• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
CritterKeeper

Story: Thursday, March 3, 2016

Nobody ever seems to actually read their spell book. Except Nanase. But I guess compared to all the other studying she does, keeping up with her spell book isn't so boring.

Nanase does, but apparently not as often as she thought since she didn't know about being able to customize fairy doll outfits, then again, something like that could have been easily overlooked.

Aside from Nanase, Susan never was eager to learn new spells after awakening due to how she awakened and how she got magic in the first place, I think after being told about the stuff she could possibly do with the fairies, she might read up on it more often.  Ellen would probably flip through her book occasionally but not very often. The last time Elliot probably looked at his book might have been after he got the superhero form and secret IDs.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Nanase does, but apparently not as often as she thought since she didn't know about being able to customize fairy doll outfits, then again, something like that could have been easily overlooked.

Aside from Nanase, Susan never was eager to learn new spells after awakening due to how she awakened and how she got magic in the first place, I think after being told about the stuff she could possibly do with the fairies, she might read up on it more often.  Ellen would probably flip through her book occasionally but not very often. The last time Elliot probably looked at his book might have been after he got the superhero form and secret IDs.

No one seems to be reading their spellbook.  Nanase didn't notice an upgrade, Susan didn't know she had either an upgrade or new spells, Justin doesn't know he HAS a spellbook, and of course Elliot hasn't been reading his.   The only mage of the main 8, in canon, who we haven't seen not know something about their spells, is Ellen.

Earlier on though Nanase was reading her spell book pretty much every day while she was trying to get non sneaking spells. She was surprised when Tedd chastised her for not keeping up with her spell book, which she thought she had been, it's possible she hasn't been reading it every day lately but I'd think she'd at least be looking at it twice a week, which would still probably be the most out of everyone in the main 8 that has a book.

4 minutes ago, Tobyc said:

I still don't think Elliott is dumb enough to keep making the mistake of neglecting the book after what happened the first time.

I wouldn't be too sure. He does strike me as a "make the same mistake 8 times" kind of guy. He means well, and he isn't stupid, but he is a bit predictable and doesn't seem to put a whole lot of thought into his choices. I can see him checking the book regularly for maybe a week or two, then going back into his old routine and forgetting to keep up with it. 

I still wonder if his "phone integration" allows him to use something else than call. Like ... SMS? GPS? Internet?

Also, is this "integration" specific for Cheerleadra form and Heidi has "normal" hidden pocket, or does Heidi have this power too?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Earlier on though Nanase was reading her spell book pretty much every day while she was trying to get non sneaking spells. She was surprised when Tedd chastised her for not keeping up with her spell book, which she thought she had been, it's possible she hasn't been reading it every day lately but I'd think she'd at least be looking at it twice a week, which would still probably be the most out of everyone in the main 8 that has a book.

I think she check at least twice a week, maybe more often, if something new appeared ON THE END. Re-reading whole book for case something appeared in middle? That would be too time-consuming to do weekly even if she would want to. So, IMHO the information about new outfit appeared in the middle and THAT's why she overlook it.

48 minutes ago, Sjmcc13 said:

I you remember panel 3 of : http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1254 Elliot likely does not fully understand his spell book

I'm not sure NANASE always does. Remember, it's very verbose and it's making up new words.

I think Nanase would at least remember that some spells can gain extra functions like her fairy doll's glitter, crystal ball and fae punch, so she would at least check back with many spells to see if they can do something new, however, I can see the subject of customizing the outfit being a bit more obscured in the the part of the spell that describes the actual creation of the fairy doll, something she probably never expected could change. Now that she knows that every aspect of a spell can get stuff added or changed, she'll probably be more thorough.

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure NANASE always does. Remember, it's very verbose and it's making up new words.

Nanase said something of the sort one time, but the way she said it implied that it's not actually making words up, it just uses words that aren't in common usage.

you know what's wrong with me; you know phrenology
you saw my injury and you can tell just by looking at my skull.
contrecoup on the rebound. Contrecoup hurt me again
and the second was worse by far then the first
'cause it left me limerent

You know, language like that.

45 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

contrecoup on the rebound. Contrecoup hurt me again

and the second was worse by far then the first

'cause it left me limerent

Cool!  Naturally I knew contrecoup, it's a pretty well-known medical phenomena, but limerence is new and expresses a concept I didn't know a good word for before!  May I ask what you were quoting there?

11 hours ago, CritterKeepe said:

Comic [url="http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2163"]here.

As stated elsewhere, are we really sure Elliot has been neglecting his spellbook?  Or did he just get an upgrade or two today or in the recent past?

Unknown at this moment. We'll probably get clarification in the next page.

10 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Elliot, would you PLEASE reference your spellbook more? Maybe on-panel, so we know what your spells are?

This would be nice.

6 hours ago, Changer said:
6 hours ago, Tobyc said:

I still don't think Elliott is dumb enough to keep making the mistake of neglecting the book after what happened the first time.

I wouldn't be too sure. He does strike me as a "make the same mistake 8 times" kind of guy. He means well, and he isn't stupid, but he is a bit predictable and doesn't seem to put a whole lot of thought into his choices. I can see him checking the book regularly for maybe a week or two, then going back into his old routine and forgetting to keep up with it. 

Hah, I seem to have figured out a way to force nested quotes. (You have to multiquote both posts, then drag one quote inside the other in the WYSIWYG editor). Also, I agree with Changer.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I still wonder if his "phone integration" allows him to use something else than call. Like ... SMS? GPS? Internet?

Also, is this "integration" specific for Cheerleadra form and Heidi has "normal" hidden pocket, or does Heidi have this power too?

I think she check at least twice a week, maybe more often, if something new appeared ON THE END. Re-reading whole book for case something appeared in middle? That would be too time-consuming to do weekly even if she would want to. So, IMHO the information about new outfit appeared in the middle and THAT's why she overlook it.

This post is an example of why we need the nesting quotes. Is this even possible to understand in context without following the linkback three different times? Now what if we had an entire chain going on, with multiple multiquote responses? Anyways, I think the GPS, Internet, SMS integration would be a cool thing.

ALSO, just so everyone knows: On these boards hitting enter adds a new line in between the line you're writing on and the next thing you type. Like so:

: See? No need to hit the enter button twice to spread paragraphs out. Now, if you need merely a carriage return and not an empty new line between them, hit "shift+enter" to get the next line without excess spacing. Like so:
: see? :)

8 minutes ago, Matoyak said:

Hah, I seem to have figured out a way to force nested quotes. (You have to multiquote both posts, then drag one quote inside the other in the WYSIWYG editor).

*snip*

This post is an example of why we need the nesting quotes. Is this even possible to understand in context without following the linkback three different times? Now what if we had an entire chain going on, with multiple multiquote responses?

*snip*

ALSO, just so everyone knows: On these boards hitting enter adds a new line in between the line you're writing on and the next thing you type. Like so:

: See? No need to hit the enter button twice to spread paragraphs out. Now, if you need merely a carriage return and not an empty new line between them, hit "shift+enter" to get the next line without excess spacing. Like so:
: see? :)

This is useful information, and should probably be in a separate thread, maybe in the General section.

1 hour ago, OzLionHeart said:

This is useful information, and should probably be in a separate thread, maybe in the General section.

Good idea, I'll throw together a post real quick with some of the basic info I've figured out from playing around on the forums the past hour or so :). It won't stay accurate for too long, due to upgrades and other such stuff being done as the forums get put into order (Like @Robin has implied that BBCode will probably be coming as soon as it gets fixed on the forum software end, and in the meantime if we wish [and we {or at least I} definitely do] they'll turn on HTML formatting for us).

But some basic stuff on how the editor seems to be working would be good, and then others can add what they've figured out to it as well. :)

EDIT: And done. Here's the thread as promised:

Edited by Matoyak

I actually was confused how Ashley would know that Elliot couldn't be using his phone to answer her, but then I realized that Ashley would have been able to tell by Elliot's voice that he was still in superhero mode and come to that conclusion herself. I can imagine Ashley had already dialed Elliot's number when Ellen mentioned the possibility of it not working, which would explain her surprise that it did work.

11 hours ago, CritterKeepe said:

Cool!  Naturally I knew contrecoup, it's a pretty well-known medical phenomena, but limerence is new and expresses a concept I didn't know a good word for before!  May I ask what you were quoting there?

They Might Be Giants, "Contrecoup"

Comic fans have long obsessed over technical details that comic writers and editors will just dismiss.
I remember a silver age Superman comic where artist Curt Swan drew himself into the story and became a raving fan-boy when he saw Clark change into the  Super Suit.

"How do you keep the cape from bunching up under your regular clothes?  How..."

"Because I'm Superman.  That's how."

If comic artists, writers, and editors could give free reign to their inner detail crazed fans, more comics would end up like EGS.

There's the Pibgorn comic where the title character has her lower body rebuilt by a machine... though her reaction to phone calls is considerably more NSFW.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Comic fans have long obsessed over technical details that comic writers and editors will just dismiss.

If comic artists, writers, and editors could give free reign to their inner detail crazed fans, more comics would end up like EGS.

I would definitely appreciate that.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

There's the Pibgorn comic where the title character has her lower body rebuilt by a machine... though her reaction to phone calls is considerably more NSFW.

Pibgorn runs for more that 10 years. Can you be more specific?

EDIT: NWM, found it by google: April 2015.

We don't really know how does the magic behind the spellbooks work, but the first thing I would do is see if there is a way to digitize (is that the word?) it, set an app that notify me every time the document has changed, and tell me what lines were added / modified, like Git does. There is a point in time where keeping track of that damn thing, in a physical book, is simply unfeasible, and it would be really annoying well before that point.

45 minutes ago, exterminator said:

We don't really know how does the magic behind the spellbooks work, but the first thing I would do is see if there is a way to digitize (is that the word?) it, set an app that notify me every time the document has changed, and tell me what lines were added / modified, like Git does. There is a point in time where keeping track of that damn thing, in a physical book, is simply unfeasible, and it would be really annoying well before that point.

Tedd! Get on it! (Hah, the idea of Git Repos for each magic user is pretty great too).