only took me a year to get to Metroid: Samus Returns, but I didn't start in on Zelda: Skyward Sword until last spring, and I just beat Dragon Quest/Warrior II and III for the first time this month.

I never liked the grunge music or fashion.  To me it just seemed like whiney upper-middle-class kids pretending to be hard up, and I didn't see the appeal to anyone out of their early teens.  I'd gone through my own "sorta heavy metal" phase at that early teen age and grown out of it long before grunge, so the idea that it was supposed to be the "voice of my generation" really annoyed me!

Computer game-wise, I went from Pong to Zork-style text adventure and Atari to PLATO to a few computer games on a C64 and later PC, but I was rarely cutting-edge.  I did play Myst when I did a zoo externship and stayed in someone's guest room where their son's computer was....at one point I mentioned how far I'd gotten, and he realized I was a lot farther on his game than he was.  I was able to buy a game if it really interested me, like Myst (which I did buy when I went home so I could finish it), but I wouldn't have been able to buy every game.

I don't think I've actually been into computer games since the 90s, other than a brief obsession with Facebook games back when they were first a thing, and another with The Sims free versions online.  Hmm, and I suppose the Sims 2 was after the 90s....and some Pokemon GO more recently....okay, maybe I've played in an equally sporadic manner since then.  ;-P